Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Have a Problem with Yogis
I Have a Problem with Yogis
I have a major problem with yogis. Not bears , gurus. Not enough time is spent on these atheist forums debating the central doctrines of those seeking mergence with the Cosmic Consciousness. I spent a few years in my younger days pursuing this pipe dream. I practiced Kundalini Yoga, Bhakti Yoga. Read Jiddhu Krishnarmati, Paramahansa Yogananda, Sufi Sam. Went to lectures and workshops , spiritual retreats and ashrams.

The idea of god that was presented to me then was quite cerebral. God is universal mind. Not just a Santa Claus type of mind that knows when you've been bad or good. A mind that is all. That is the twist. All that exists is gods mind. We are living in an illusion. The illusion is that we are separate, unique entities. We live in Maya, the churning cycle of karma. Life , death, rebirth. Until we finally lose our egos, our separateness and merge into the one mind, all that exists. I was taught a way to pray was to say "God is..." and start naming things. "God is the dog , god is the postman, god is the moon, god is the newspaper, god is love." We are but thoughts of god. God is the creator, sustainer, and destroyer. The present moment is the sustaining part. Every moment is continuous creation. That is what I believed and what I was taught.

Bull shit! If this is so , then the only reason to be a good person and help others is to gain good karma so you can be released from the wheels of Maya. If god is everything and all is gods thought , then so is the rapist and serial killer. God is Hitler, God is Cholera. You can see the problem here. It is all an illusion, right. A Cosmic joke.

If this is true then why the need for liberal thought, individual freedom, justice, morality? Why fight to overcome poverty, racism, sexism?Why even try. Just do like Buddha, sit under a tree, starve to death , and merge with the one.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: I Have a Problem with Yogis
The bottom line is that all this mystical talk should prusade you in to becoming servant, many critics characterize it as slavery. Not to enjoy you life, but to persue unbearable or painful ideals of compassion to attain "true happiness". There isn't a higher ideal, but the its so bitter in taste, that many see permanent death as a good ending. Although, for the reason that such unnatural ideals of self sacrifice exist and there are people who live by them, I doubt that atheists are right on their materialistic world view.
I agree, it is dangerous nonsense and should be challenged. I'd like to here more about it being taken down too.

(October 8, 2016 at 6:15 am)purplepurpose Wrote: The bottom line is that all this mystical talk should prusade  you in to becoming servant, many critics characterize it as slavery. Not to enjoy you life, but to persue unbearable or painful ideals of compassion to attain "true happiness". There isn't a higher ideal, but the its so bitter in taste, that many see permanent death as a good ending. Although, for the reason that such unnatural ideals of self sacrifice exist and there are people who live by them, I doubt that atheists are right on their materialistic world view.

Bold mine.

Not all atheists are materialists. You shouldn't have to keep misrepresenting atheists to make your points.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The urge to stereotype is strong in that one.
I have a problem with anyone call them priests or rabbis or clerics or even Buddhist monks the same way I have a problem with psychics. If you are peddling something that merely amounts to a club claiming to have a cure all for humanity, knowing what I know about the scientific evolutionary fact that we are all the same species, and that our species behaviors are not rooted in mythology or old books or old clubs, you are merely making claims based on tribal and local social norms and nothing at all based on objective science.

Gurus, Imams, Popes, Lamas all the same. Holy people who have managed to convince others to follow out of an artificial construct humans confuse as being the root of our existence rather than a product of our flawed perceptions.
(October 8, 2016 at 7:53 am)Whateverist Wrote: The urge to stereotype is strong in that one.

Yup. I've been on him a while now, so he's either just completely ignoring any correction or deliberately being annoying for the sake of it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Let me guess, they keep swiping your pic-a-nic baskets?
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(October 8, 2016 at 8:11 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: Let me guess, they keep swiping your pic-a-nic baskets?

Or

Dark Helmet from Spaceballs "Yogurt, I hate Yogurt"
(October 8, 2016 at 5:57 am)chimp3 Wrote: I have a major problem with yogis. Not bears , gurus. Not enough time is spent on these atheist forums debating the central doctrines of those seeking mergence with the Cosmic Consciousness. I spent a few years in my younger days pursuing this pipe dream. I practiced Kundalini Yoga, Bhakti Yoga. Read Jiddhu Krishnarmati, Paramahansa Yogananda, Sufi Sam. Went to lectures and workshops , spiritual retreats and ashrams.

The idea of god that was presented to me then was quite cerebral. God is universal mind. Not just a Santa Claus type of mind that knows when you've been bad or good. A mind that is all. That is the twist. All that exists is gods mind. We are living in an illusion. The illusion is that we are separate, unique entities. We live in Maya, the churning cycle of karma. Life , death, rebirth. Until we finally lose our egos, our separateness and merge into the one mind, all that exists. I was taught a way to pray was to say "God is..." and start naming things. "God is the dog , god is the postman, god is the moon, god is the newspaper, god is love." We are but thoughts of god. God is the creator, sustainer, and destroyer. The present moment is the sustaining part. Every moment is continuous creation. That is what I believed and what I was taught.

Bull shit! If this is so , then the only reason to be a good person and help others is to gain good karma so you can be released from the wheels of Maya. If god is everything and all is gods thought , then so is the rapist and serial killer. God is Hitler, God is Cholera. You can see the problem here. It is all an illusion, right. A Cosmic joke.

If this is true then why the need for liberal thought, individual freedom, justice, morality? Why fight to overcome poverty, racism, sexism?Why even try. Just do like Buddha, sit under a tree, starve to death , and merge with the one.

Your problem chimp is that you do not understand how free will works.  Banging Head On Desk

God did not tell Hitler to do evil thing nor he create cholera and any other disaster.
When your kids get out the instinct dimension (plants and animals) then free will kicks in and
humans create the good or the bad.
Nothing to do with God.  Lightbulb
It's weird that God was mentioned at all in your training. In my experience, even non-secular branches of yoga don't really natter on about God. That said, spiritual yoga is just about the least harmful "religion" on the planet, so meh. As with Buddhism, I don't remotely mind their practice, teachings or beliefs. It's about as dangerous as me believing my mom makes the best soup in the world.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will Aroura 163 45718 June 5, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  When I am asked Why I have a problem with Religion, Its hard to come out with a single answer. Gooders1002 11 3229 April 29, 2013 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye