Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
priests, parasites of society
priests, parasites of society
hello
I'm a 30 yer old atheist from romania. I tried a forum from romania, but the registrations were closed.
I lost my faith when I was 16. it had a lot to do with my computer. I am self thought in art and computer graphics. I tried to use scientific knowledge to pull me out hard spots.  I don't like working mechanically, like measuring proportions. for example I like to think of humans as having big lower limbs to sustain bipedalism and this gives proportions some meaning.
I try my best to learn about evolution, about man made objects, the importance of symbols (specific only to homo sapiens). it's fun, but it didn't really paid of so far. I spend my last 10 years excluding religion from my experience. surprisingly, it didn't seem like priests would bother me, other then just being there at social events.
nonetheless I partly blame religion for the degrading situation I'm in. I live in my parents house and they gave me most of my money. there is a tremendous pressure from my parents and people around that I make my own money. but all those people are religious to some extend and they have no problem when the government pays nice salaries to priests. they have no problem with civilians donating money on different religious occasions.
I may be non productive, but there is this bred of people who have a phony job, phony studies, phony lives that are, paradoxically, paid and supported by the government. I'm a a smoker, but I don't ask for subventions cause I'm stupid. I don't say I want their money, I just wish that priest wouldn't have the first change in society. their excuse is that during the middle ages, they had land and influence. after secularization the state took it and issued a law by witch priest are getting paid for their land.
let me just dwell on the matter for a moment. being toward rationality doesn't mean being stupid out of your pocket. that's missing the point of all the progress that removed religious authority.
so now I have this burst, because I can't keep my eyes closed and ignoring religion anymore. maybe it's not the way to go and I should focus on my work, but I know this social facts will keep me down to some degree.
I don't have a global view on this situation, so I wait for different stories about religion and their funds.
thank you.
RE: priests, parasites of society
Yes, to answer your implied question as long as by "parasite" you mean an organism which lives off the work of others and contributes nothing of value itself and is usually harmful.
(October 23, 2016 at 11:57 am)Minimalist Wrote: Yes, to answer your implied question as long as by "parasite" you mean an organism which lives off the work of others and contributes nothing of value itself and is usually harmful.

yes, I see the state and people as victims in this case, not as something to be discarded. the first consequence is that there is a minority of people that have to suffer.
"Priests are parasites"
"blacks are criminals"
"Muslims are terrorists"

.... Not one of these statements is more or less bigoted than the others.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
The people, yes.  Never forget what Thomas Jefferson said though.

[Image: 16-atheist-quotes.jpg]
When I was going through the roughest and most terrifying time of my life this past year, it was regular visits with a priest that brought me peace and kept me going. I saw a psychologist as well, but it didn't help me the way the priest did.

But, ya know, he's just a "parasite."

....Oh wait, except I never had to pay him a single penny for his time with me and for agreeing to meet with me whenever I needed it. The church pays him a small amount each year and for the rest of the time, he's just there to serve others as they need.

Making such nasty generalized statement about anyone (including priests, regardless of how much you hate them all) is the epitome of bigotry.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Priests in alliance with the depot? There's a joke in there somewhere but I haven't got the wit to think of one.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(October 23, 2016 at 12:25 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: When I was going through the roughest and most terrifying time of my life this past year, it was regular visits with a priest that brought me peace and kept me going. I saw a psychologist as well, but it didn't help me the way the priest did.  

That's because you're predisposed to find solace in talking to a priest rather than a psychologist. For me it's the other way round. But it's one of the reasons why I don't subscribe to blanket statements like the thread title. There are people in need of priests and taking them away would make them feel worse.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Right, Abs.  An untrained man rambling on about 'god' won't do anything for one who isn't desperate to believe him in the first place.  That's why they don't get paid.  Shrinks have professional standards.
(October 23, 2016 at 12:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote: An untrained man rambling on about 'god' won't do anything for one who isn't desperate to believe him in the first place.  That's why they don't get paid.  Shrinks have professional standards.

Catholic priests do get paid. Not a fortune, but given that they get free lodgings and food on the table, it's more than sufficient. And they have to have a university degree in theology. I'm not into defending theology as being science, but at the very least it requires some ground work, as opposed to evangelical pastors.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2000 Australia priests reject breaking seal of confession... SYZ 7 1639 September 23, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Do you think religion is holding society back? NuclearEnergy 66 17131 July 1, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: ManofYesterday
  Victims of pedophile priests and imams help create more victims with silence. Greatest I am 3 1367 February 26, 2016 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Debunking the Flat Earth Society. bussta33 24 5080 February 9, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why Isn't Human Society A Paradise? BrianSoddingBoru4 23 7251 February 6, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  "religion built the laws of society"? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 18 4658 December 5, 2015 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The connection between Catholic priests and Muhammadan pedo gangs? ReptilianPeon 18 6484 May 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Society of Cowards Gooders1002 14 2623 March 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Chas
  society's problems Vegamo 8 2661 January 8, 2014 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Fenix
  Gay priests' dating forum uncovered in the Vatican Gooders1002 10 5191 June 23, 2013 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius