Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 6:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't use finger print scanners:
If you are concerned about the cops getting access:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ar...nt/480861/

And, Android phones are easier for the cops to crack:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/25/technolo...ncryption/

Tails is likely the most secure OS in the World (runs on Debian):

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/566488...l-ever-own

And, you can download VeraCrypt for some extra security:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/

I am not saying that you need any of the above tools; only that they are available!
RE: Don't use finger print scanners:
Hard to avoid if you need a passport.

If you want to evade being tracked better take the Kaczynski approach. Build yourself a cabin in the woods, no electricity, since they can track your possible habits by your consumtion, no electronic communications, no nothing.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 30, 2016 at 4:53 pm)abaris Wrote: Hard to avoid if you need a passport.

If you want to evade being tracked better take the Kaczynski approach. Build yourself a cabin in the woods, no electricity, since they can track your possible habits by your consumtion, no electronic communications, no nothing.

Yes, it's hard to avoid, but I was, principally, referring to smart phones.
If you power down the iPhone you can't open it up with a fingerprint. It requires a password.

So if the cops are coming just press the power button for a few seconds and swipe it off.
(October 30, 2016 at 4:58 pm)KUSA Wrote: If you power down the iPhone you can't open it up with a fingerprint. It requires a password.

So if the cops are coming just press the power button for a few seconds and swipe it off.

Very true!  However, a lot of people, me included, keep our cell phones (I don't own a smart phone, just a flip one) on all the time.
(October 30, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(October 30, 2016 at 4:58 pm)KUSA Wrote: If you power down the iPhone you can't open it up with a fingerprint. It requires a password.

Very true!  However, a lot of people, me included, keep our cell phones (I don't own a smart phone, just a flip one) on all the time.

You do realize that if you're someone worth tracking, that alone is a bad practice unless you're using burner phones.

I'm far too boring to need that kind of paranoia personally.
Your fingerprint should not be used as a primary method of authentication IMO. It's got the same level of security as writing your password on a post-it note and sticking it on your office wall. That is to say, it's easily accessible if you know where to look.

Passwords are stored in your head and are much harder to figure out.
(October 30, 2016 at 5:24 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Your fingerprint should not be used as a primary method of authentication IMO. It's got the same level of security as writing your password on a post-it note and sticking it on your office wall. That is to say, it's easily accessible if you know where to look.

^^

I second this.
You can totally use your fingerprint as a secondary form of authentication though. For instance several apps on my phone have fingerprint locks on them and that's fine, because in order to access those apps you need my password to unlock my phone. My password isn't a 4 digit value either, it's complex.
(October 30, 2016 at 5:24 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Your fingerprint should not be used as a primary method of authentication IMO. It's got the same level of security as writing your password on a post-it note and sticking it on your office wall. That is to say, it's easily accessible if you know where to look.

Point taken.... but:

[Image: security.png]

Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 2121 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3142 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What news sources do you guys use and/or trust? EgoDeath 13 1093 October 12, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Use this to check your irony meter. Gawdzilla Sama 5 531 August 6, 2018 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  "Republicunt": why use terms like this? shadow 162 22979 November 27, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In addition to the server, Hilary "abandoned secure line to use home phone" ReptilianPeon 57 5373 May 21, 2016 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  They could use some Talmud scholars in Texas xpastor 8 2589 April 1, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  History and the use of religion by political powers KichigaiNeko 23 5517 January 4, 2014 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Pottery Barn Retracts Suggestion to use US Flag As A Tablecloth rexbeccarox 22 5539 June 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: AthiestAtheist
  Medicinal use of cannabis legalised in France! Big Blue Sky 7 3380 June 8, 2013 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Jackalope