Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, At The End Of The Day,
So, At The End Of The Day,
Gary Johnson got 3% of the vote or 4.1 million and Jill Stein got 1% or 1.2 million.

In 4 years I have no doubt that the myth of viable 3d parties will be resurrected.....
RE: So, At The End Of The Day,
So long as everyone continues to buy into the two-party narrative, you're right, it won't change.

(November 11, 2016 at 8:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: In 4 years I have no doubt that the myth of viable 3d parties will be resurrected.....

You say that as if that was a negative. Given your political system it probably is, but that rather shines a light on your political system than third parties. The problem lies in not giving third parties a voice, not in third parties existing. Just think about it. For more than 200 years two political parties are dividing the country amongst them. But at the same time, people get more and more diverse.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Gary Johnson was a 'viable third party option' until they gave him enough of a spotlight to let him show everyone what a complete loon he is.

Come to think of it, Jill Stein was the same except for the part where she was never considered a viable third party option.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(November 11, 2016 at 8:49 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: So long as everyone continues to buy into the two-party narrative, you're right, it won't change.

Show me in two years where the Libertards and the Greens are running candidates for senate, house and statewide races.  They are like fat bears who hibernate for 3 years and then wake up, run around a bit and then go back to sleep.
(November 11, 2016 at 9:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(November 11, 2016 at 8:49 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: So long as everyone continues to buy into the two-party narrative, you're right, it won't change.

Show me in two years where the Libertards and the Greens are running candidates for senate, house and statewide races.  They are like fat bears who hibernate for 3 years and then wake up, run around a bit and then go back to sleep.

I think I actually agree with you on this point. While I would love for a third party candidate to be taken seriously, it won't happen any time soon. They need to gain a larger presence in congress and other small offices first. That really should be their focus, and I don't see much of that happening. Once they do that, I would love to jump on one of their party buses.
That takes work.
Third parties have no chance, so I won't vote for them, so third parties have no chance...
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 11, 2016 at 9:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Stripped of invective, this is a fair point.

(November 11, 2016 at 9:37 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Third parties have no chance, so I won't vote for them, so third parties have no chance...

[Image: latest?cb=20140912020331]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trucker Protest - End all COVID Mandates Now HappySkeptic 44 1904 February 23, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  [Serious] Kuala Lumpur Islamic summit: did the night of the vassals began to end? WinterHold 16 1108 January 2, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  The End Of the Pathologization Of Intersex Amarok 1 464 July 7, 2019 at 4:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3121 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14678 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  The Republicunts Go Off The Deep End Minimalist 5 1348 March 24, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump May End DACA Program Seraphina 30 9078 September 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The End Is Nigh - Trump DarkerEnergy 12 3561 June 13, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Lets end the great weed debate dyresand 21 3711 April 28, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  How will the Trump presidency end? Mr Greene 27 4192 February 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Jackalope