Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: The NEW go-to movie villian
Atheists: The NEW go-to movie villian
Christmas: With a Capital C is a movie about an atheist that decides to ruin Christmas in a small town of patriotic Americans of our christian nation because christians have been shoving religion down his throat.
Not only is at least one atheist a problem for this small town but it's also because he's this big city atheist, as if this movie wasn't offensive enough.
Normally, I'm the kind of guy that just tends to view movies as that - just movies. Some cater to different or individual crowds (religulous, an inconventient truth, no intelligence allowed, etc), some try to be liked by everyone (titanic, avatar, wall-e, etc), but this one seems to go out of its way simply to say that we're both evil and un-american. As a side-note, the preview has someone stating that this is a christian nation founded by christians (which we all know is completely false by the written testimony of the founders themselves.)

Also, the link includes the teaser for the movie.

On one hand, I want to be (however slightly) angered with the entire concept of the movie, but on the other hand, as one commenter put it:
Katherine Autumn Victoria Soltesz Wrote:Horrific reporting -- there is absolutely no story here. A two-bit Christian production company creates one piece of propoganda and the writer considers that evidence for Hollywood's opinion of atheists? Thanks for continuing to fuel the confusion and misconceptions about atheism in this frivolous article, Mr. Jones.
I can't honestly disagree with that assessment but it still grinds my gears a little but I suppose I can empathize more with movies that have depicted people I otherwise disagree with (republicans, anti-environmentalists, the religious community) in a similar light when the truth is that the vast majority of even those people are perfectly reasonable people.

I don't know... let me see what y'all think.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
RE: Atheists: The NEW go-to movie villian
There's no such thing as bad publicity. See Sarah Palin.
This movie is laughably pathetic. 'Christians happen to have started America'. Lord help us! Actually, bad choice of words. Still, anyone who buys into this crap really doesn't deserve a brain (if they have one).
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(September 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm)gargantuan Wrote: There's no such thing as bad publicity. See Sarah Palin.

I used to believe that and I sort of half-do these days, but does anyone honestly respect Sarah Palin? I mean, I'm sure there are those that do, but I mean does anyone refer to her as anything other than a joke?
Plus, M. Night Shamalon's Avatar: The Last Airbender (and a few other previous movies) recieved a lot of publicity for being a terrible movie. I mean, even if the terrible reviews themselves provide the motivation of more people to go see it, perhaps out of curiosity or some other reason, how is that at all beneficial to Mr. Shamalon or the movie?

I don't honestly see how this'll do anything other than fuel the problems that atheism already has in terms of PR amongst the general public.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Big 'C' (cretinous) Christian movies are huge business.

Usually ignoring mainstream release, they are shown in churches/church halls etc,with the DVD on sale. They can make $millions.'Left Behind' starring little Kirky Cameron is an excellent example

Quote:Left Behind: The Movie is a Christian Bible-based film released in 2000 and starring Kirk Cameron, Brad Johnson, Gordon Currie and Clarence Gilyard. It was directed by Vic Sarin. Left Behind was proclaimed by its creators as the biggest and most ambitious Christian film ever made.[1] It is based on the Left Behind book series and also the first in a trilogy, followed by Left Behind II: Tribulation Force and Left Behind: World at War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind:_The_Movie

These films are aimed squarely at a specific audience; simple minded/unreflective/ willfully ignorant believers.There seem to be many millions of them in the US. People who consider Sarah Palin "one of us". There are far fewer in Australia only because our population is about 10% of the US. Ours would vote for Sarah Palin if they could.Thinking
TheDarkestOfAngels wrote: I don't honestly see how this'll do anything other than fuel the problems that atheism already has in terms of PR amongst the general public.

My opinion on this matter is Fuck the general public! If it were up to them there would never have been any atheists to begin with, or at least they would have all been relegated to being closet atheists. It's the general public that espouses the nonsense that is religious beliefs, especially here in the Unites States. If they had their way they would be content to go back to the days when blasphemy was not only a sin but a crime punishable by a jail sentence or death.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Ha! gotta love the stock ominous music when the Evil Atheist comes onscreen. I also have an entourage of growling doublebass and cello players follow me everywhere I go...

[Image: spaceballs_1.jpg]

"...evil will always triumph because good is dumb."
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
Why can't people get that not all founding fathers were christian! I'm a Canadian and I know more of American history than lots of americans!
(September 20, 2010 at 7:12 pm)chatpilot Wrote: My opinion on this matter is Fuck the general public! If it were up to them there would never have been any atheists to begin with, or at least they would have all been relegated to being closet atheists. It's the general public that espouses the nonsense that is religious beliefs, especially here in the Unites States. If they had their way they would be content to go back to the days when blasphemy was not only a sin but a crime punishable by a jail sentence or death.

Atheists hold a minority in the United States and, to a lesser extent, around the world but... well... let me explain:

Before I came to the atheistforums, I had never seen Richard Dawkins, read any of his books, or seen him anywhere. I didn't even know what he looked like. I've since used youtube and seen some links and such provided around here and I've seen this man debate and I now understand why, even outside of atheist circles (such as the scientific community), that he's as respected and famous a man as he is.

This is because he not only challenges the religious establishment, but he does so in a manner that is eloquent, incisive, clear, well reasoned, and simple but with a depth that few other orators of lesser skill can accomplish. He and others like him may indeed be why atheism is more prominant in the public eye lately than it has been in decades past.

However, a movie like the one above is precisely the kind of thing that fuels the kind of ignorance that is so prominant in the public circle that it can only force atheism to be an even more poisonous term than it is now - much like how government-run healthcare in the United States "hiliarycare" and "obamacare" are both popular amongst the general public when the actual facts about these things are laid bare while at the same time becomes a very poisonous idea in the eyes of the general public. You'd think these people want the insurance companies to be able to make as much money as they please based off of how many people they can deny coverage to, damn whether or not the rejected is a 12 year old child who needs a new liver.

My point though is that if people see atheism as reasonable and logical, such as how Dawkins portrays our (lack of) ideaology when combined with reasonable skepticism and acceptance of science and knowledge I think it would only help all of us.

THen you have to consider this movie portraying an evil atheist who exists only because he hates god, america, and fun. At that point, that can only hurt us and force more of us to go underground.
I LOVE christmas damn it!

To whatever extent, I do agree that there are some out there who would love to send America back to the Dark Ages when sin, non-christians, and heresey (such as a heliocentric solar system) was solved with a gillotine at worst or excommunication at best. However, I highly doubt that the vast majority of americans or anyone with any sense feels that way, despite the very vocal minority.

I just got around to watching the trailer. That actually looks pretty good. And by 'good' I mean 'shit'. And by 'pretty' I mean "like a load of".

Does anyone fancy chipping in a couple of quid to make Winterval The Movie: When Atheists Attack!

I know how to use Final Cut Studio.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2201 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Jeff Sparrow on the need to save ourselves from the sickishness of the New Atheists Whateverist 62 8536 March 21, 2016 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  "The New Atheists are back — and dumber than ever" Delicate 149 26876 December 26, 2015 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Half Way Houses for New Young Atheists Jenny A 6 1925 March 5, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  The new Social Media frontier for Atheists! The Atheist Corner 16 2955 December 9, 2014 at 8:08 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Tomorrow is a pleasantly surprising good day for science-loving movie goers. Mudhammam 3 1322 November 7, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  new atheists DramaQueen 9 2212 August 19, 2014 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: stonedape
  "God's Not Dead" Movie? abtaylor 15 2789 May 11, 2014 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  New study on atheists' human rights worldwide Dee Dee Ramone 16 5675 December 14, 2012 at 11:10 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims? MilesTailsPrower 4 3063 June 23, 2011 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Anymouse