Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Druids
Druids
Quote:Druidry to be classed as religion by Charity Commission
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11457795
Since the ancient druids left no written records, I've never understood why the modern ones think they share the same beliefs. It's pure guesswork.
RE: Druids
The very basics of druidry will remain the same over the ages though
(October 2, 2010 at 6:13 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: The very basics of druidry will remain the same over the ages though

No, because there weren't any druids for almost 2000 years. The modern 'religion' was something made up on the way to stonehenge.

The best evidence for this is that they worship the WRONG solstice at stonehenge.

Quote from wikipedia

Although Stonehenge has become an increasingly popular destination during the summer solstice, with 20,000 people visiting in 2005, scholars have developed growing evidence that indicates prehistoric people visited the site only during the winter solstice. The only megalithic monuments in the British Isles to contain a clear, compelling solar alignment are Newgrange and Maeshowe, which both famously face the winter solstice sunrise.

The most recent such evidence supporting the theory of winter visits includes bones and teeth from pigs which were slaughtered at nearby Durrington Walls. Their age at death indicating that they were slaughtered either in December or January every year. Mike Parker Pearson of the University of Sheffield has said, "We have no evidence that anyone was in the landscape in summer."[5]

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

wikipedia Wrote:Neo-druidism or neo-druidry, commonly referred to as Druidism or Druidry by its adherents[1][2][3] is a form of modern spirituality or religion that generally promotes harmony and worship of nature, and respect for all beings, including the environment.

By the basics I mean simply that. The 'worship' or honouring of nature and 'respect for all beings, including the environment'. I'm pretty sure that's not a new idea.
(October 2, 2010 at 7:35 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
wikipedia Wrote:Neo-druidism or neo-druidry, commonly referred to as Druidism or Druidry by its adherents[1][2][3] is a form of modern spirituality or religion that generally promotes harmony and worship of nature, and respect for all beings, including the environment.

By the basics I mean simply that. The 'worship' or honouring of nature and 'respect for all beings, including the environment'. I'm pretty sure that's not a new idea.

True, but what does that have to do with druidism?

All we know about the ancient druids comes to us through the romans who werent exactly fans and completely wiped them out, erradicating their beliefs.

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/pr...druids.htm

Quote:True, but what does that have to do with druidism?

Well, as Wiki laid it out in the druidism article: It's the very essence of druidism. By that I mean that: The honouring of nature, respect for all living things and the environment is druidism's most fundamental of fundamentals.
(October 2, 2010 at 8:01 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
Quote:True, but what does that have to do with druidism?

Well, as Wiki laid it out in the druidism article: It's the very essence of druidism. By that I mean that: The honouring of nature, respect for all living things and the environment is druidism's most fundamental of fundamentals.

Thats the modern interpretation, but 2000 years ago could've been the opposite.

The point is no-one knows, the romans did such a good job of destroying it, (remember the driuds had no written tenets, it was all memorized). That it could've been the opposite. the druids were certainly into animal/human sacrifice in a big way, even shocking the normally unflapable romans. This seems to contradict with the touchy feely religion you described.

Well I just thought that druidry in its essence is about nature worship. With or without animal or human sacrifice.
After a quick read up you appear to be correct.
Although littered amongst the description the words 'they are believed to..' cropped up more than once.
So there is still a chance that the whole worshipping nature thing was wrong.
Oh and apparently druid means 'son of the oak tree' whatever that means?

The Latin and Ancient Greek word for Druid was druides which is associated with drus, meaning oak tree and ides meaning "the son of" and is related to Aristides

I have nothing against druids but I think clerics are more effective divine spell casters. Personally, I prefer to have the latter in my party since they have access to cure wound spells at lower levels. They're just better healers to have around and the party quickly runs out of potions of healing without them. [sorry, couldn't resist]
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damned Druids BrianSoddingBoru4 5 1383 April 25, 2014 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4