Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:22 pm

Poll: What should be done about the post edit time limit
This poll is closed.
Remove rule altogether
0%
0 0%
Remove rule for trustworthy posters
0%
0 0%
Accept requests to edit posts
11.11%
1 11.11%
Do nothing
88.89%
8 88.89%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding the post edit time limit of absolute Doom
Regarding the post edit time limit of absolute Doom
So. 

I wrote a post and after a few hours I come back to check on it and I spot a small but highly significant mistake in my post. I'm like oh ok that's embarrassing let me just edit it real quick. So I click edit, made the change and I click save. The message I got was something along the lines of "Can't edit posts after 120 minutes" and I'm like -_____- 

Ok fine, I'll just ask an administrator for help. So I reach out to Steel to help me out. And CD reply with "we don't edit posts that don't violate rules". So what am I supposed to do, basically the response was "idk lol".

So anyway, my stand is rules are supposed to make things easier for us and hard for spammers and rule breakers and whatever. I mean, they didn't have any problem making up rules like "misrepresenting staff actions" to hand me a ban but now that I make a small request suddenly it's "soory guy can't do we have to follow the rules down to every last detail". 

Common sense guys, will you or will you not follow every traffic rules and stop, wait at red lights if there's a alien invasion happening behind you and things start blowing up? You wouldn't! 

So I gave three suggestions(to which I got zero response) : 

*Either remove the post edit time limit altogether (reddit doesn't have this limit and works fine) 
*Or remove this rule for people exceeding 60 days of stay in this forum(my logic is we can trust people after that point) 
*OR take requests from users that want to edit posts but can't. 

I mean, somethings got to be done. Just going "idk what to do lol" or "deal with it" especially to regular posters like myself is like um, do you not want people to have a good time here? So anyway I made a poll. I don't think I'm making a unreasonable request (at least in my mind), so if you want to leave an opinion please do.
RE: Regarding the post edit time limit of absolute Doom
The two hour editing rule -above all others- must remain inviolable. To question it is a breech of all that is decent and immediately calls into question your upbringing. I'm not sure how to break this to you.
We don't have any implementation that would be able to characterize the difference between minor corrections and major changes.

If we did, it would make sense that the edit limits would apply against major changes - grammar edits are rather harmless. Since we don't have that, we affix a time limit to post edits to keep it as fair as we can make it. That's why it's an absolute limit for any and all edits.

An indefinite edit limit won't work here - we had some incidents of posters blanking their posts to disrupt the forum. And we found out the hard way that one hour wasn't enough for most cases of post edits. Two hours became a happy medium.

I trust this clears things up.

We don't have a way to unlock a post for editing from the user, only edit it ourselves. That won't scale - so we only edit posts when the rules allow/require it. The software does not have the flexibility that would mitigate the issues you dislike.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I've been here nearly two and a half years and have not really had an issue with the rule. Also, what you failed to mention in this thread is that yes - your query was addressed in this very thread of which you speak, by Steel. He told you directly that you already made a post, pointing out your error and that should suffice for anyone reading the thread. Anyone following that thread could certainly have the intelligence to make the connection that you fixed your mistake in another post. And I tend to agree with SC. You recognized your mistake outside of the window of time given to edit posts, made another post stating your mistake and correcting yourself with what you should have written and life goes on.

I get your point, but really - this is not as big as you are wanting it to be. Besides, I noticed that you actually edited that post twice. So why you didn't bother to edit what you really wanted to, in the two times you went back to fix things, I'll never know. But there it is, nonetheless. 

So, No - I don't feel like the rule needs to be changed. It is there for a reason. That's my friendly advice to you, sweetie Smile
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
She called me sweetie

YES!

This the first time I'm having an issue with that rule, I just expected the all powerful staffs response to be a little more better than "we don't know what to do".
It's a good rule because it helps prevent people from changing what they said after other people have already responded. The flaw being that it also prevents people from being able to make minor edits for things like spelling and grammar errors. Your idea of having people be able to have their posts edited upon request would be a good idea except for one problem; the mods are volunteer workers with lives outside this forum. An individual person can easily quote their own post and point out the mistake and the correction for everyone to see. A small team of mods doing it for hundreds of posters would be ridiculous.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Also, your thread title. Lol. Absolute doom? It's not that serious.

0/10

Ehm Ehm if a "rule" is causing problems for 'hundreds of users' is that rule in place to make things easier for posters or harder? Sink about it.

Besides, I don't get the paranoia, reddit works just fine without a time limit to edit posts.
Then go post on Reddit

0/10

Is that the official staff response?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regarding Seax Foxaèr 3 1112 March 23, 2021 at 10:06 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Question regarding that heavy ban hammer Foxaèr 16 1881 July 28, 2020 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Question regarding post count Joods 38 5201 September 4, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A question regarding alerts. Ravenshire 9 2547 August 20, 2017 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Signature Size Limit Neo-Scholastic 22 3340 February 4, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Please Allow Me to Edit this Post Rhondazvous 18 2636 December 30, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  PM Recipient limit and auto-fill Clueless Morgan 0 1033 May 27, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  The maximum server load limit has been reached... c172 7 2517 July 16, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Limit to private messages? dahrling 11 2671 May 5, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Would a Testing subforum with a stickied 'test post thread' be useful at this time? Angrboda 0 1195 April 2, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Angrboda