Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions
The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions
The Catholic Church today is still the same Church that refused the findings of Galileo, insisted that the earth was flat, promoted a geo-centric / heliocentric view of the universe, refuted Darwinism and believed that the earth was 5500 years old etc.

Today the church seems to be embracing all of these scientific theories as being a part of “the Divine Plan”.

Another issue that is being resolved in a very humane manner is the issue of non-heterosexuals within the religious institutions. Now they are even giving permission to priests to baptize the children of same-sex couples and seems to be encouraging their participation in various religious ceremonies.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vatican-allow...43215.html

This reminds me of the character of Eric Effiong in the final episode of the UK series called “Sex Education”. Since about 95% of ordinary people believe in the Divine in one way or another, it doesn’t seem very humane to exclude some people because of their sexual tendencies and/or choices. Smile
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

RE: The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions
It's also the same Church that developed a social conscience for a few years in the 60s, when the Second Vatican Council tried to get Catholics to be more socially aware. That went the way of the passenger pigeon when the anti-commie Pope John Paul II rode into town.

And unfortunately, it's also the same Church that capitulated to the Nazis, caused an AIDS catastrophe in Africa, and presided over a vast and inhumane campaign of child sex abuse and a subsequent cover-up. So pardon me if its current attempt at wokeness seems like too little too late.
It's the church that's being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the modern world. Make no mistake, if it were up to the church, we'd be no better off than the average serf of the medieval period.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(November 11, 2023 at 8:55 am)Leonardo17 Wrote: The Catholic Church today is still the same Church that refused the findings of Galileo, insisted that the earth was flat, promoted a geo-centric / heliocentric view of the universe, refuted Darwinism and believed that the earth was 5500 years old etc.

Today the church seems to be embracing all of these scientific theories as being a part of “the Divine Plan”.

Another issue that is being resolved in a very humane manner is the issue of non-heterosexuals within the religious institutions. Now they are even giving permission to priests to baptize the children of same-sex couples and seems to be encouraging their participation in various religious ceremonies.

This reminds me of the character of Eric Effiong in the final episode of the UK series called “Sex Education”. Since about 95% of ordinary people believe in the Divine in one way or another, it doesn’t seem very humane to exclude some people because of their sexual tendencies and/or choices. Smile

When the RCC (or any church, ftm) loosens up on who is allowed in, it’s really just about the body count. Don’t mistake the limited ‘acceptance’ of some members of the queer community under some conditions as progressive modernization of the Church. They’ve been bleeding membership faster than a severed carotid, this is nothing more than a publicity stunt to stop that bleeding.

‘Sure, we raped a few kids, but lookit how much we LOVE the gays!’ The hypocrisy makes my balls ache.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
When I was in school - Catholic school - from 8th grade through graduation from high school, they were seemingly trying to keep the young people interested. They would bring in some kids a little older than we were who were called 'Jesus Freaks'. Most of them had been in trouble, dabbled in drugs, disobeying their parents, having sex....whatever their particular sin was and they had supposedly cleaned up their acts and turned to Jesus and the church. Of course this group was made up of really great looking young people who were likened to TV and movie stars of the time. The plan didn't go all that well as many in the group were playing the game to stay out of some sort of military school or other highly disciplined residential school settings. Not terribly effective but we did get to miss a few classes.

This was also the time that nuns were allowed to forgo the standard habit though they ended up in pale blue polyester dresses. Not as drab as the habits worn by the older nuns but not really fashion statements either.

A little later the attempt to hang onto the young people they started up the Folk Mass in an effort to seem/sound more relevant. My sister was one of the musicians and singers. Didn't work on her. She also left the church completely and identifies as atheist.

From what I can tell, being this far from my hometown, the church and the school are much more regimented now. It was pretty lax in the 70s when I was there.

Seems there has always been something or other that has been attempted to keep attendance up - along with sweeping as much as possible under the cassock, as it were.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The Malleus Maleficarum

https://library.oapen.org/bitstream/hand...sAllowed=y
(November 11, 2023 at 8:55 am)Leonardo17 Wrote: The Catholic Church today is still the same Church that refused the findings of Galileo, insisted that the earth was flat, promoted a geo-centric / heliocentric view of the universe, refuted Darwinism and believed that the earth was 5500 years old etc.

The Catholic Church never taught that the world was flat.
^True but trite.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Myth of the Flat Earth

Quote:The myth of the flat Earth, or the flat-Earth error, is a modern historical misconception that European scholars and educated people during the Middle Ages believed the Earth to be flat.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I saw a guy on TV prove that the Earth was flat. He put two stakes in the ground a few feet apart and tied a line between. Damn! No curve! Case closed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secret hiding place for ancient christians Foxaèr 20 2366 May 11, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 2012 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  The bible and ancient history. Lemonvariable72 66 12434 December 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 4787 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ' Gooders1002 82 26726 April 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Mark Fulton
Tongue Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times Tea Earl Grey Hot 19 8648 September 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Great Virgin Mother Isis - Ancient Mythology is not a Cheeseburger michaelsherlock 13 7760 June 12, 2012 at 8:29 am
Last Post: michaelsherlock