Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just speculation at this point but.....
Just speculation at this point but.....
The political pundits have been speculating this morning after last night's Golden Globe Awards that the one and only Oprah might run in 2020.

We still have to focus on 18 and 19 before that, but I am at the point that ANYONE is better than 45. 

Oprah's good points, is that she speaks well, and she is a great business woman obviously. Not sure how 45 could get away with the childish name calling he does with anyone else. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts...cb4f47d6c3

I think an Oprah/Michelle ticket or Oprah/Cobert ticket would be unbeatable. Of course that isn't going to happen.

BUT, if she got nominated who would you pick for A VP?
RE: Just speculation at this point but.....
Plus she fucking built herself from the ground up without a million dollar donation from Daddy. Set next to Oprah, Trump is a chump when it comes to business.
(January 8, 2018 at 9:00 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Plus she fucking built herself from the ground up without a million dollar donation from Daddy. Set next to Oprah, Trump is a chump when it comes to business.

She is not my first pick, I'd prefer Michelle. BUT, 45 still has nothing on her. She is a billionaire too, but not a narcissistic schoolyard bully. I think she accepts that the rich don't need all the money they hoard. I think she also accepts not everyone will get to her tax bracket. She's been on TV since the early 80s and did so without becoming Jerry Springer. 

I think 45 would have a really hard time with her. She isn't a dummy nor has she lowered herself to his rhetoric. 

I think she could pick up the swing states quite easily.
Well see when 2020 comes.
(January 8, 2018 at 9:50 am)Grandizer Wrote: Well see when 2020 comes.

Considering what Stedman (sp) her husband said last night, while she denied it in October, it seems she'd be up for it if enough people pushed her to do it.

Think about it. I bet my life the moment 45 decided to run was when Obama poked fun of him to his face at the press conference dinner.

Oprah may be looking to put the orange jackass in his place. FYI the talk of a run always comes before the official announcement. We will know if she starts sending scouts out to states to get a feel if she has a shot. 

I think if anyone can clobber him, it would be her, and without the WWE rhetoric he spews.
The Guardian made a good point that about the first female president probably needing to be a Republican

Quote:Of course, if Ivanka does run for president, it will likely be on a Republican ticket and she will have to abandon her current pretence at mild progressiveness. Just look at the UK: there is a reason the only two female prime ministers we have had have both been Tories. Electing a woman who is also liberal as leader seems to be far too much for the British establishment to handle.

In the more religious, less tolerant US, it is even more of a challenge. Hillary Clinton may have won the popular vote in 2016, but the levels of misogyny directed against her made it clear that the US establishment still finds it near-impossible to stomach the idea of a female head of state. And certainly not one who is a Democrat.
Definitely more restrained/less flamboyant then 45. 

[Image: wrinke-in-time-oprah-winfrey-disney.jpg?...421&crop=1]
(January 8, 2018 at 10:37 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Definitely more restrained/less flamboyant then 45. 

[Image: wrinke-in-time-oprah-winfrey-disney.jpg?...421&crop=1]

WHAT?

Yea, playing a character in a movie is bad how? Reagan acted too.

Now show me where Oprah has vilified entire races, entire religions, shit on military service, shit on intel, and the free press, on a daily basis like 45. 

Not getting the comparison between her and 45.
(January 8, 2018 at 10:51 am)Brian37 Wrote: ...
Not getting the comparison between her and 45.

Something to do with voting for style over substance?

This is fine if the system is designed so that the presidential position is purely ceremonial e.g. Singapore i.e. equivalent to the parliamentary-monarchic systems e.g. UK.

But if the role is supposed to have teeth i.e. executive powers, isn't it better to have a real person... one who has diplomatic and policy-making experience?

I suspect this is a product of a celeb-brand, TV-immersed, consumer-culture.

Gimme a PM Lee or even a V. Putin any day.

Wink
The PURPOSE of life is to replicate our DNA ................. (from Darwin)
The MEANING of life is the experience of living ... (from Frank Herbert)
The VALUE of life is the legacy we leave behind ..... (from observation)
Have you lot forgotten the last time a TV star with zero political experience became president?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  But.. But.... But..... onlinebiker 25 1556 May 6, 2022 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Seems As If They Had A Point Minimalist 21 3108 December 25, 2017 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Nobody likes their car stolen, but NO JUST NO.. Brian37 40 9576 May 26, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The New Fox News Talking Point About the SC Shootings Nope 27 6056 June 23, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Is it ever right to use a racial slur to make a point? A Theist 65 16602 July 10, 2014 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Cato