Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Give God Credit for the Things We Do?
Why Give God Credit for the Things We Do?
A christian friend of mine had to slam on the brakes when a truck pulled in front of his motorcycle. He thought it would be a great testimony to tell me how god saved his life. It might have been if his brakes didn't work but the bike stopped anyway.

I can't find it but I remember a post Cyberman put up about a gardener who fixed up his garden and a preacher wanted the gardener to give god glory but the gardener said you should have seen how this place looked when he was out here by himself.

But now see if I do something bad (god forbid) I'm supposed to take full responsibility. Why? If I can't blame god for the bad things I do, why should I give him credit for the good things I do?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Give God Credit for the Things We Do?
Well, initially (and this is mythology neutral) the idea is to keep us in our place, keep us from getting uppity, keep us from thinking to highly of ourselves.  It's a ritual behavior.

In modern usage, however, it's a pious play that subverts the entire reason for the tick in the first place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It might keep God from burning you up with His giant magnifying glass.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Really glad god handed me the ball and put those large guys on my side. Thank you god.

Happens in nature also. Gets credit when we have a nice day. But also when bad things happen (cancer, volcano, flood,....) it gods will. 

Yep, we're only responsible for the bad human acts. Must be that whole original sin thing at work. 

Face it Rhonda, you're just a sinner that god got to fuck with.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 10, 2018 at 9:00 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: A christian friend of mine had to slam on the brakes when a truck pulled in front of his motorcycle. He thought it would be a great testimony to tell me how god saved his life. It might have been if his brakes didn't work but the bike stopped anyway.

I can't find it but I remember a post Cyberman put up about a gardener who fixed up his garden and a preacher wanted the gardener to give god glory but the gardener said you should have seen how this place looked when he was out here by himself.

But now see if I do something bad (god forbid) I'm supposed to take full responsibility. Why? If I can't blame god for the bad things I do, why should I give him credit for the good things I do?

When a child is rescued from a terrible accident, it's god is great.  When, 15,000 kids under 5 die every day of things like hunger/malnutrition, its god works in mysterious ways.  

Christians are at least consistent on this, they think everything comes from god but, you don't hear much praise with the 15,000 dead kids. If you hold their feet to the fire about the issue, its always god works in mysterious ways, but its all for the good somehow.

Regarding identity, I was once in a christian program that consisted of a lot of brainwashing and they taught, in essence, that as humans, we are inherently bad and not worth taking another breath. However, we can be saved from all of that by taking on the identity of jesus. It's psychological bondage.  I'm embarrassed to say that I believed this for a time.
People give credit towards God for things they do because they actually believe in that shite. They actually believe that God is responsible for the whole universe and everything... including their own actions. And yet apparently he also gave them free will but also knows what they'll do next... despite the fact they could do other than what he knows they will definitely do. It makes about as much sense as my arse marrying a mongoose.

That annoys the piss out of me too, Rhonda.

[Image: Aq0QBod.jpg]

Superstitious twits.
(March 10, 2018 at 12:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That annoys the piss out of me too, Rhonda.

[Image: Aq0QBod.jpg]

Superstitious twits.

What is it about believing in a load of utter donkey bollocks and superstition having such a strong correlation, do you think?

We're an incredible species and it does bother me a tad when people credit something else for the greatness we've accomplished. Same for chocking things up to karma or fate.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
I had a very religious friend in college.  One day she was driving to class, looked in the rear-view mirror, and saw a pickup truck coming up behind her at high speed.
She quickly pulled into a parking lane to her right.  The pickup truck roared safely past her vehicle and went on its merry way.

Suddenly she was telling everybody that she had a warning of danger, and that she felt warm, unseen arms around hers, steering her into the parking space.
God was so good!  Her guardian angel was the BEST!  She was protected day and night.  

It's confirmation bias, it's complete egotism and fantasy: "I'm special, I have unseen protectors because I pray to God the right way."  

I was a member of her Bible Study group then and although I was a Christian, I wanted to say, "No, you pulled into a parking space because you heard and saw a truck.  Nothing happened."  I didn't, of course.  I'm not sure I would now.  You can't reason with that kind of thinking.

(March 10, 2018 at 1:26 pm)Aegon Wrote: We're an incredible species and it does bother me a tad when people credit something else for the greatness we've accomplished. Same for chocking things up to karma or fate.

No kidding.  I have a friend whose son has been completely colorblind all of his life.  They got him some of those EnChroma glasses, he went out to the flower garden and freaked out.  "Is that orange?!  Is that what orange looks like??  What is this?!"  Yeah it was great.  But instead of marveling at the science that created the glasses, his Mom was posting "God is so great!" stuff on Facebook because God gave her boy the ability to see color!

I was so tempted to post that GOD had made him colorblind . . .
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 874 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7334 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9553 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 803 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8650 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20875 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  MODERATORS!!! Can you give myself and Drich ….. 21stCenturyIconoclast 81 10276 January 14, 2017 at 12:23 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21834 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What made you give up on Jesus? TrueChristian 101 17692 December 29, 2015 at 7:27 am
Last Post: abaris
  Ok Jesus, It's Time Someone Gave You Credit.... JBrentonK 69 8527 December 9, 2015 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet