Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ignostics who came out of the closet?
Any ignostics who came out of the closet?
Are there any ignostics who came out? Ignosticism is the idea that the question of the existence of a god is meaningless, because the term god doesn't have a clear definition. Did they tell their closed ones the mere definition of God isn't clear, or did they just say they lack belief?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Any ignostics who came out of the closet?
I consider my belief that there can be no clear definition of what a god could be to be one of the reasons why I am a strong atheist.
Nah, never came out...
Always was ignostic and 50 years later I am no closer to understanding what God is or even what God is meant to be due to the varied definitions I get from every single person.

*shhh ... but I don't think they even know!*
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 6, 2018 at 6:03 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Are there any ignostics who came out? Ignosticism is the idea that the question of the existence of a god is meaningless, because the term god doesn't have a clear definition. Did they tell their closed ones the mere definition of God isn't clear, or did they just say they lack belief?

Honestly, I really don't know. I was raised RCC. Back when I was a kid, I figured out that all of the religious stuff was baloney like Santa. I wasn't open about that  for maybe 20 years. Now I don't care. What would the grown ups think? Fukkem. I'm a grown-up, or last time I checked 49 seems to qualify. There is a thing of which I am proud. Somehow, I have passed on the attribute of critical thinking to my progeny. To me that is success as a parent. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to see my children using their fuckin brain and engaging in critical thinking and logic and reason. Does it mean I am dictating what they may or may not believe? Of course not. The joy is in seeing them develop their thinking and having a forum where they can frankly challenge anything, and ensuring that such is available to them. 

Now, my eldest is trans, and my youngest is a tart. Does it worry me? On a practical level perhaps. But I am steadfast in insisting that they are both their very own person and must be respected as such.
I’m ignostic, but no one around here cares about religion so there’s no need to go into detail!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
What amuses me is that something which believers will characterize as "ineffable" one moment they are very quick to then tell you just exactly what It wants not just from them but from me too. The grand mystery, they suppose, made a once only attempt to communicate everything we needed to know in their bible - a pretty feeble attempt for an all-omni being. So by default God's definition becomes whatever to hell the bible says it is. But even that is problematic because in the end the believer just assembles the cherries which support their own presuppositions anyway. Fortunately for them the bible is chock full of cherries to support pretty much anything they like.

I've never had a conversation with a religious family member who was capable of understanding the ignostic objection. The blinders they wear constrict their frontal lobes.
It's just an edgy alternative label for anti-theist if you ask me.
(May 29, 2018 at 5:28 am)Whitewolf Wrote: It's just an edgy alternative label for anti-theist if you ask me.

I'm curious why you would say that.  The essence of anti-theism is being against god belief and working to end it.  It is a political stance, not a position which seeks to explain why you don't believe.

Ignosticism explains ones reason for not believing as a logical response to the term in question being poorly and inconsistently defined.  Ignosticism doesn't have a stock political response toward theism as a whole.  An ignostic could find religions quaint and precious or horribly destructive.
(May 30, 2018 at 9:55 am)Whateverist Wrote:
(May 29, 2018 at 5:28 am)Whitewolf Wrote: It's just an edgy alternative label for anti-theist if you ask me.

I'm curious why you would say that.

Ignorance. Ignorance is why he would say that. I'm guessing you haven't read too many of Whitewolf's posts yet. He's a complete idiot.
(May 30, 2018 at 10:04 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(May 30, 2018 at 9:55 am)Whateverist Wrote: I'm curious why you would say that.

Ignorance. Ignorance is why he would say that. I'm guessing you haven't read too many of Whitewolf's posts yet. He's a complete idiot.

That makes a lot of sense.  Happily I was not aware of his/her tendencies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist? godlessheatheness 45 4771 April 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7041 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Are you out of the closet? Mermaid 71 9861 November 23, 2015 at 11:04 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6845 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11947 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are you a "closet" Atheist? Spooky 73 12303 December 31, 2014 at 1:24 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  So this came with the copy of the God Delusion I just bought. Mudhammam 19 4876 April 23, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: DarkHorse
  Any Level 7's out there? Avodaiah 34 7608 January 11, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Day #3 Out of the Closet FallentoReason 12 3170 December 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
Tongue I basically came out to my mom... downeygirl 13 5072 August 9, 2012 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: MountOlympus