Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I basically came out to my mom...
Tongue 
I basically came out to my mom...
In passing, a friend of my mom told her that dogs do not have souls - so they won't go to heaven. So she brought it up with me, "So, Jennifer, what do you think about dogs not having a soul?" I sighed. Great. Here it comes.

I say, "Well, you'll have to ask Antoine about that, he believes in that stuff, I don't." Antoine is my brother and is VERY Christian - much more Christian than my mom. She stares at me for a second and starts laughing. And I mean LAUGHING... for like 5 minutes. She's in TEARS. Her laughing is making me laugh.

Then finally she catches her breath and says "You said that so seriously!!" And then we both start laughing again for like a couple of minutes.

And she calms down and says "So you don't believe in souls?"... No. "After you're dead, you're just dead?" Yes. "So you don't believe in Heaven either?" Nope. "You don't believe in God?" No. She wipes the tears that are still in the corner in her eye and just says "You're funny. You're always so serious" And she continues chuckling a little bit. And then we just dropped it and moved on to whatever else...

And that's it. Wow. That's what I was afraid of??? Maybe I AM too serious. Tongue
"Need is not quite belief" - Anne Sexton, Mercy for the Greedy
RE: I basically came out to my mom...
Quote:Maybe I AM too serious.

Perhaps it's that you have an accepting and cool mother. Thinking
Or perhaps it's that she's in denial about what you said and she thinks you're actually joking.
Seems a bit ambiguous as to whether the penny has really dropped...

In my family, it's definitely mum who takes her religion the most seriously. My dilemma is: if I tell her, she'd be convinced that my wife and I and our little son are all doomed for eternity (without her renewed and vigorous intervention). It's not worth the hassle and the heartache.

Religion poisons normal human relationships sadly.
Quote:That's what I was afraid of???

Wait till Antoine hears.
Your Mom is awesome and you should feel awesome.
(July 29, 2012 at 9:25 am)Napoleon Wrote: Or perhaps it's that she's in denial about what you said and she thinks you're actually joking.

I think she believed me. She hasn't mentioned it since though... so I dunno.

(July 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:That's what I was afraid of???

Wait till Antoine hears.

IKR.

I don't think she'd tell him-- But I do dread it when/if he does find out. He might perform an exorcism on me.

(July 29, 2012 at 8:52 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:Maybe I AM too serious.

Perhaps it's that you have an accepting and cool mother. Thinking

She's always been cool and accepting.. I don't know why I feared bringing this up with her. Usually I dodge these topics pretty well. Or I say something completely neutral. I'm just glad I finally said it.
"Need is not quite belief" - Anne Sexton, Mercy for the Greedy
(July 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm)downeygirl Wrote: I think she believed me. She hasn't mentioned it since though... so I dunno.

You know your own mother better than me (or do you Wink). But from the way you told it, it certainly came across as though it went completely over her head.
Maybe your mom is an atheist at heart!
(July 29, 2012 at 9:30 pm)downeygirl Wrote: I don't think she'd tell him-- But I do dread it when/if he does find out. He might perform an exorcism on me.

If he tries this just casually let it slip that without the Pope's approval that is most likely a sin. Total bullshit of course. As the story goes that Christ told all of his disciples to cast out demons, but how many Christians actually read the damn book and would know that, right?

I actually had an almost identical coming out story for my coming out as gay. My mother's friend told her that she thought I was gay because I was hanging out with her gay son, and ew not like that. So the next day, Christmas Eve we are at my grandmothers and she asked me if I think I might be gay. I answered yes I thought I might be. Christmas day comes around and she flat out asks if I am gay, so I told her that I was. She was sad and cried for a few days at the thought of how hard my life would be and then it all got better and now she accepts me and even tells people all about her gay son.

In your case I hope it is the same. She seems pretty cool, or at least as if she really doesn't care one way of the other. I truly hope that is the case and you two can continue on as always.
"Stop chasing your tail and relax. Jesus is watching you make shit up." Shell B to CliveStaples

(July 21, 2012 at 12:31 am)cato123 Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 12:22 am)C.W. Sims Wrote: I for one, as a homo, must say that if he was a homo, then he had to have looked fabulous on that cross. Nearly naked, body all ripped, oh wait.... yeah, never mind. I'm gonna just stop right there before I offend anyone. ROFLOL

I have a certain distaste for the emoticons, and particularly despise the laughing/rolling dude when used in response to one's own statement, but.....

Holy fuck that was funny! "Nearly naked, body all ripped,....". Oh, fuck me. I'm still laughing but can no longer piss myself since I've emptied the tank.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any ignostics who came out of the closet? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2229 June 3, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist? godlessheatheness 45 4780 April 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11948 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Just converted my mom to atheism.....???? Rancid 16 3224 February 7, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: emilynghiem
  So this came with the copy of the God Delusion I just bought. Mudhammam 19 4876 April 23, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: DarkHorse
  My poor mom ThePinsir 22 4211 January 21, 2014 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Christian Drivel From Dear Mom Rahul 14 3431 June 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: _xenu_
  OK, so I just came out Gambit 48 14327 May 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Girlfriend's mom wont accept my atheism - what should we do? CatMeUp 18 9241 February 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  "Yes Mom, there IS no god" ..hmm can't be that easy ldarwin 19 4567 October 23, 2010 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Spectrum