Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the effect of political ads, particularly negative ones?
What is the effect of political ads, particularly negative ones?
I can't reasonably see that negative political ads are responsible for changing a significant number of minds. It would seem to me that the primary purpose of political ads is to stoke the fire of those who have already made up their mind, and is simply a tool to increase partisan voter turnout. Am I wrong in thinking this?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: What is the effect of political ads, particularly negative ones?
The party faithful are not the targets of attack ads, it's the undecided, the fence-sitters, that the party wants to impress. Hate for someone is more remembered than love. So don't bother loving your own candidate, just try to make them think that the other candidate sold "white" babies to Jews for human sacrifices every year just before Christmas.
(September 28, 2018 at 12:24 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I can't reasonably see that negative political ads are responsible for changing a significant number of minds. It would seem to me that the primary purpose of political ads is to stoke the fire of those who have already made up their mind, and is simply a tool to increase partisan voter turnout. Am I wrong in thinking this?

So I looked up a study about it:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...124913.htm

Quote:The study authors found that negative advertising is powerful in terms of influencing preferences and voter turnout, but not across the board. When the ads are from the candidates or campaigns themselves, the negative advertising was found to be more effective. When the negative advertising was from Political Action Committees (PACs), it was not as effective.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I don't get advertising in the first place.  Some fucking actor says "this is a great car" and I'm supposed to run out and buy it?  Political ads are even worse.  I can't even stand democratic ads anymore.  I'll be voting for Kristen Sinema to take the place of that useless dick Flake.  Not because she is any great progressive but because unlike her opponent she has not had her lips surgically attached to the WLB's ass. 

During the day when the news stations I am watching go to a commercial break I hit the mute button.  Sometimes I don't remember to un-mute for an hour or so.  I'm old enough to remember that when cable first came out it did not have ads.  Those were the good old days.
That's streaming, now.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We are now investigating cutting the cord.
My take is that the negative ad's against people attack the voters ability to trust the individual. And also instill fear.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
We're seeing an amusing negative campaign up here in KY right now.  About how Amy Mcgrath wants to abolish ICE and hates border security.  It's amusing..because she's tried the whole democrat dive to the nonexistent middle thing.  She openly and vocally supports ICE, and strong borders, lol.

How else are they supposed to paint a fucking fighter pilot as a weaksauce unpatriotic lesbocrat, though?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm beholden to neither party, and I generally vote for who best represents my views on positions and policy.

However, the more negative ads a candidate runs, the less likely I am to vote for them, particularly in the primaries. In general elections, it has less of an impact, because I'm unlikely to find much in common with the GOP these days. Not that I have any great love for the Democratic party.
(September 28, 2018 at 1:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't get advertising in the first place.  Some fucking actor says "this is a great car" and I'm supposed to run out and buy it?  Political ads are even worse.  I can't even stand democratic ads anymore.  I'll be voting for Kristen Sinema to take the place of that useless dick Flake.  Not because she is any great progressive but because unlike her opponent she has not had her lips surgically attached to the WLB's ass. 

During the day when the news stations I am watching go to a commercial break I hit the mute button.  Sometimes I don't remember to un-mute for an hour or so.  I'm old enough to remember that when cable first came out it did not have ads.  Those were the good old days.

I used to scoff at Dawkin's meme theory. But really all he is did was make a fancy way of saying "marketing works". Now it does not always work, but if it never worked, humans wouldn't flock to those things.

And marketing isn't just about every day goods, political parties and religions sell to the buyers because those things sell too.

It does in a very real physical sense take communication to end up in your eyes and your ears and ultimately your brain.

I do think the massive amount of "reality" tv and WWE Jerry Springer crap does appeal to people because those oversimplifications give the viewer quick satisfaction. But religion does too. It sells a utopia and gives the buyer of it a sense of security and morality and sense of being right.

It doesn't work on everyone all the time otherwise we'd all buy the same products and buy the same politics and religions.

Marketing can work to bring in new followers, but if you are always used to something and you see something else in that case one is less likely to switch. 

I can tell you that when I was a kid, I did buy the marketing of religion. I did buy the marketing of cigarettes and beer. It was only when I got older that it had less of an effect on me. I broke the marketing of religion obviously. I still smoke, but I do stick to the same brand and the marketing of other brands don't work on me. I also pretty much stick to the same beer.

Marketing does work, even attack adds, otherwise the people who make them wouldn't use them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gavin Newsom - Political Skunk onlinebiker 1 390 September 24, 2020 at 7:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saudi Arabia: Leaked reports reveal severe abuse of political prisoners-The Guardian WinterHold 6 1113 April 13, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  How (possible) Political Censorship Hides our Quirkiness Neo-Scholastic 1 264 October 10, 2018 at 10:38 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  This space for rent: NASA considers ads on spacecraft - good or bad? Angrboda 16 612 September 13, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Political Commentator Ed Schultz Is Dead A Theist 11 1701 July 9, 2018 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Major political win for lunatic Christian judge Roy Moore Foxaèr 9 1175 September 29, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Trump vows to destroy the law limiting churches' political activity Aegon 39 4308 February 5, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Muhammad Ali was no ‘draft dodger’ — but these five famous political figures were Minimalist 0 621 June 6, 2016 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheist Bus Ads: Not In My BackYard? TheRealJoeFish 8 1279 April 30, 2015 at 10:58 am
Last Post: John V