Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Informing aging relatives of your Atheism
Informing aging relatives of your Atheism
I'm curious how many of you have told your aging religious relatives of your Atheism. I've heard some say to just leave it alone and let them die thinking you'll be in heaven with them. I really don't talk much about religion with relatives. I just flat out answer "no" if they ask if I go to church. They usually don't try to question me further after that. Sometimes discussions about religion can be pointless when talking with someone who's devoted their whole life to it and is near death.
RE: Informing aging relatives of your Atheism
Most of my aging relatives are Hindu... and Hinduism has a concept called 'Nastikata', which essentially means a lack of belief in God. So it's not a hard pill for them to swallow.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
(October 6, 2018 at 2:50 pm)Bahana Wrote: I'm curious how many of you have told your aging religious relatives of your Atheism. I've heard some say to just leave it alone and let them die thinking you'll be in heaven with them. I really don't talk much about religion with relatives. I just flat out answer "no" if they ask if I go to church. They usually don't try to question me further after that. Sometimes discussions about religion can be pointless when talking with someone who's devoted their whole life to it and is near death.

You seem to have the situation well thought out and under control. No point upsetting the apple cart. Let them follow their beliefs while you follow yours.

Best of luck!

P.S. What I cannot understand is society's preoccupation with the hereafter. When I go to sleep, I don't worry about my time spent being unconscious. It doesn't hurt. Death is like sleeping, only a bit longer. I'm not concerned with the eternity before I was born, and I'm not concerned with the eternity after my death. It really is that simple.
Myths are for weak minds—Thinking takes effort—Following is easier
They never ask.
It'd a topic i don't Bring up irl, unless brought up.
They know i don't go to church though .
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
I've made a conscious decision that my elderly father will die without knowing I don't believe in god. Or heaven. Or hell. It would break his heart to think he will not see me someday in heaven. (Hopefully nobody will "out" me to him against my wishes.) It took me a while to come to terms with that. It felt hypocritical. Someone at TPTSNBN said something that put it in perspective for me and made me feel very "at peace" with that. I WISH I could remember who it was. I WISH I could remember exactly what they said that made it so much better. I WISH I'd copied and pasted that post to my personal files as soon as I read it. I WISH I knew for sure that I thanked them properly. (I doubt it.) Regrets.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
I don't go out of my way to shove my lack of belief down anyone's throat. However, if you have an issue with that fact that I don't believe, and somehow view it as disrespect to your beliefs, that's your problem.
Both my parents and grand parents (one from each side) died knowing I was an atheist. But they had 50 and 15 years (respectively) to let it sink in. And they all died a lingering death with their minds going before the body. I doubt it caused them much grief.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
On the subject of parents, my mother died in an auto accident in her 50s. It was the same year I gave up on supernaturalism. She never knew I rejected the religion and she was the reason I was brought up in it. In a way I'm glad we never had that argument. I was an angry and aggressive atheist at that time and I can't imagine it would have went well for her.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5231 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1723 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23320 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25841 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8197 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  How open are you with your Atheism? Casca 88 10055 November 3, 2016 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you have Crazy Religious Relatives? Cecelia 30 2763 July 9, 2016 at 1:17 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  So how do you deal with your atheism around the holidays GoHalos1993 22 4099 December 8, 2015 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Testing the strength of your Atheism PreV2 85 11896 February 21, 2015 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Mr.wizard