Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"In 100 years, our vision of science will be laughed at".
"In 100 years, our vision of science will be laughed at".
This is an argument i've heard a lot, mostly from sane-ish christians that say science is not always right. I will use the word "science" here as a general term characterizing mankind's knowledge and understanding of the Universe.

Tons of very renowned scientists assured the public that the Car, the Television, the Computer would be fashion inventions that had no future.

200 years ago, scientists assured that there was no way humans would ever go faster than 30 mph.

Going further back, 2000 years ago our understanding of the universe was very primal and in a way childish.

What's to say that 2000 years from now, all of our theories and laws will not be looked upon as childish and ignorant by our descendants ? They work for now, but how can we take them so seriously when in the future we are likely to realize how silly and ignorant we were ?

The link to Religion is that Science being not "credible' because the knowledge we now have, including Darwinian theory, is probably going to be obsolete down the road, its incompatibility with religious texts does not matter.
RE: "In 100 years, our vision of science will be laughed at".
I'm not sure what your point is.

Yes, science evolves based on new findings and it keeps asking new questions.

The point is that religion already thinks it has all the answers.
It's not even zero years, and the bible is already laughed at. So I guess bible wins.
BTW this isnt my point, but people who argue that use that argument.

Basically it means: how can we trust science when it will become obsolete over time anyways ? Is it the absolute truth if it is likely we'll find it silly in a few hundred years ?
People use lots of stupid arguments.
That will never change.

We live in the fervent hope that scientific investigation will get closer to the facts.
Religions morons live in the desperate hope that their fairy tales were right all along.

Big difference.
I don't see how this wouldn't be true. Not only is scientific progress marching on, but the information age has allowed this progress to accelerate faster and faster with each passing day.
One hundred years from now, humanity will look at the early 21st century like we currently do the early 19th century. Two hundred years from now, they'll look on us like we look at the 14th century.

But, as the saying goes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Rwandrall Wrote:BTW this isnt my point, but people who argue that use that argument.

Basically it means: how can we trust science when it will become obsolete over time anyways ? Is it the absolute truth if it is likely we'll find it silly in a few hundred years ?

Science won't become obsolete probably will evolve into fitting needs of that

Basicly it's assumptions made by arrogant people of the present in relation to the past, for example nowadays we deal with things that the ancient Egyptians had already seen as a problem and made something similar to laws to treat them(which surprised me), for example this segment of a webcomic kinda touches that example correctly

[Image: assumptions.jpg]
So how can we trust the current knowledge we have, including evolution for example, knowing its likely to become obsolete ?
Rwandrall Wrote:Basically it means: how can we trust science when it will become obsolete over time anyways ? Is it the absolute truth if it is likely we'll find it silly in a few hundred years ?

Because it's always best to trust the best information AVAILABLE.

Just because science corrects itself doesn't mean it doesn't get anything right. Just because it gets closer to the truth doesn't mean that beforehand it was a hundred miles from it.
Rwandrall Wrote:So how can we trust the current knowledge we have, including evolution for example, knowing its likely to become obsolete ?

You DON'T know that it's likely to become obsolete.

What about all the countless facts and theories of science that HAVEN'T become obsolete? Why are you ignoring them?
First, as i already said 2 or 3 times, this is not MY argument, it's an argument that theists use. So keep that in mind, im only being the Devil's advocate.

Some theories have not gone obsolete, but a lot have. So how can we trust the knowledge that we now have considering that knowledge is likely (likely meaning a probability, not a certainty) wrong ?

And to link that to theism: the science behind radiometric dating, evolution, the Big Bang, the expansion of the Universe, the origins of life, etc cannot be trusted since it is likely (again, emphasis on the "likely") to be proven false in time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 7929 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  First Temple to Norse Gods in 1,000 years to be built in Iceland Schwa 10 2722 February 4, 2015 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Alex K
  If science proves we were seeded by Annuanki? Does that make them our gods? greekGod 32 8189 August 21, 2014 at 5:01 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  This mentality seems more common on the Left. 24 years later, it reads like parody: Mudhammam 0 1307 August 9, 2014 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Ray Comfort loses a $100 bet concerning contradictions in the bible Gooders1002 15 4550 March 28, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Mothonis
  Heaven is for real.(The amazingly incredible truthful story that is 100% true.) Yahweh 17 6566 December 8, 2013 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  2200 years on and nothing has changed KichigaiNeko 2 916 June 20, 2013 at 7:58 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  I've had a vision Bueller 72 19660 April 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Deny Science and you Don't get to Use Science Eilonnwy 21 14203 February 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  What will be that main way of religion in 100 years? Gooders1002 42 15304 February 13, 2012 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist