Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a law for this?
Is there a law for this?
My cable box wouldn't work post "updates". So I unplugged it, waited one minute ish, and then plugged it back in. It worked.

There has to be a nerdy term for this? Huh
RE: Is there a law for this?
Power-Cycling.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Do I have to wear the tight pants?
(April 12, 2023 at 7:59 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: My cable box wouldn't work post "updates". So I unplugged it, waited one minute ish, and then plugged it back in. It worked.

There has to be a nerdy term for this? Huh

You do something similar with an xbox if you want to hard reset it... ie you have to physically disconnect the plug and wait a short time; I'm assuming that basically clears RAM, the data in which it presumably retains whilst it's powered, even if the machine is off (that's just my theory though).
(April 12, 2023 at 8:14 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Do I have to wear the tight pants?

Tight pants, loose pants, no pants, it's all good.
I always wear pants, guys lose their girlfriends if I don't.
Electronics and computers are like people.

If they stop working, you hit them with a hammer. Either they'll start working again or they never will.

Either way, your problem is solved with that particular piece of equipment.
Dying to live, living to die.
...and my bank account.
(April 12, 2023 at 9:26 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I always wear pants, guys lose their girlfriends if I don't.

It's true.

My avatar is me throwing my clothes at him.
Dying to live, living to die.
Around here it's called a Japanese reset, power off and on and all the nasty stuff goes away (except when it doesn't)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a real chance that there is a multiverse? SerenelyBlue 127 14971 September 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 10695 March 24, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The second law of thermodynamics and evolution king krish 65 9348 January 9, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  The Constraints of Physical Law Mudhammam 4 1883 March 26, 2014 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic