Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Great Man approach to history still have use?
Does the Great Man approach to history still have use?
Opinions?
RE: Does the Great Man approach to history still have use?
Went the way of the dodo right around the time Great Men lost the ability to control how we write history, didn't it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 5, 2023 at 10:36 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Opinions?

yes,  tyrants find it extremely useful for explaining why their tyranny should be submitted to.
(December 5, 2023 at 10:36 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Opinions?

It never did, since Great Men and their actions are the result of social forces and situations.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't really subscribe to it. I see history as a flow, and the people who make history are also shaped by that flow.

Duke Leto Atreides: [to Paul] Your grandfather said, "A great man doesn't seek to lead. He's called to it. And he answers." And if your answer is no, you'll still be the only thing I ever needed you to be, my son. I found my own way to it.
Hoelin [to Temujin]: ‘You’re fourteen, for fuck’s sake! Get out of the yurt and make something of yourself!!’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Great men, great women, great civilizations and dynasties, great actions, great calamities, great conflicts, great evils, ..............................

Mundane rarely makes it into the books.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 5, 2023 at 10:28 pm)brewer Wrote: Great men, great women, great civilizations and dynasties, great actions, great calamities, great conflicts, great evils,  ..............................

But what about mundane that rises to greatness? Audie Murphy?
(December 5, 2023 at 10:37 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(December 5, 2023 at 10:28 pm)brewer Wrote: Great men, great women, great civilizations and dynasties, great actions, great calamities, great conflicts, great evils,  ..............................

But what about mundane that rises to greatness? Audie Murphy?

We only know about Murphy's mundane origins because of his rise to greatness. That's kind of the point.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is history best forgotten? MarcusA 2 392 April 2, 2024 at 4:12 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Most notorious badass in history? Fake Messiah 67 4041 September 7, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The biggest scandal in history Fake Messiah 23 1679 August 14, 2023 at 8:32 am
Last Post: no one
  Want to know WW2 history? Brian37 12 1747 June 13, 2023 at 9:57 am
  Who was the worst Christian in history? Fake Messiah 29 3810 February 28, 2023 at 1:38 pm
  History is for suckers. brokefree 13 1362 September 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm
  The Bilble the oldest living form of written history we have jasonelijah 37 4117 April 22, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Presidential history. Brian37 16 1255 January 4, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Raven about Polls ..... History or myth? Brian37 9 1285 October 14, 2020 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  History and short term memory. Brian37 20 1842 September 12, 2020 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris