Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on God and religion
My views on God and religion

RE: My views on God and religion
TL/DR, maybe later.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 29, 2023 at 8:48 am)ShinyCrystals Wrote: It is as if God desires power over others. I know this sounds crazy, given how God is all loving and all that

Not crazy at all. That is exactly how the Bible describes God:

REV.3:9 - Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Quote:Evolution and survival of the fittest aside, what is the point of having a being that does not change in any way when everything else, including humans, do change?

What do you mean God does not change?  At first he was a tribal deity of the Hebrews, and demanded that his people have no other god before him.  Then later he said, naw, there never was any other God.  And even later Christians came along and said God was like Three-In-One Oil.
Three in one oil   Hehe

(August 29, 2023 at 9:35 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(August 29, 2023 at 8:48 am)ShinyCrystals Wrote: It is as if God desires power over others. I know this sounds crazy, given how God is all loving and all that

Not crazy at all. That is exactly how the Bible describes God:

REV.3:9 - Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Quote:Evolution and survival of the fittest aside, what is the point of having a being that does not change in any way when everything else, including humans, do change?

What do you mean God does not change?  At first he was a tribal deity of the Hebrews, and demanded that his people have no other god before him.  Then later he said, naw, there never was any other God.  And even later Christians came along and said God was like Three-In-One Oil.

Well, I could be wrong on this as well, but if God was perfect, wouldn’t that mean he would have to stay that way? Because from my understanding, a slight change could ruin perfection, does it not?

If I am wrong on anything, I do understand.
What is better? A world in which you could freely enjoy learning all sorts of things in life without so much undesired suffering? Or a similar world yet with so much undesired suffering?

I would say the former. My opinion is whatever I might actually learn from suffering in this world could alternatively have been learned in some other way that does not require suffering on my part.
(August 29, 2023 at 9:55 am)ShinyCrystals Wrote:
(August 29, 2023 at 9:35 am)LinuxGal Wrote: Not crazy at all. That is exactly how the Bible describes God:

Well, I could be wrong on this as well, but if God was perfect, wouldn’t that mean he would have to stay that way? Because from my understanding, a slight change could ruin perfection, does it not?

LG is talking about the evolution of beliefs about god/gods, which is separate from the object of the God-belief changing.
(August 29, 2023 at 10:17 am)GrandizerII Wrote:
(August 29, 2023 at 9:55 am)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Well, I could be wrong on this as well, but if God was perfect, wouldn’t that mean he would have to stay that way? Because from my understanding, a slight change could ruin perfection, does it not?

LG is talking about the evolution of beliefs about god/gods, which is separate from the object of the God-belief changing.

Oh, I see.

While it is true that beliefs about god/gods do change, I do not think I was talking about that. In fact, I am sure I was not talking about that. I may have missed something in what I said, but I was trying to talk about God himself rather than beliefs in God, if I am not mistaken. If I am, I might have made a typo.
Do you think it likely an omnipotent personal being exists?

If so, why?
(August 29, 2023 at 10:30 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: Do you think it likely an omnipotent personal being exists?

If so, why?

Not really. By "there's a god in all of us", I mean we are in control of our lives, and we don't necessarily need anyone, especially god/gods to do things for us, nor do we need to rely on god/gods to make something of ourselves. It was more of a metaphor than something literal.

That said, omnipotence is pretty much a paradox, and thus is something that cannot exist. I mean, being everything at once as well as nothing is paradoxical, is it not? There could be other things I am missing, but as far as I know, limits exist for a reason. I don't think anything can be omnipotent. I'd be wrong if I meant that there is a "god inside all of us", we'd be omnipotent. Even then, we are only human, and being omnipotent would make everything too easy for us, and with that, we probably would not really be human.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 908 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18792 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3971 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Views that are compatible w/ Atheism free_thinker_at_last 8 1528 August 11, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My views on religion dyresand 19 4955 December 24, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16582 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Your Views on Dawkins? clemdog14 93 27519 January 29, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Zone
  Attacked in student paper for my atheistic views Candles 14 5543 March 15, 2012 at 11:17 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Interesting survey of Australians religious views Justtristo 20 7793 November 28, 2011 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Justtristo