Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism?
Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism?
Real moment here, I love Buddhism with all my Soul, though I don't much care for its Priesthood, I have that same relationship with the Roman Catholic Church... anyways my Soul is ever on fire with the Light of God's Flame, look towards Sol brother from whence all Souls come from Soldiers one and all. Or are you not versed in the Aryan-Hyksos matrimony? God's Chosen People indeed... The Gardens of Babylon must have been a spectacular garden to behold...
RE: Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism?
No.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism?
I have a limited amount of interest, but I think the Buddha erred in several ways. I may change my mind on that, but any philosophy which aims to terminate one's existence is not a philosophy for the living.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 9, 2024 at 12:59 pm)Authari Wrote: Real moment here, I love Buddhism with all my Soul, though I don't much care for its Priesthood, I have that same relationship with the Roman Catholic Church... anyways my Soul is ever on fire with the Light of God's Flame, look towards Sol brother from whence all Souls come from Soldiers one and all. Or are you not versed in the Aryan-Hyksos matrimony? God's Chosen People indeed... The Gardens of Babylon must have been a spectacular garden to behold...

LOL nope

“anyways my Soul is ever on fire with the Light of God's Flame,”

F’n sick

Sounds painful must avoid!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I have always been quite introspective, without the need of an unnecessary belief system.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 9, 2024 at 1:31 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I have always been quite introspective, without the need of an unnecessary belief system.

Buddhism is neat like that where you can just apply the philosophy without any deistic preferences.
The bar for a useful philosophy..to me at least, is quite a bit higher than whether or not it contains gods - but we do hear alot of pitches like that. As if, because you don't have to believe in gods to be a buddhist, that would somehow make a given atheist more likely to accept the principles expressed by the religion. The most likely place for you to find people interested in buddhism, amusingly, would be a christian forum. If we can believe the self reported stats then most americans of faith have been influenced by or hold to some belief espoused by buddhism, effected by it's introduction into western pop culture and pretty well delineated on both sides by age. Even when they themselves acknowledge that it is or would be heretical in a plain understanding of their christian faiths. It seems to me, in this, that the appeal of buddhism vis a vis gods actually runs in precisely the opposite direction. You might not have to believe in gods to be a buddhist - but it sure as shit helps.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
At one point I identified as Buddhist, but the only thing I still value in it is a handful of meditation prompts. None of the cosmology or mythology does a thing for me. In particular, I find the ideas of karma, enlightenment and past lives to be silly and without merit.
Buddhism will always hold a special place in my heart, but like you Astreja, I don't put any stock in the religious or superstitious aspects of it. But as it pertains to this life, retconned as that idea may or may not be, I find it a very useful, practical, and comforting philosophy. I often turn to it when I'm feeling low as it has a great way of putting things into persoective for me, but I'm not as committed to it as I could be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any ? Rahn127 1167 93421 January 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12154 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13351 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5444 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  are any of you guys into lucid dreaming? Yoplait 19 3283 May 22, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Any of you live in the Bible Belt? aces 31 4797 February 15, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? tantric 110 18119 January 22, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Global religion datasets - for research... and interest ManMachine 3 1280 January 7, 2015 at 4:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Have you ever explored Buddhism? *Deidre* 49 9141 September 7, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Do you own any athiest/anti-religious shirts? Mudhammam 15 3804 August 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris