Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gospel of John controversy
Gospel of John controversy
Recently read this article:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/everyones-...w-research

This seems like  really old news to me.  I can remember being a Catholic teenager and noticing certain odd things about the Gospel of John including the marked difference in style and tone from the other gospels (as if a different person were speaking).  And I was about 16 when I first heard that all the gospels were written decades after Jesus died - with the Gospel of John being written about 100 years or more later which represents several generations at that time.  

And yes, I know that ALL the gospels could be said to have murky origins and that none are historically traceable to actual followers of Jesus.  Which creates kind of an interesting question about why Jesus didn't just write his teachings down himself, or get someone to do it while he was alive - since if he were God in the flesh he would have seen that these controversies would arise.

But here it seems like scholars have known for centuries that there were particular indicators that the Gospel of John is highly suspect, yet did not openly challenge it.  Even today some scholars call the first three gospels the "historical gospels" and the 4th gospel the "spiritual gospel."  I mean FFS the guy called himself "the disciple that Jesus loved" (this always seemed weird to me even as a kid, that Jesus would have loved only one of his followers if he was in fact God - shouldn't he love everyone?).  Also, the author apparently inserted himself into stories that appear in the other three gospels, when due to the time the gospel was written he couldn't actually have been present.

For more about the "Johannine works" controversy here's the Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship...nine_works

I'm interested in knowing links for any other information about this controversy.
RE: Gospel of John controversy
(March 3, 2024 at 7:04 pm)Jillybean Wrote: Recently read this article:

This seems like  really old news to me.  I can remember being a Catholic teenager and noticing certain odd things about the Gospel of John including the marked difference in style and tone from the other gospels (as if a different person were speaking).  And I was about 16 when I first heard that all the gospels were written decades after Jesus died - with the Gospel of John being written about 100 years or more later which represents several generations at that time.  

And yes, I know that ALL the gospels could be said to have murky origins and that none are historically traceable to actual followers of Jesus.  Which creates kind of an interesting question about why Jesus didn't just write his teachings down himself, or get someone to do it while he was alive - since if he were God in the flesh he would have seen that these controversies would arise.

But here it seems like scholars have known for centuries that there were particular indicators that the Gospel of John is highly suspect, yet did not openly challenge it.  Even today some scholars call the first three gospels the "historical gospels" and the 4th gospel the "spiritual gospel."  I mean FFS the guy called himself "the disciple that Jesus loved" (this always seemed weird to me even as a kid, that Jesus would have loved only one of his followers if he was in fact God - shouldn't he love everyone?).  Also, the author apparently inserted himself into stories that appear in the other three gospels, when due to the time the gospel was written he couldn't actually have been present.

I'm interested in knowing links for any other information about this controversy.

I"m not sure I'd call it a "controversy." Bible scholars and historians have had different views about the Gospel of John (and every other part of the Bible) for a long time now. Particularly since the German Enlightenment started up new and more historically strict methods of reading the Bible, people have been debating all the issues you raise. 

And I guess I'm also going to disagree with your phrase "did not openly challenge it." Lots of people have challenged it. 

True, in the Middle Ages people thought John was the first and most accurate. Dante believed this. But it has not been the historians' view of things for a long time.

It's common knowledge that the Synoptics are more similar and John is different in many ways. It's widely accepted among scholars that the story of the woman taken in adultery, for example, is a later addition, not in any earlier source. It may well be a bit of fiction made up to demonstrate what Jesus was like (or what they thought Jesus was like). 

Remember that in those days nobody had the goal of writing straight journalism, or facts-only history. They had points to make. They also felt it was just fine to write what -- in their opinion -- a famous guy would have said if he'd had time to say it, and then attribute it to him. There are dozens of spurious dialogues "by Plato" which are now agreed to be by later authors. 

So this will only seem like a problem if you're a strict sola scriptura literalist. And there have been surprisingly few of those in history.
(March 3, 2024 at 7:45 pm)Belacqua Wrote: \

I"m not sure I'd call it a "controversy." Bible scholars and historians have had different views about the Gospel of John (and every other part of the Bible) for a long time now. Particularly since the German Enlightenment started up new and more historically strict methods of reading the Bible, people have been debating all the issues you raise. 

And I guess I'm also going to disagree with your phrase "did not openly challenge it." Lots of people have challenged it. 

True, in the Middle Ages people thought John was the first and most accurate. Dante believed this. But it has not been the historians' view of things for a long time.

It's common knowledge that the Synoptics are more similar and John is different in many ways. It's widely accepted among scholars that the story of the woman taken in adultery, for example, is a later addition, not in any earlier source. It may well be a bit of fiction made up to demonstrate what Jesus was like (or what they thought Jesus was like). 

Remember that in those days nobody had the goal of writing straight journalism, or facts-only history. They had points to make. They also felt it was just fine to write what -- in their opinion -- a famous guy would have said if he'd had time to say it, and then attribute it to him. There are dozens of spurious dialogues "by Plato" which are now agreed to be by later authors. 

So this will only seem like a problem if you're a strict sola scriptura literalist. And there have been surprisingly few of those in history.

Fair enough.  I guess that modern historians should be calling it "the most obviously fake gospel" rather than "the spiritual gospel."

You know the thing that's interesting to me?  Buried in all of that, the idea that a god wouldn't have let (or would have known) how these fairy tales would pan out.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

It is worse than the Gospels being written after the fact. 

#1 None of the writers of the NT used their real names. 

#2 None of the alleged "historians" apologists always point to lived during the time the bible claims the Jesus character existed. 

Tacitus was born in 56ce. 
Suetonius was born 69ce. 
Pliny The Younger was born 61ce.
Herodotus was born 484ce.

Livy is the only one I have run into so far claimed by apologists that was born 59bce and died 17ce. But the research I have done on that name says he never mentions the character Jesus at all. 

#3 and most importantly. No such thing as a magic baby without a second set of DNA with super powers. And if you were to kill a human in the manor as implied by the death myth in the bible, that would have to include the process of rigor mortis in reality, and nobody survives rigor mortis. 

And there are other virgin birth myths in antiquity as well as crucified gods as well.
They gospels are 'historical' in precisely the same sense that Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae is an accurate and well-researched account of the founding of Britain.

This applies to the Synoptics as well as to John. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Herodotus? Why would he be relevant with Jesus when he wrote centuries before Jesus was even a thing? Or, for that matter, Livy, who died before Jesus would have started his ministry and whose works only went down to about 9 BC (with the surviving parts only reaching 166 BC)?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 4, 2024 at 6:18 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Herodotus? Why would he be relevant with Jesus when he wrote centuries before Jesus was even a thing? Or, for that matter, Livy, who died before Jesus would have started his ministry and whose works only went down to about 9 BC (with the surviving parts only reaching 166 BC)?

I literally just the day before yesterday had some idiot post an unsourced meme of alleged "historians" he claimed knew about Jesus and that was one of the names on the list. Plato Aristotle and Homer too. This was the idiot's "evidence".

[Image: 429829880_289588107278785_64862044563243...e=660D2CAB]

None of the gospels are historical, because none of them are written by people with access to first or even second hand accounts of the life of Yeshua bar Yosef. Mark is accepted as the oldest, and the very earliest that was written is 75CE (whenever biblical scholars date a bible passage, that is invariably the earliest possible date, not the likeliest date) and we know that gospel was significantly different until at least the 4th century CE (Codex Vaticanus doesn't have a description of tge "resurrection" in Mark as it was added later in the century). In fact the earliest confirmed date we have for the existence of any of the gospels is late into the 2nd century CE. Older samples are scraps of no better than one or two words.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
PS Welcome, welcome! Make yourself at home and tell the mods what flavour of BBQ baby you prefer.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mark's Gospel was damaged and reassembled incorrectly SeniorCitizen 1 350 November 19, 2023 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Embellishments in the Gospel of Mark. Jehanne 133 13265 May 7, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11728 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 5755 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  1 John 4:1 compared to The No True Scotsman Fallacy and sophisms Thomas Kelly252525 104 13503 June 20, 2016 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Anonymous Gospel Manuscripts athrock 127 23291 February 9, 2016 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = Satanic Gospel Metis 14 4056 July 17, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 19023 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  The infancy gospel of thomas dyresand 18 6792 December 29, 2014 at 10:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  "Gospel Quest" (or The Jesus Timeline) DeistPaladin 93 16790 August 11, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist