Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignore the hero - thank God!
Ignore the hero - thank God!
You've heard similar stories in the news before. I'm rapidly getting tired of hearing the same tune. Yeah, yeah a potential tragedy or loss of life is averted by natural means, i.e. a person helping another person and anyone whose life or member of their families' life is spared immediately proceeds to thank, not the individual(s) who risked their safety and wellbeing in order to perform this noble act, but some fucking deity.

Take this recent story for example:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/13165880

Ms Beard saves toddler Jah-Nea Myles from a four-storey fall that would either result in permanent injury or death. Fantastically good news! ^^ All is fine, until the mother Helena Myles opens her condescending gob:

Quote:"I'm thanking the Lord above right now for saving my child's life. I'm also thanking that lady because she was an angel sent from heaven."

Seriously lady, I couldn't be happier for you and your babies' life. That is paramount, but you should have just kept your mouth shut and you'd be far more decent and respectful to us fellow humanists/activists out there. Thanking a god while ignoring or denouncing the real living person (who is standing right in front of you) because clearly they HAD to be an agent of divine intervention, because you think such acts and deeds cannot possibly come from humankind alone is insulting beyond belief.

Doesn't this piss you off also when theists do this? Ignore the real hero/heroine and thank their god?
RE: Ignore the hero - thank God!
(April 22, 2011 at 4:08 am)Welsh cake Wrote:
Quote:"I'm thanking the Lord above right now for saving my child's life. I'm also thanking that lady because she was an angel sent from heaven."
Doesn't this piss you off also when theists do this? Ignore the real hero/heroine and thank their god?
I fail to see how she ignored the heroine...in fact, from her Christian view, she elevated her to the highest possible thing a creature could be: a perfect representative of God. This only amounts to an insult from your humanist perspective - since you don't believe God exists! Why she should care more about whether she appears decent in your eyes rather than her Lord's is rather beyond me.
(April 22, 2011 at 4:40 am)Eleazar Wrote: This only amounts to an insult from your humanist perspective - since you don't believe God exists!
If you save me and my family from a burning building and I proceed to thank not you, but the Invisible Pink Unicorn wouldn't you feel the least bit insulted?

If you risk your life to save mine from drowning and I thank you only because I think you were sent by the devil to save me would you take offence?
(April 22, 2011 at 5:29 am)Welsh cake Wrote: If you save me and my family from a burning building and I proceed to thank not you, but the Invisible Pink Unicorn wouldn't you feel the least bit insulted?

If you risk your life to save mine from drowning and I thank you only because I think you were sent by the devil to save me would you take offence?
I would feel pretty confused...invisibility and pinkness not being especially harmonious concepts, and the devil not being especially famous for being a doer of good works. The woman did thank the heroine anyway (and not only because she was an "angel")...so I fail to see the analogy.
If she'd dropped he baby would she've blamed god?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 22, 2011 at 5:35 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: If she'd dropped he baby would she've blamed god?
That would probably depend on her theology, which I'm not privy too.
The heroine should have played along with it and say that she is a minion of the devil. Tongue
Quote:"I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them."
— Philip Pullman
Yeah, that kind of stuff always makes me want to puke. No, she wasn't an angel sent from heaven, I'm sure her birth was documented with a birth certificate and she's been living in England for many years. All this "angel sent from heaven" talk makes it sound like angels are just showing up "Touched by an Angel" style and helping people everywhere.

But it's not nearly as bad as the overuse of the word "miracle." Someone gets into an automobile accident, and they say, "It's a miracle I wasn't killed." No, it's the past 100 years of automotive safety technology such as seat belts, airbags, crumple zones, etc. designed by engineers at automotive companies. Not to mention that you are statistically more likely to surivive an accident than die in one.

Other ways they overuse the word "miracle" is by saying something like, "It's a miracle that single mother with three kids and a low-paying job is making ends meet." No, perhaps she just has good economic sense.

A miracle is an event which transcends the laws of science, such as walking on water, turning water into wine, and raising the dead. People overusing the word to refer to everyday events are just watering down the meaning.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
But wasn't God the one that made the baby fall off the building in the first place?
~ Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give a man a religion and he'll die praying for a fish.
(April 22, 2011 at 4:08 am)Welsh cake Wrote: You've heard similar stories in the news before. I'm rapidly getting tired of hearing the same tune.
And I'm rapidly getting tired of hearing this same old tune from atheists after any tragedy in which someone thanks God for what happened to them. So she believes in God and attributes God to her babies' rescue. So what? She has as much right to pronounce how she feels on the subject as you would if the same had happened to you. Grow up and get over it.

Oh no! She believes in God, something which in her mind is the highest of the high, and associated a kind-hearted woman who saved her baby with that God! How dare she be so condescending to that woman!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thank God" after the fact. Brian37 44 2660 June 4, 2021 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 19517 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Thank you for more of your nonsense, Pat Robertson Foxaèr 22 3452 October 3, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Puke Skywalker
  Thank ALLAH that the pagan holiday of CHRISTMAS is over! 21stCenturyIconoclast 62 8421 December 30, 2016 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Joods
  Poll: Christians, is this man a hero or a Grinch in your eyes? Mystical 27 3491 December 19, 2016 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Richard Carrier - The Hero Savior Analogy Minimalist 135 19331 October 4, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19403 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Parts of the Bible theists on this board ignore Rampant.A.I. 23 7626 June 8, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Thank you, Sam Harris ThePrimeSingularity 44 9084 December 13, 2013 at 10:29 am
Last Post: Duck