Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got books!
I got books!
So....I have been putting this off since my deconversion. I have about 100+ religious books that I have absolutely no need/use for whatsoever. But....I have no idea what to do with them. I don't necessarily want to donate them as that would further perpetuate another persons' religious delusions. But I feel bad at the thought of throwing away a book...any book...and I am not a "book burning" type either.

I there a place that could recycle the paper if I shipped them the books?
...bows to no god, kingdom, or state...
RE: I got books!
Trust your feelings.

They are just paper. Step away from the fear of bad mojo and torch those puppies.
Trying to update my sig ...
Burn them like a witch! Could be good lighting fuel?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
You don't have municipal paper-recycling where you come from..?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

You could always buy a bunch of gerbils and use the books as a cage liner.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 21, 2011 at 5:02 am)Kayenneh Wrote: You don't have municipal paper-recycling where you come from..?

Not that I am aware of.
(June 20, 2011 at 11:35 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Trust your feelings.

They are just paper. Step away from the fear of bad mojo and torch those puppies.

(June 21, 2011 at 3:14 am)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: Burn them like a witch! Could be good lighting fuel?

(June 21, 2011 at 5:16 am)FaithNoMore Wrote: You could always buy a bunch of gerbils and use the books as a cage liner.

Yeah...I need to get over it and use them for something that actually is useful. I am going camping in July......and we always need something to fuel the fire. Maybe the books can serve that purpose.Thinking
There's got to be quite a few of them that may still serve you as reference material --- you know, in case you need something for fodder on the forum.Wink
[Image: Evolution.png]

Put humourous references in the margins, highlight text put a line to it and write 'well that makes sense 'sarcasm'' then donate them to charity and chortle at your own cleverness.

Or sell them on ebay.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Put humourous references in the margins, highlight text put a line to it and write 'well that makes sense 'sarcasm'' then donate them to charity and chortle at your own cleverness.

Or sell them on ebay.

I actually thought about doing that. But I think i'd rather douse myself in gasoline and set myself on fire rather than read through that batshit myth crap again.Big Grin

eta: I'd feel bad selling them on ebay.....they would only serve to further a person deeper into theism. That would be a sin.
(June 21, 2011 at 11:14 am)Cinjin Wrote: There's got to be quite a few of them that may still serve you as reference material --- you know, in case you need something for fodder on the forum.Wink

That is a good idea. I'll hide the books away in a box though lest someone think i've come back into the fold.FSM Grin
If you recycle they are going to be used to create another batshit myth. Alternatively you can use it as fuel for a fire? Just burn it!
Use it as toilet paper? It's a piece of shit anyway?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6784 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2564 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1564 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Beatles song hey ya got to hide your love away is very relateable for forever single Rextos 3 1232 March 15, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  This is the message I just got on Facebook Easy Guns 15 4018 December 31, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4132 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  my ramble on facebook.. got bored Goon 1 1332 April 23, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Goon
  So toay i got my triangle tattoo and watched what happend AugumentAthiest666 3 1332 December 8, 2014 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7524 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Atheism just got OwowowowOWNED!!! MJ the Skeptical 28 4221 June 23, 2014 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical