Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hello everybody. I'm here because I'm interested in religion and belief systems or lack thereof. Especially how it is possible for people to abandon logic and reason to make a leap of faith and then apply logic and reason to defend that leap of faith. Why is it that people don't understand that if they apply logic and reason to defend their position, how come they didn't apply logic and reason to arrive at the same position in the first place? If a leap of faith is the right way of arriving at a position how come they then turn around 180 degrees and use logic and reason to defend that position? Fascinating.
RE: Hello
Welcome. And if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by weak agnostic?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: Welcome. And if you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by weak agnostic?

Thank you. Smile Well, I read Wikipedia and it fits pretty well with my point of view.

There doesn't seem to be a distinguishable difference between week agnosticism and weak atheism except for the reasons to not believe. You should just call yourself an atheist and be done with it.Smile
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
You're assuming weakling that faith doen't involve reasoning where it actually does. So that's another hit for the team Sad
What are you pissing and moaning about fr0d0? Sometimes I wonder if you're actually speaking English or if you've randomly thrown together words that you think sound good.Smile
Welcome.
(July 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: What are you pissing and moaning about fr0d0? Sometimes I wonder if you're actually speaking English or if you've randomly thrown together words that you think sound good.Smile

I didn't get it either...

And I just chose week agnostic because my personal impression from reading this forum is that atheist sometimes means aggressive and that doesn't fit me at all.

(July 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm)weakagnostic Wrote: And I just chose week agnostic because my personal impression from reading this forum is that atheist sometimes means aggressive and that doesn't fit me at all.

Nope, atheism only pertains to belief, not personality. And the people here only seem aggressive because this is the only refuge some of us have from religion so we get a bit pissy with the preaching and whatnot.
(July 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm)weakagnostic Wrote:
(July 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: What are you pissing and moaning about fr0d0? Sometimes I wonder if you're actually speaking English or if you've randomly thrown together words that you think sound good.Smile

I didn't get it either...

And I just chose week agnostic because my personal impression from reading this forum is that atheist sometimes means aggressive and that doesn't fit me at all.

Hello and welcome. You might try looking at the thread " Why Agnosticism " to gauge the opinions here.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6015 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates