Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science experiments - Atheist views?
Science experiments - Atheist views?
I just wanted to know as Atheists what your thoughts were on scientific experiments done in the name of mankinds advancement.

I know it's more about personal morality but beliefs play a big part in that, how far should we go to get what we need?

I read this on wiki please take a minute to read it .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair

After reading this I only had one thought, If I were in alley way and Harlow was there two I think only one of us would be leaving it.

A lot of us find it easy to go by with hear no evil see no evil, but I couldn't help being absolutely disgusted thinking about those poor little mites not being able to make any sense of their existance or why this is happening, I mean new borns with no prior knowledge of life .... that fking sucks.
RE: Science experiments - Atheist views?
Quote:Harlow's research, though controversial, has provided insight into the behaviors of abused children and has improved methods of providing care to institutionalized children. While many of his experiments would be considered unethical today, their nature and Harlow's descriptions of them heightened awareness of the treatment of laboratory animals and thus paradoxically contributed somewhat to today's ethics regulations.

Ends justify the means?
Harlow strikes me as a sad, bitter man stiking out at the universe the only way he knew how after his wifes cancer. For sure he would not be able to conduct his experiments now.

Interesting to compare his work to the institutionalised child abuse of the Catholic church, who don't even have the excuse of scientific research to fall back on.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(September 8, 2011 at 8:07 am)Tiberius Wrote:
Quote:Harlow's research, though controversial, has provided insight into the behaviors of abused children and has improved methods of providing care to institutionalized children. While many of his experiments would be considered unethical today, their nature and Harlow's descriptions of them heightened awareness of the treatment of laboratory animals and thus paradoxically contributed somewhat to today's ethics regulations.

Ends justify the means?

While I appreciate some of the aspects he got from the experiments in my opinion the frequency in number that he carried out to me is excessive and I have to take exception that even though I am certainly not squeamish and I do believe in ends justify the means ..... there are limits.

If it was as simple as ends justify the means they may as well of carried that experiment out on human baby's and get the quicker answer?

I'm extremely protective of animals I find there innocence precious and to trash that innocence of a newly born baby monkey leaving it freaked out and suicidal through lack of affection and care while you sit back and watch it's reactions is inhumane and unholy and I would not allow it in my presence.
You overrate your presence.
(September 8, 2011 at 10:05 am)Chuck Wrote: You overrate your presence.

Would you like to explain to everyone what that opinion you just expressed has to do with the subject?

Maybe your presence is one I could just ignore?

(forgot about this one, but then that's understandable).
What does what you would allow in your presence have to do with what atheists, which you are not, thinks?

Btw, your attitude towards my presence neither effects my presence nor warrants my notice.
(September 8, 2011 at 11:09 am)Chuck Wrote: What does what you would allow in your presence have to do with what atheists, which you are not, thinks?

Btw, your attitude towards my presence neither effects my presence nor warrants my notice.

So only atheists are allowed an opinion? I created this thread and as I'm asking surely I should be able to express my particular views?

Don't need your permission anyway so that's a redundant question.
(September 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm)Diamond-Deist Wrote: So only atheists are allowed an opinion? I created this thread and as I'm asking surely I should be able to express my particular views?

Yeah but that's the problem. You've got that many atheists on ignore you show your true intentions when it comes to hearing what other people think. You're only interested in hearing your own words.
Come on an ATHEIST forum, to hear ATHEISTS opinions and ask ATHEISTS a question, but really, you just came to listen to yourself.

Too bad you can't listen to my atheist opinion hmm? Damn shame.
(September 8, 2011 at 8:01 am)Diamond-Deist Wrote: I just wanted to know as Atheists what your thoughts were on scientific experiments done in the name of mankinds advancement.

I think this is mainly a moral issue, in my opinion, because atheists are only those who do not believe in God.

Their views on other things like scientific experiments and mankind's advancement could be made up of a variety of different opinions and they don't necessarily have to be related to their disbelief in God (or them being an atheist). However, I understand that you wanted to ask this question to the atheists in this forum specifically. So that's okay. I'm interested to know their veiws as well. The only problem is that you won't be able to read the replies of those who are in your ignore list (as said by Napoleon).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My views on God and religion ShinyCrystals 72 4403 October 30, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18793 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3971 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Views that are compatible w/ Atheism free_thinker_at_last 8 1528 August 11, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue
Video The Married Atheist vid: Morality from science? robvalue 5 2029 March 19, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  My views on religion dyresand 19 4959 December 24, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Experiments that demonstrate creationism. Zidneya 21 3745 October 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Observational Science vs. Historical Science?! Duke Guilmon 8 3372 April 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Your Views on Dawkins? clemdog14 93 27523 January 29, 2013 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Zone
  Would you be an atheist if science and reason wasn't supportive of atheism? Vincenzo Vinny G. 151 62710 December 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Samson1