Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What IS America?
What IS America?
So a couple days ago this conversation started on the Skeptalk e-mail list. One of the guys was discussing a family member objecting to his child reciting the Mexican Pledge of Allegiance (instead of our own) in Spanish class - like words have power. That's probably something I'll make another thread about, but in any case:

John Wrote:Along Rachel's line, reciting that USA is a Republic seems to have not ever seeped into the minds of the majority who think it's a Democracy.

Peter Wrote:Is there an informed, intelligent, concise argument for the notion of "The US is a R, not a D".

John Wrote:http://thisnation.com/question/011.html

Erik Wrote:I'll counter John's "thisnation.com" link with a Wikipedia link or two:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic#United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy

Within the US, our form of government is generally referred to as a republic instead of a democracy because it's not a *direct* democracy. Apparently, though, this form of government is also properly known as a "representative democracy." I've also heard the US referred to as a "democratic republic." So it's not *quite* as simple as saying "this is not a democracy, it's a republic." It's essentially both, because "republic" alone doesn't necessarily imply that the republican government is formed democratically, whereas "democracy" alone suggests direct democracy.

Wikipedia suggests that *another* appropriate term would be "liberal republic."

The conversation has gone on for quite some time - what do you politically minded bastards ( Big Grin ) think?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: What IS America?
We elect representatives from a list of corporate gooneys. I call it a "fucked up republic."
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
America is a pair of continents in the western hemisphere.

What do I win?
(October 21, 2011 at 7:35 am)I_Blaspheme Wrote: America is a pair of continents in the western hemisphere.

What do I win?

The respect of internet strangers.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
It's a republic constitutional democracy.

Read that how you want.
It's a joke Tongue
Cunt
Swiftly approaching banana republic.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The name of the continent.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
205 posts and finally we have a winner, kudos mehmet.
But that's what it is. I don't know why the USA chose to adopt the name for itself, and why the world uses it to denote the USA.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3953 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7605 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 7485 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3151 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1156 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3909 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Mental Illness Crisis in America T.J. 9 1149 August 19, 2019 at 12:03 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2370 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6507 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2443 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37