Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 7:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Get-Togethers
RE: AF Get-Togethers
[REDACTED] [REDACTED]
(October 23, 2015 at 11:46 am)Minimalist Wrote: If any of you are ever in Phoenix.....bring sunscreen.

He's just kidding everyone ...

... I think everybody here already knows that one should NEVER go anywhere in Arizona.  

[Image: John-McCain-Arizona-Maverick-Senator-Fac...50x487.jpg]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Make sure you bring your papers.

[Image: licenseplate.jpg]
Hey if any of you guys are ever in the Moncton area hit me up. Kinda hard to miss since its the main land hub for Atlantic Canada.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(September 22, 2015 at 4:20 am)robvalue Wrote: I live in Kent, near Maidstone Smile

If I ever end up in England, which I hope to have a holiday working visa, I'll hit you up. Bewarned I'm especially curious about the Fibonacci sequence and the square root of -1
Edit and pi as I PM'd you before.
Signifying nothing.
Sounds great Smile

Oh goodie, maths, my favourite! You're welcome to ask anything you like about it in PM or in person.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 24, 2015 at 1:21 am)robvalue Wrote: Sounds great Smile

Oh goodie, maths, my favourite! You're welcome to ask anything you like about it in PM or in person.

Okay. What's the deal with √-1?
Signifying nothing.
(October 24, 2015 at 1:01 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(October 24, 2015 at 1:21 am)robvalue Wrote: Sounds great Smile

Okay. What's the deal with √-1?

(Edited to remove some wrong info, been a while since I talked about this!)

Lol right! Good question Smile

It's the basis of what we call imaginary numbers. The numbers we usually deal with are called real numbers, this includes all the positive and negative numbers, and all the decimals between each.

We use the letter i to represent the constant of √-1 so that i*i = -1. An imaginary number is then some (real) multiple of i. These numbers don't directly correlate to reality; you can't have 3i of something. Pure mathematics isn't required to have anything to do with reality, only that it is internally consistent. As it happens though, imaginary numbers can help us with reality in an indirect way.

When we add a real number to an imaginary number, we create a complex number (complex as in made up of parts, rather than complicated). So the complex numbers take the form a + bi where a and b are real numbers. This set of complex numbers is now an extension of real numbers.

It has some very useful properties right away, such as giving roots to every polynomial. We often find we have "no solutions" to polynomial equations such as x^2 + 4 = 0. Once we include complex numbers, each polynomial set equal to zero always has a solution.

(A polynomial is a series of terms of the kind ax^n added together, where a is a real number and n is an integer [0, 1, 2, ...] We say the polynomial is of order m, where m is the largest power of x with a non-zero in front of it. All other lesser powers can have a zero or non zero amount.)

Complex numbers have a huge number of applications, the simplest of which is turning a tricky real number problem into the "real part" of a simpler complex number problem, and then extracting the real part again at the end.

That's probably more than you were bargaining for Big Grin Feel free to ask if anything is unclear, or if you want to know more.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Also, oddly, quantum waves are described by complex numbers...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I removed the part about polynomials order n always having n distinct complex roots because I realized that's wrong. Bit rusty Big Grin They usually do, but sometimes a root can still repeat. They do however always have at least one complex root.

Index of my best videos