Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to be an Atheist?
RE: How to be an Atheist?
(January 24, 2016 at 12:46 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(January 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm)mediocrates Wrote: Atheism isn't something you can try on like a pair of shoes or lederhosen. You can't just say "I think I'll stop believing for a while an see if it's for me."

You either believe or you don't and there isn't a choice to be made. Once new information is available the status of a belief can change; but, not because you choose to let it.

This kind of puts belief in the category of falling in love.  There is mature love which isn't gaga and I suspect the same can be true of belief.

I might be wrong but I think the most intense kinds of love can't lost very long. Not to mention, I think the sort of extreme romantic love I'm talking about is made up of a plethora of strong illusions that sustain it. That doesn't necessarily take away from "mature love" but it's not exactly the same thing, either, so it's not a surprise that it can often be so unshakeable.
(January 24, 2016 at 12:46 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(January 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm)mediocrates Wrote: Atheism isn't something you can try on like a pair of shoes or lederhosen. You can't just say "I think I'll stop believing for a while an see if it's for me."

You either believe or you don't and there isn't a choice to be made. Once new information is available the status of a belief can change; but, not because you choose to let it.

This kind of puts belief in the category of falling in love.  There is mature love which isn't gaga and I suspect the same can be true of belief.

I suppose. I think there should come a time when a person learns what "true" belief/love is. Prior to that, ignorance would keep them blissfully unaware of what they're missing out on or buying into. 

Interesting thought...
(January 24, 2016 at 12:46 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: This kind of puts belief in the category of falling in love.  There is mature love which isn't gaga and I suspect the same can be true of belief.

Falling in love is nothing more than bodily chemicals working together.

There is no comparison to belief in that which clearly has no evidence for its existence.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote: He seems so decent and kind, as far as Gods and myths go. Unlike other Gods (like Anubis,Thor,Poseiden,Zeus, Odin, etc.) Jesus was (and still is) decent and kind to people,

And just as phony as the others you named.  They have that in common which outweighs all other factors.
How do you "try" atheism?
Simple. Just by trying "Christianity."

I have have had doubts and ceased to "practice." So I've tried it.

Truth be told this whole "Fake fundie" shtick of mine has been sort of a strange, cathartic way of dealing with my doubts about the faith
One only tries Christianity when one has lost all faculties of his mind.

One does not try atheism any more than one tries out a sexuality.

Atheism is the default position, for one learns about religion.

A baby is a blank slate. Place that baby in a room with no mention of religion. Will that individual, as it grows, discover religion on its own?

No, because that individual would have to be taught about religion first.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 24, 2016 at 1:35 am)TrueChristian Wrote: Simple. Just by trying "Christianity."

I have have had doubts and ceased to "practice." So I've tried it.

Truth be told this whole "Fake fundie" shtick of mine has been sort of a strange, cathartic way of dealing with my doubts about the faith

Not practicing a religion is not the same as being an atheist, just as practicing a religion does not make you a theist. Its a matter of what you actually believe, or don't believe.
To respond to the op, feeling has nothing to do with it. I don't care about what feels right, I care about what is right. And religion just falls flat when it comes to being right, there are so many inaccuracies and contradictions that there is no way that they were authored by a god of any sort. Also there is the fact empiricism has taken us further then any philosophy ever, it forms the basis of every reputable modern academic study, and when we use modern techniques of historical inquiry, it quickly becomes apparent that Jesus was no more a son of god then apollonius or Simon bar kochba. Or even Vespasian. In fact it becomes doubtful he was ever even a real person. I think even the church quietly concedes this because of how the teaching of Saul of Tarsus are far more prelevant in Christian doctrine then those of Jesus himself. Then there is the OT. The god described there is a monster. When you read it as the word of god it makes such little sense. But then when you read as a collection of stories designed to manipulate ancient peoples it makes much more sense.
Ex. The story of David and Bethesda. If you take this as a historical fact then you left scratching your head thinking really? God randomly pops in after Uriah is dead and kills a baby? Breaking his own commandments that a son shall not for his father sin?
But when you read as a atheist, the story and its meaning are clearer. And it contains an important lesson, that even the greatest of men can bring their fall by thinking with their dick, and in this story god is simply a literary device that carries out that point. He is as writers through the ages have called it, deus ex machina.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(January 24, 2016 at 12:47 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(January 23, 2016 at 10:24 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: Checkmate again TC, I'll miss you when you eventually get banned.

Why would he get banned?
I believe him to be a completely insincere troll.

His name is literally a take on a well known fallacy for FSM sake.
Bah maybe I'm just grumpy, I have no ice cream left and this blizzard has me stuck.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]