Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 6, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explain atheism
RE: Explain atheism
(January 29, 2016 at 3:28 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Atheism is my state of mind, I don't believe in any deities, Q.E.D. However, I am a Unitarian, and am an example of an atheist who does not find atheism completely incompatible with religion.

I wonder if you could explain that a little, the Unitarian part.  I could google it but it would be more informative coming from you and I'm not sure if varies amongst Unitarians or not.

I could also say I don't find atheism completely incompatible with religion in as much as religion has an allegorical side which makes no empirical claims which can be of interest in its own right.  But I wonder how you mean that.
RE: Explain atheism
(January 29, 2016 at 3:28 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Atheism is my state of mind, I don't believe in any deities, Q.E.D. However, I am a Unitarian, and am an example of an atheist who does not find atheism completely incompatible with religion.

The most interesting question to ask an atheist about their atheism is to ask why they are an atheist. The process by which the conclusion is reached tells you more about them than the conclusion itself.
Yeah, I think that is the interesting question. For me it was the evidential problem of evil + Occam's razor/"gods don't exist" being most simple-straightforward answer to evil + argument from nonbelief +  Occam's razor/"gods don't exist" being most simple-straightforward answer + religious texts seeming to reflect the views of ancient cultures and not the views of the greatest conceivable being + Occam's razor/"gods don't exist" being most simple-straightforward answers are all reasons for me being a mitigated strong atheist and not a weak atheist. By mitigated I mean that I believe "gods don't exist" is very unlikely but still more likely than theism.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal