Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brainstorm
RE: Brainstorm
You keep saying that you're not trying to control the thread, but on nearly every page there are examples of you talking about how you envisioned the thread going. Why say that?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 1, 2016 at 3:48 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
Quote:And how does that get you anything we don't already have in separate threads.  (It kind of feels like you're setting up your own forum within the forum.

I think you're looking at it the way you want to. Also, I've edited my previous reply to you, please read that as well - it might answer some of your questions.
Quote: I got to tell you, mods aren't going to let you dictate what goes on in your thread any more than you do in any other.

I am doing exactly the opposite of that. I wonder how you failed to see that.

In any case, all of your objections are kind of irrelevant. I'm not breaking any rules. If people like the idea, hopefully they'll try it out. I have repeatedly said I'm not trying to control the conversation, which OPs are notorious for doing(well, not in this case). The original poster does control the conversation to a certain extent, in that he tells you what you'll be talking about in his thread. Well, here, you'll be talking about whatever everyone else is talking about, but the main theme of it is ideas/dilemmas. How is that like the entire forum exactly?

Well no, now that isn't like any part of the forum.  Because OP's don't tell anyone anything about how they may or may not respond in a thread.
Oops, never mind.
(February 1, 2016 at 3:59 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: You keep saying that you're not trying to control the thread, but on nearly every page there are examples of you talking about how you envisioned the thread going. Why say that?

I think the better question is, why not say that?

I think you are getting this whole thing totally wrong. Let me start over.

This thread is meant for discussion/brainstorming various ideas. How or what you talk about is not for me to tell you, although as OP, I do have that privilege(something which is universally accepted elsewhere on the forums).
Now that we've got that handled, my role as OP is over. Now I'm just a regular poster. I post the first question. A discussion begins. Someone makes fun of me. I tell them to stay on topic, as a fellow poster, not as anyone else.
(February 1, 2016 at 3:55 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 1, 2016 at 3:53 am)Losty Wrote: So......you're saying you do not want us to respond to the question in the OP? Wtf do you want then. You made an OP, I have responded to your OP with a genuine question and this is not good enough? Are we all supposed to submit our own things to brainstorm? I don't get it.

You're not supposed to do anything. You can certainly talk about the topic I introduced, but don't expect me to necessarily engage you. Which I didn't do for reasons I already mentioned(but didn't have to), by the way.

If you're not going to address questions or points made to you in reference to your OP, then you have absolutely no business whining about people taking your thread off topic.

If I'm not supposed to do anything, then you have no business accusing me of taking your thread off topic at all.

You're not making sense. You refuse to talk about the discussion you started in the OP, and when I try to talk about it you accuse me of taking your thread off topic. Facepalm
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(February 1, 2016 at 3:59 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(February 1, 2016 at 3:48 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: I think you're looking at it the way you want to. Also, I've edited my previous reply to you, please read that as well - it might answer some of your questions.

I am doing exactly the opposite of that. I wonder how you failed to see that.

In any case, all of your objections are kind of irrelevant. I'm not breaking any rules. If people like the idea, hopefully they'll try it out. I have repeatedly said I'm not trying to control the conversation, which OPs are notorious for doing(well, not in this case). The original poster does control the conversation to a certain extent, in that he tells you what you'll be talking about in his thread. Well, here, you'll be talking about whatever everyone else is talking about, but the main theme of it is ideas/dilemmas. How is that like the entire forum exactly?

Well no, now that isn't like any part of the forum.  Because OP's don't tell anyone anything about how they may or may not respond in a thread.

When did I ever mention the 'how' side of it? I only talked about the 'what'. Why are you misquoting me?
(February 1, 2016 at 4:04 am)Losty Wrote:
(February 1, 2016 at 3:55 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: You're not supposed to do anything. You can certainly talk about the topic I introduced, but don't expect me to necessarily engage you. Which I didn't do for reasons I already mentioned(but didn't have to), by the way.

If you're not going to address questions or points made to you in reference to your OP, then you have absolutely no business whining about people taking your thread off topic.

If I'm not supposed to do anything, then you have no business accusing me of taking your thread off topic at all.

You're not making sense. You refuse to talk about the discussion you started in the OP, and when I try to talk about it you accuse me of taking your thread off topic. Facepalm
I did talk about the topic I raised myself in the OP with others. I refuse to do so with people who attack me, though. Cry me a river.
I'm paraphrasing what I hear you saying. Ever wonder how people take what you say? There you go.
I have not attacked you in this thread. I don't even think I've ever attacked you, but I have hardly even been rude to you in this thread at all. The only thing I have said that could count as rude was about a sippy cup.

Also, my point still stands. If you refuse to discuss with me in this thread, then you don't have any room to accuse me of taking it off topic.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(February 1, 2016 at 4:07 am)Whateverist the White Wrote: I'm paraphrasing what I hear you saying.  Ever wonder how people take what you say?  There you go.

OP's decide what you're going to talk about(which is exactly what I said). Not how you do it. This is an important distinction, one you admitedly overlooked. How is this paraphrasing me and not misquoting? Where do we draw the line? Is english not your first language, or something?