Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 24, 2024, 1:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transexuals
RE: Transexuals
Whoa, where did this thread go?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 19, 2016 at 12:29 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: So you have abandoned your original position, then? And without telling anyone.

The system should say how it already is. Check. Thanks for playing.

I have not abandoned my original position, I still agree that SRS is a "Cosmetic" surgery and should not be covered by insurance. There is nothing wrong with Transsexuals, they have faced a tough choice and have gotten surgery to be who they want to be. I disagree with it be covered by insurance, I'm just a cheap person who bitches about lending a dollar to a co-worker and not getting it back.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

We can dispense with this "cosmetic" thing, though. Your personal opinion makes no difference in the real world. Doctors consider SRS a medically indicated procedure. That's the end of the discussion there, it's really not a subjective definition.

My question still exists, since you've backtracked again: why should my elective ACL Reconstruction, which is medically indicated, be covered, while an elective SRS, which is medically indicated, isn't?

(April 19, 2016 at 12:44 am)Sterben Wrote: I disagree with it be covered by insurance, I'm just a cheap person who bitches about lending a dollar to a co-worker and not getting it back.

Then opt out of your company's insurance plan and buy your own on the marketplace. Otherwise you are lending everybody money when their kid gets braces (cosmetic) or when they decide to have 5 babies, or when they have sex a lot and get a UTI. Likewise, I'm sure they tire of paying for your repetitive head trauma.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 19, 2016 at 12:50 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: We can dispense with this "cosmetic" thing, though. Your personal opinion makes no difference in the real world. Doctors consider SRS a medically indicated procedure. That's the end of the discussion there, it's really not a subjective definition.

My question still exists, since you've backtracked again: why should my elective ACL Reconstruction, which is medically indicated, be covered, while an elective SRS, which is medically indicated, isn't?

(April 19, 2016 at 12:44 am)Sterben Wrote: I disagree with it be covered by insurance, I'm just a cheap person who bitches about lending a dollar to a co-worker and not getting it back.

Then opt out of your company's insurance plan and buy your own on the marketplace. Otherwise you are lending everybody money when their kid gets braces (cosmetic) or when they decide to have 5 babies, or when they have sex a lot and get a UTI. Likewise, I'm sure they tire of paying for your repetitive head trauma.
          Braces are one thing, having five babies is just stupid cause of the population problem we have, having a lot of intercourse is a personal choice; you assume all the risk. I have never seen a therapist, so my "head trauma" is a product of American society. Some doctors consider it a "Medically indicated procedure", what else could be considered in the category? Baldness, a tiny penis, small breasts, ect. To answer your question to the best of my ability, your "ACL Reconstruction" is covered since it's classified as injury, SRS is still has not become a main stream medical issue. As soon as they open the gates up for people to get SRS operations covered by base line insurance, that will cause people to push for breast implants to covered, then penis enlargement, what's next nose jobs and Botox? Where does one draw the line? What's the end all solution, offer the ultimate HMO or PPO that covers everything wrong with you?

(April 19, 2016 at 12:29 am)Maelstrom Wrote: Whoa, where did this thread go?

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, just bring up points related to the transsexual issue.

(April 19, 2016 at 12:13 am)Sterben Wrote:
(April 18, 2016 at 10:23 pm)Losty Wrote: When my psychiatrist prescribes my diazepam would you say my insurance shouldn't cover it because I should choose not to be so fucking panicky?

Again, different story. Your taking a pill, very few pills are denied by insurance. It's fucking wrong how much they charge for pills, when big pharma makes how much money a year?
Your also not asking for a major and expensive operation.

It's not really that different. I'm not asking for pills. My doctor told me I need this medicine. My doctor diagnosed me with an illness and prescribed a medicine. If he diagnosed me with an illness and prescribed a surgery I would expect my insurance to cover it just like they'd cover any other thing my doctor said I need. I don't care how much it costs. I pay for insurance for them to cover the things I need not just for them to cover the things they feel are cheap enough.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(April 19, 2016 at 12:44 am)Sterben Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 12:29 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: So you have abandoned your original position, then? And without telling anyone.

The system should say how it already is. Check. Thanks for playing.

I have not abandoned my original position, I still agree that SRS is a "Cosmetic" surgery and should not be covered by insurance. There is nothing wrong with Transsexuals, they have faced a tough choice and have gotten surgery to be who they want to be. I disagree with it be covered by insurance, I'm just a cheap person who bitches about lending a dollar to a co-worker and not getting it back.

Being transexual isn't a choice. Who the fuck would choose to be trapped in the wrong body and be descriminated against by most of society?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Right, it's not about who they want to be. It's who they are.

That is the biggest thing I learned when I properly looked into this.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 19, 2016 at 1:30 am)Losty Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 12:13 am)Sterben Wrote:        Again, different story. Your taking a pill, very few pills are denied by insurance. It's fucking wrong how much they charge for pills, when big pharma makes how much money a year?
Your also not asking for a major and expensive operation.

It's not really that different. I'm not asking for pills. My doctor told me I need this medicine. My doctor diagnosed me with an illness and prescribed a medicine. If he diagnosed me with an illness and prescribed a surgery I would expect my insurance to cover it just like they'd cover any other thing my doctor said I need. I don't care how much it costs. I pay for insurance for them to cover the things I need not just for them to cover the things they feel are cheap enough.

It's not a matter of cost, a lot doctors are controlled by big pharma. If a doctor tells you something it's not always true, if a HMO or PPO wants to cover something that's up to them. There also within there rights to deny a more costly operation and replace it with it a older and cheaper operation. It does not make it right, I can understand there hesitation to cover SRS. In my last post, they could offer a variety of packages that cover it and all the other operations that are needed afterwards. I'm sure I am not alone on this, main stream insurance should not be forced to cover it, they can get special higher end packages that do cover it.

(April 19, 2016 at 1:20 am)Sterben Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 12:50 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: We can dispense with this "cosmetic" thing, though. Your personal opinion makes no difference in the real world. Doctors consider SRS a medically indicated procedure. That's the end of the discussion there, it's really not a subjective definition.

Braces are one thing, having five babies is just stupid cause of the population problem we have, having a lot of intercourse is a personal choice; you assume all the risk. I have never seen a therapist, so my "head trauma" is a product of American society. Some doctors consider it a "Medically indicated procedure", what else could be considered in the category? Baldness, a tiny penis, small breasts, ect. To answer your question to the best of my ability, your "ACL Reconstruction" is covered since it's classified as injury, SRS is still has not become a main stream medical issue. As soon as they open the gates up for people to get SRS operations covered by base line insurance, that will cause people to push for breast implants to covered, then penis enlargement, what's next nose jobs and Botox? Where does one draw the line? What's the end all solution, offer the ultimate HMO or PPO that covers everything wrong with you?

The thing you don't seem to understand, Sterben, is that your medical "opinion" counts for exactly zero here. All those things that I mentioned are already covered in most mainline medical/dental plans. Your opinion about them means exactly nothing when applied to reality. You keep switching the goalposts here, stick to one position. You seem to think that whatever you think up could be considered a fact, because, what, it makes sense to you? No ACL reconstruction is not an injury, it's one medically indicated treatment for a physical trauma. It's an elective procedure because a person does not necessarily need ACL reconstruction to walk/function. I lived for 3 years without one.

The difference between people who want nose jobs for cosmetic issues and Botox to stop aging is that these people don't suffer from a legitimate and recognized mental dysphoria for which the physician recommended treatment is hormone therapy and SRS.

"Mainstream medicine..." I assume you're read up on the latest in mainstream medicine? A simple google scholar search shows that there are nearly 20,000 papers written on SRS, most in legitimate medical journals.

Reality works like this: if you pay into a plan that covers elective procedures, you are covered for elective procedures. You have yet to come up with a reason why SRS does not fall into this category, other than some hand waving and going back to this "cosmetic" argument, which only shows that you have no idea what Gender Dysphoria is or why SRS is often the recommended procedure for it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---