Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 9:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
RE: Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
This is all irrelevant if it does not take us to the advertised conclusion, and you've stated -yourself- that it does not.  If your argument for god is -actually- the veracity of these "attribute tracings" (which it appears to be) then perhaps you should address that subject primarily and directly, rather than offering these ancillary rationalizations?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:I may have issues with your summarization. How do you define reality?
A reality is something that is real (i.e. something that actually exists, in contrast to only being apparent or being an illusion). In philosophy, reality is defined as something that exists independently of ideas concerning it.
(May 10, 2016 at 9:46 am)TheMuslim Wrote:
A reality is something that is real (i.e. something that actually exists, in contrast to only being apparent or being an illusion). In philosophy, reality is defined as something that exists independently of ideas concerning it.

Well, that's that then.

ROFLOL
You may refer to me as "Oh High One."

You could be nothing more than a computer simulation and the only way to prove or disprove it would be the ability to escape from the program and even that may be part of the simulation.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Reality is the quality of having existence. Do we both agree?
(March 12, 2016 at 2:39 am)TheMuslim Wrote: <snip the religious bullshit>

Looks to me that your "beautiful proof" is nothing more than Aquinas' third way, that of the uncaused causer, wrapped up in a lot of psychobabble. There is very little by way of concrete argument in what you've posted, but as far as I can see what it boils down to is "We exist>We are finite>???>Something must have caused us>That something must be eternal and uncaused>????>Allah exists, praise allah!"

If I am right, and there is very little in what you've given to hang any coherent argument on, here's a good example of some refutations.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(March 12, 2016 at 9:31 am)Cato Wrote: This is nothing more than a repackaged ontological argument and fails for reasons established centuries ago.

Laconic take down, I like.

Home
(March 13, 2016 at 1:56 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 13, 2016 at 1:42 pm)Alex K Wrote: What are you trying to say?

It cannot be the universe. It can only be God by this argument.

Arbitrarily excluding possibilities because they disagree with your conclusions does nothing to validate your argument. In fact they show how threadbare and ridiculous it is.

Home
Quote:A reality is something that is real (i.e. something that actually exists, in contrast to only being apparent or being an illusion).

An illusion - or delusion - is exactly what I think of your god... and all the other gods humanity has invented.  Now what?
Quote:Reality is the quality of having existence. Do we both agree?
Quality? Well, the word reality can be used as both a quality/adjective (e.g. "that has no reality") and as a noun (e.g. "that reality").

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 819 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 22729 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1917 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6781 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3102 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8473 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14209 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 14346 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 44261 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 33795 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0