Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 19, 2024, 3:35 pm

Poll: If you were were having a baby boy tomorrow, would you opt for him to be circumcised?
This poll is closed.
Yes, hoes
20.00%
11 20.00%
Hellz no
80.00%
44 80.00%
Total 55 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
To circumcise or not to circumcise?
RE: To circumcise or not to circumcise?
[Image: Doctor.jpg]
(June 11, 2016 at 1:50 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 1:46 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Novel-as-polemic makes for dreary reading. Aim higher.

I try.  Yet I don't see you attempting to write a novel.  Unless you actually are...

I don't post my excerpts here, normally, but here, here's an excerpt from my WiP:

/derail

(June 11, 2016 at 2:10 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 1:50 am)Maelstrom Wrote: I try.  Yet I don't see you attempting to write a novel.  Unless you actually are...

I don't post my excerpts here, normally, but here, here's an excerpt from my WiP:

See, that's the difference between you and me.

I wouldn't have read past the first line, and I didn't, of your writing due to the fact that it was a cliche.

As a writer, I have evolved past cliches.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 11, 2016 at 2:12 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 2:10 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I don't post my excerpts here, normally, but here, here's an excerpt from my WiP:

See, that's the difference between you and me.

I wouldn't have read past the first line, and I didn't, of your writing due to the fact that it was a cliche.

As a writer, I have evolved past cliches.

Yes, I suppose so ... you've moved into stilted, unbelievable dialogue and cardboard characters. Good job!

PS: Perhaps had you read past the first line, you'd understand why I selected a cliche for the opening. It has to do with character perspective.

There's your tip for the day. Smile

(June 11, 2016 at 2:21 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: There's your tip for the day. Smile

No need to become defensive.

Still won't read past that first line. Good luck with the writing, however.
~ Erin Hunter
If you choose to be a writer, you're practically hanging a kick-me sign on your back.
I commend all who dare to try. It's a very courageous thing to do.
(June 11, 2016 at 2:10 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 1:50 am)Maelstrom Wrote: I try.  Yet I don't see you attempting to write a novel.  Unless you actually are...

/derail

How to get full version?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 11, 2016 at 2:26 am)Little lunch Wrote: If you choose to be a writer, you're practically hanging a kick-me sign on your back.
I commend all who dare to try. It's a very courageous thing to do.

I know that I am not the world's greatest writer, and I am not striving for that title.

I do agree with you, however.

Being an artist, in general, is tough. Everyone considers themselves critics whether they know about that which they are speaking or not.

Though to be honest, I think classic literature is crap and boring, the kind of stuff to put me to sleep faster than an alcoholic beverage.

The problem, I believe, is that everyone has an opinion.

In school, what annoyed me the most was that the teachers wanted me to have an opinion on what I had just read.

I pleased them and informed them of what they wanted to hear.

However, I have no right whatsoever to properly interpret what the writer meant to convey. I was not the one who wrote it.

I read for entertainment, to momentarily escape reality, not to misinterpret the writer.

If writing well enough means that others might want a class full of silly teenagers to interpret my writing, then I don't want that poppycock.

I never want any of my writing to be destroyed by Hollywood, either.

I just want to write. A true writer just writes.
~ Erin Hunter
My wife is having a daughter, so no peen to circuncise, but If it was a son I would only do it for medical reasons. Claiming it makes it more clean os an argument from lazyness.
(June 11, 2016 at 2:33 am)Losty Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 2:10 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I don't post my excerpts here, normally, but here, here's an excerpt from my WiP:

/derail

How to get full version?

It's not "full" yet, ma'am -- a Wip is a "work in progress.".

(June 11, 2016 at 2:23 am)Maelstrom Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 2:21 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: There's your tip for the day. Smile

No need to become defensive.

Still won't read past that first line.  Good luck with the writing, however.

Hardly defensive. Given the eamples i've read of your writing, I don't hold your opinion in high esteem, and feel no need to defend that chapter, or any of my work, from your critique ... I just don't care for self-aggrandizing folk who try to assert they've gone "beyond" me and then backpedal when called on it. But hey, if it helps you feel better, have at it. I suppose.

As far as how much you've read, I don't really care. I wasn't seeking your readership or your opinion, only answering your challenge that I'd never posted any of my own work.