Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 10:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Homeless Shake
RE: The Homeless Shake
I frequently have conversations with homeless people. I usually offer a hug rather than a handshake. They are human beings.
(June 30, 2016 at 5:52 am)RozKek Wrote: Ahem. The title sounds like poetry, yes. Sorry to dissapoint but it's rather a simple question.

If a random homeless persom approached you in public started a  conversatoon with you, reached his/her hand out and wanted to shake hands, would you shake his/her hand?

I think it would depend on how dirty he/she might be. I work in the city and once encountered a man who had worms on his shoulders and collar. I spoke with him, but also kept distance between us.

However, I am a people-pleaser, in that I prefer to make people feel good or better whenever possible. I think I might feel uncomfortable refusing to shake hands, as I would not want to offend.

I am a compulsive hand-washer though. And it would only be one hand. That's not to say I am especially squeamish. I actually unclogged a toilet by hand once to prevent it from overflowing onto the floor. That was gross. It wasn't even my toilet. But, you know . . . you gotta to do what you gotta to do

It's hard to say what I might do. Hmm, I'm rambling now.
"My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it."

Ursula K. Le Guin
My experiences with the ones I see at 12 Steppers clouds how I view the ones on the street. I tend to assume all the ones on the street have substance problems and I'm sure they don't all have that problem.

I strongly prefer the ones at 12 Steppers, many run well with their efforts in sobriety, the ones that have relapses then return I am especially impressed with.

Except 'Alan'. Alan is a twit. People anywhere and everywhere can be twits, the homeless folks I encounter don't actually seem to be over represented in the 'twit' category.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 30, 2016 at 9:33 am)Little lunch Wrote: I like the bowing idea Gawdzilla.
It seems like a very good solution without being rude.

And they're not sure if you have a katana secreted somewhere...
(June 30, 2016 at 2:45 pm)Spirian Wrote: I frequently have conversations with homeless people. I usually offer a hug rather than a handshake. They are human beings.

Yeah, but every psycho killer that ever lived was a human being too.  Dodgy
So I assume there is no risk to it now? Good to know! Fyi, guys. I'm not a bad person, I just did wrong this time. I did not know it whether it was safe, didn't know how to react.
Sure...why the hell not? I carry Purell in my purse.
As a health care professional who's had needlestick injuries and had to perform CPR with no mask, shaking hands seems like a stroll in the park.

I would shake, and then refrain from touching my mucous membranes until I could wash/sanitize my hands; Which I actually do after I shake anyone's hand, come to think of it.
(June 30, 2016 at 6:49 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote:
(June 30, 2016 at 2:45 pm)Spirian Wrote: I frequently have conversations with homeless people. I usually offer a hug rather than a handshake. They are human beings.

Yeah, but every psycho killer that ever lived was a human being too.  Dodgy

Most psycho killers are a bit to savvy to become homeless. I'll keep playing the odds  Wink
(June 30, 2016 at 6:56 pm)RozKek Wrote: So I assume there is no risk to it now? Good to know! Fyi, guys. I'm not a bad person, I just did wrong this time. I did not know it whether it was safe, didn't know how to react.

I don't think you really did wrong or anything like that. I mean most people don't even stop to have conversations with the homeless. They are too busy leading their boring white people lives. There are also too many homeless who are just trying to hustle people all the time. So I don't think there's anything really wrong with walking on by too.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I always stop, give some money if I can and talk to the homeless when around the city. Some of them are the nicest folk you will ever meet. Those people who deliberately avoid and treat them like they aren't human beings make my blood boil.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm organizing a donation drive for the unsheltered homeless in my area Jackalope 38 3713 February 17, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Homeless Veteran: My Life Now BlackSwordsman 10 1924 June 7, 2014 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Black_Pegasus