Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 10:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just bought, wait for it, a BLU RAY disc?????
RE: I just bought, wait for it, a BLU RAY disc?????
(August 10, 2016 at 5:43 am)Banjo Wrote: I bet you never expected that word. Probably expected "back in time" But that is too Michael J Fox) and bought a movie I love.

I actually expected that you bought blu ray of Whiplash
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 11, 2016 at 5:36 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(August 11, 2016 at 5:24 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: That is how you produce excellence. Either with pressure from within, or, if you're not able to do it yourself then pressure from outside is required.

At least, that's my opinion, no need to imply I'm stupid or something. [...]

I wasn't implying you were stupid - I was simply saying you don't know what you're talking about. "Pressure from the outside" does in no way need to be in the form of abuse. That's just something bad, sadistic teachers tell gullible kids. And while atmosphere of aggression and threats of violence may be somewhat useful during sport, or military training - that's not how people are taught music, or art. Unless they're being abused, because they're teacher is a psycho hack.

That movie wasn't supposed to portray things literally as they are, it was meant more as a metaphor. That's how art works. It's no one's fault you took it literally.
Double post.
(August 11, 2016 at 6:37 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: That movie wasn't supposed to portray things literally as they are, it was meant more as a metaphor. That's how art works. It's no one's fault you took it literally.

A metaphor for what?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(August 11, 2016 at 6:42 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(August 11, 2016 at 6:37 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: That movie wasn't supposed to portray things literally as they are, it was meant more as a metaphor. That's how art works. It's no one's fault you took it literally.

A metaphor for what?

For the kind of outside pressure needed to instill excellence in a person.
(August 11, 2016 at 6:43 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(August 11, 2016 at 6:42 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: A metaphor for what?

For the kind of outside pressure needed to instill excellence in a person.

LOL... I don't think you've quite grasped the meaning of the word "metaphor". The movie deals literally with "the kind of outside pressure needed to instill excellence in a person" (if that's how you want to put it) - in this case in a particular setting, that of a musical conservatory. There's no need for metaphors. Misrepresenting the world being referenced and circumstances of the story is not a metaphor - it's just bad writing.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(August 11, 2016 at 7:02 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(August 11, 2016 at 6:43 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: For the kind of outside pressure needed to instill excellence in a person.

LOL... I don't think you've quite grasped the meaning of the word "metaphor". The movie deals literally with "the kind of outside pressure needed to instill excellence in a person" (if that's how you want to put it) - in this case in a particular setting, that of a musical conservatory. There's no need for metaphors. Misrepresenting the world being referenced and circumstances of the story is not a metaphor - it's just bad writing.

a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.

That's what a metaphor is. Like I already said, you are taking it too literally. The movie simply represented what that struggle is like by exagerating some parts of it, like the teacher's violent behaviour.
(August 11, 2016 at 7:15 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.

That's what a metaphor is. Like I already said, you are taking it too literally. The movie simply represented what that struggle is like by exagerating some parts of it, like the teacher's violent behaviour.

Which is it then - is metaphor "a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract", or is it exaggeration?

Sure - there is "exaggeration" in the movie (or in other words - sh*t that doesn't really happen), as I pointed out in my first post in this thread. But it's not a metaphor - it's just dumbing down the story, so that people with no interest in subtleties of music can comprehend it and relate to it. There's plenty of struggle in the world of musical academy - there's no need to put a high-school coach into it. And if the film-makers didn't want to make a movie about musicians - then they should have made a movie about something else. Like football jocks, or something.
(August 11, 2016 at 4:13 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: I loved Whiplash, and I completely agree with the teacher's approach. That is how you produce excellence. That's the part no one tells you, and this film did. The people that disagree simply aren't excellent at what they do.

As for that Mark Ruffallo flick, didn't see it, but Ruffalo is an amazing, amazing actor, so kudos.

Fletcher's method didn't work. Hell, his method drove one of his students to kill themselves. But he doesn't care, he's just looking for the next great musician. The only reason this works on Neiman is because the kid is a borderline sociopath. He was Fletcher's perfect match.

I love Whiplash.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(August 11, 2016 at 8:05 am)Aegon Wrote:
(August 11, 2016 at 4:13 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: I loved Whiplash, and I completely agree with the teacher's approach. That is how you produce excellence. That's the part no one tells you, and this film did. The people that disagree simply aren't excellent at what they do.

As for that Mark Ruffallo flick, didn't see it, but Ruffalo is an amazing, amazing actor, so kudos.

Fletcher's method didn't work. Hell, his method drove one of his students to kill themselves. But he doesn't care, he's just looking for the next great musician. The only reason this works on Neiman is because the kid is a borderline sociopath. He was Fletcher's perfect match.

I love Whiplash.

That's a fair point. It was a great movie, nevertheless.

I think, generally, musicians will obviously dislike it. It's very hard to please them in this area, but the film wasn't really about music, I don't think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wait, what?!! Questions about A Clash of Kings BrokenQuill92 2 621 March 14, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Pixel Art: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Number One Ryantology 3 1870 December 18, 2014 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Cato
  The wait BrokenQuill92 16 2093 June 21, 2014 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  So I bought a guitar popeyespappy 17 4675 April 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: ManMachine