Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 5:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milwalkee riots
RE: Milwalkee riots
No matter what you say, they will keep insisting that you're racist.
(August 18, 2016 at 5:17 pm)RobertE Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 5:03 pm)A Theist Wrote: I've been here 6 years longer than you have. These kinds of discussions and disagreements have been going on since I joined the forum in 2009. When you first joined last year didn't you notice the different pages, like "Politics" and "News and Current Events"?  That should have been a dead give away that the forum discusses a wide variety of topics other than atheism.
No. It's just plain whining. It's you and some of the others personally whining about the discussion. You can't handle disagreement. The large majority of you on the left have been indoctrinated to think that any disagreement with your racial views makes someone a racist. Nothing racist has been said. That's just the way you've been conditioned to think.

The perception's wrong. That person, obviously, can't handle disagreement. Disagreeing with BLM, or discussing personal responsibility and self improvement vs poverty, income inequality, doesn't mean someone's a racist.

I did say that it was going to be my last message but I felt that the bolded part was too important to ignore. Indeed, we have all been conditioned to think, some are conditioned to think racist, others are conditioned not to be racist, and there are those who don't care, who are not conditioned, but will give a point of view regardless as to whether it is right or wrong. However, on this forum, there are those who are conditioned to think "that person is racist", at the slightest hint, and they will go as far as taking a point out of context and turning it into a racial issue. We are conditioned by the groups we frequent, we are conditioned by our fiends, our politics professors (a majority are left-wing by nature and can be subjective rather than objective), the media and forums we frequent. So, to cut a long story short, if you disagree only once on this issue (perhaps because we have become too sensitive), then you will be labeled a racist and from that point on, you can say whatever you like, you will know that from whatever you say afterwards, it will simply fall on deaf ears. Suffice to say, I am not racist, I just don't conform to societies standards like sheep. Most atheists might as well join a religion for what it is worth, since they will believe all the hype about everything.

I wouldn't let it bother me. I've been listening to their senseless dribble for seven years now. I'm still here.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(August 18, 2016 at 5:03 pm)A Theist Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 9:25 am)Thena323 Wrote:

Quote:The only reason I'm here is because I happened to join during a period when this was atheist discussion forum.
I've been here 6 years longer than you have. These kinds of discussions and disagreements have been going on since I joined the forum in 2009. When you first joined last year didn't you notice the different pages, like "Politics" and "News and Current Events"?  That should have been a dead give away that the forum discusses a wide variety of topics other than atheism.

What is it that you tools aren't getting about that about the context of that statement? I understand and have always understood that there are many subforums on AF that aren't related to atheism. I was referring to a perception regarding the tone.

Seriously. I'm not explaining this again.

Quote:No. It's just plain whining. It's you and some of the others personally whining about the discussion. You can't handle disagreement. The large majority of you on the left have been indoctrinated to think that any disagreement with your racial views makes someone a racist. Nothing racist has been said. That's just the way you've been conditioned to think.

Wrong again, you poor thing. You're blinded by the your own ridiculous bias which mandates you charge anyone responding to your inane, stupid comments as an unabashed liberal or SJW. You fuckwads want the freedom to spout whatever crap you like , without people responding with anything other than an "Atta boy!" Freedom works both ways. 

Deal with it.

Quote:Thena wrote
I'm simply sharing my thoughts, as to how a member (particularly a new one) could be left with perception that this forum is fairly hostile.

Quote:The perception's wrong. That person, obviously, can't handle disagreement. Disagreeing with BLM, or discussing personal responsibility and self improvement vs poverty, income inequality, doesn't mean someone's a racist.

I've already stated that the perception is wrong..though, not for the predictable, recycled, bullshit reason you're insisting it is.
(August 18, 2016 at 5:22 pm)RobertE Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 5:14 pm)Thena323 Wrote: That's wonderful, dear. 

I suppose I should accept your position as the ultimate authority in these matters, then. After all, you've said you are; so, it must be true. Clearly you've been briefed on the entirety of my life and the lives of everyone on these forums, unbeknownst to any anyone's knowledge. 
Besides, I can't even imagine what it must be like to be mocked for they way I hold a teacup. That must have been so painful for you. Sad
I'm actually too ashamed to even discuss profiling or police brutality, now.

Have a nice evening as well, RobertE Lee. Wink

Quote: Clearly you've been briefed on the entirety of my life

You called me a racist without knowing me. Does it matter what colour skin I have, I am an immigrant. I wasn't born here. How about you Thena, you born in the US of A?

I think you're a racist because because of the words you've chosen to post. I don't care if you're an immigrant or not; that has little to no bearing on one's capacity for fear, general disdain, or feelings of smug superiority.

Frankly, it's none of you business where I was born. More importantly, it's not relevant to the conversation at hand.
I reject your claim that your immigrant status somehow makes you an authority on issues surrounding the OP.

Sorry.
(August 18, 2016 at 3:15 pm)RobertE Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 3:03 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: You're still ignoring the fact that the police didn't have his genealogy at hand, and because Hispanics can and do look black oftentimes, they reacted on the basis of stereotype hather than actual ethnicity.

Hopefully you won't continue to ignore that point.

So, if I am reading your message correctly, what you are trying to say that, if he had been someone who looks like Zimmerman (who is hispanic by all accounts), the police wouldn't have shot him if he had a gun, regardless if he had pointed one to their head. However, it he had been black, then he would have been shot, no questions asked?

No, Latinos suffer higher rates of police violence too. I'm saying that because he appeared black he was perhaps treated as such.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

(August 18, 2016 at 5:22 pm)RobertE Wrote: You called me a racist without knowing me. Does it matter what colour skin I have, I am an immigrant. I wasn't born here. How about you Thena, you born in the US of A?

When you're trying to extrapolate how racial inequality works based on your own experience, yes, yes it does. Why would you think it wouldn't?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 18, 2016 at 5:22 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: No matter what you say, they will keep insisting that you're racist.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck ...

What you say matters. But you, and RobertE, don't know jack-shit about the structural racism in America, to judge from your posts, but still parrot the same lines as racists here do.

As a white American member of a multiracial family, I'll never know what racism feels like, but I goddamned well know what it sounds like.

If you're not racist, perhaps you could drop the talking-points approach to a problem you know only from reportage and, you know, listen to those who live with it daily ... before you chase them off, as you have one already.

BQ takes lots breaks; I'm sure she'll be back.
If not, I'll go straight to her "hood" and make her log in...show her some goddamned black-on-black crime.

*kidding* Tongue
Thena does haz a silly Tongue
I think the reasons there seems to be more of this kind of thing is the same reasons we have Trump as a real presidential candidate. There has been a resistant swing of the pendulum. Whenever a group of privileged people lose even an iota of that privilege, it can feel like opression. Just like how Christian's truly feel oppressed, and feel there is a war on Christmas. It's not an easy transition, and can cause a lot of reflexive animosity.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Oliver on riots and looting. Brian37 31 3241 June 9, 2020 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  Hamburg G20 summit riots Alex K 1 446 July 7, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus