Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 9:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Circumcision thread
RE: Another Circumcision thread
Seems that those who are circumcised like it, and those who aren't don't want it done - myself included, I don't want anything sharp near that part of my body.
I would be interested to know if any adults have volunteered for circumcision (for non medical reasons) and why, or anyone been circumcised and wish they hadn't been.

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(October 9, 2016 at 1:17 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(October 8, 2016 at 10:23 pm)Irrational Wrote: Again, abortion is a complicated matter. Even if we grant that fetuses are persons and/or have rights, abortion is not like circumcision where only the child is really affected by the decision of circumcision and no actual dilemma (i.e. conflict of rights) exists.

My son died at 23 weeks gestation. I can assure you he is/was a person.

I'm so sorry.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(October 9, 2016 at 12:29 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(October 8, 2016 at 9:38 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Not listening.
Not listening.
Don't be a baby

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la
(October 9, 2016 at 12:25 pm)pgrimes15 Wrote: Seems that those who are circumcised like it, and those who aren't don't want it done - myself included, I don't want anything sharp near that part of my body.
I would be interested to know if any adults have volunteered for circumcision (for non medical reasons) and why, or anyone been circumcised and wish they hadn't been.

Grimesy

As those of the unclean, or perhaps one whos mom taught to pull the sleeve and clean properly the family jewels, nothing sharp will be allowed near those parts.
I would prefer an arrow to the knee.
(October 9, 2016 at 12:52 am)Aroura Wrote:
(October 8, 2016 at 9:42 pm)Whateverist Wrote: For the record I'd never have a son circumcised.  Didn't even like snipping Smokey's nuts.  

But in a world in which people are horrified by abortion but tolerate it in a civilized way, I'm willing to allow that the shoe may occasionally have to be on the other foot.
Abortion is a terrible thing we allow because the consequences of restricting it are worse.

There are no terrible consequences to leaving a kidsmall sex organs intact. Though, initially circumcision practices began to prevent what less knowledgable folk though was disease caused by masterbation and premarital sex, a fair trade if true. Turns out it wasn't true. So harm is done for no real personal or societal benefit. That is the real argument being made.

Abortion is clearly harmful, no one argues that it isnt, but as a society we have judged the benefits to be greater than the harm.

In short, apples and oranges.

And as someone who has 'suffered' standard, Murican male genital mutilation .. it isn't so bad.  I'm sure I didn't enjoy it when it happened but it doesn't bother me now and I've suffered no disappointment in its use in more than fifty years of sexual sport and practice.  So I still maintain that male circumcision is an area where the law can reasonably permit tribal preferences to prevail.  I'm not telling the jews they can't call in the mohel to initiate their newborn son and I'm not telling Cath-y she is wrong to do it to her male child if that is what she and her husband choose.  I may wince, but I don't think how I feel about it is anything which should deter them from living life on their own terms.
It took literally like half a minute to teach me about that. And more to the point, I had already figured it out by myself.

Wow. So hard to clean your dick. Better chop it off instead.
(October 9, 2016 at 12:25 pm)pgrimes15 Wrote: Seems that those who are circumcised like it, and those who aren't don't want it done - myself included, I don't want anything sharp near that part of my body.

Grimesy

However, some who were circumcised in infancy in fact do not like that they were.

By the way, of course, those who consented to be circumcised as adults are likely not to have an emotional problem with circumcision (unless things didn't go the way they expected), but that's just due to self-selection and possibly rationalization.
(October 9, 2016 at 2:37 am)Rhythm Wrote: You can consider them that, if you like...so could I...but our considering them persons doesn't make them persons.  It just means we have opinions, like everyone else.  Is a fertilized egg a person, day one?  It will also become a human..maybe.

Not related to you, but, I wonder why a person...who thinks a fetus is a person..would not take a knife to that person in the womb, but as soon as they fall out... start hacking them up to serve a fetish?

All I know is a person I care about was carrying a child which died before birth.  Don't really give a fuck what anyone else wants to call what she was carrying.  The phrase "carrying a child" in standard usage fits to a T.
(October 9, 2016 at 3:24 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Personhood may be a legal term, that's not all it is, though. Personhood may also be used outside of its legal connotation to be discussed as an idea, whether casually or philosophically.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the nature of the English language. Few words avoid multiple usage. No one is forbidden any other usage just because it fails to apply as a legal term.