Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quick word on "Overwhelmingly Negative Influences"
RE: A quick word on "Overwhelmingly Negative Influences"
(October 20, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(October 20, 2016 at 10:20 pm)Shell B Wrote: Ugh, you're being willfully obtuse. He technically owns it. That means nothing in practice here. He has no additional powers over admins. He could I guess just stop paying the bills and give y'all the finger, but that has nothing to do with this situation.

I'm sure his voice is just one amongst many, given no special accord.

Seriously: it's not. As ex staff, I can honestly say it is run as a democracy. Every little thing- reports, rule-changes, rule alterations, etc.- is voted on for the good of the forum by regular forum members who have been picked by other regular forum members who were picked by... you get where I'm going.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(October 20, 2016 at 10:07 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(October 20, 2016 at 10:02 pm)Losty Wrote: What you mean Drich? Lol Big Grin

Yep, is there someone else people want gone?

I don't think so I was just being silly because you said he who must not be called out Tongue
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
People stick up for him and stand by him because he does the sometimes thankless job of keeping this heap running, not because he's a dictator. He deals with the type of bullshit being slung at him here with barely a whisper of complaint. He spends hours of time cleaning up after people who can't handle being an adult on the Internet. He does this all calmly, kindly and with more consideration than people like Thump deserve. Ex-staff and friends know this, so don't think you'll get far ripping into him around this joint. The only power he has is that people like him and are grateful to him. I'm not sure you'll find people are as willing to defend you against him. Good luck, though.
Leave, stay as a walking advert for atheism, or get whisked away to heaven by a merciful (to us) God, I don't care. That's my position on Drich and those like him. So for the record I'm not calling for him to be banned. I think anything else... running away or pushing away... just gives away your power - people can only hurt you if you let them. Better just to ignore and/or disengage... even if it means swallowing your pride and letting them have the last word. That's my take.
(October 20, 2016 at 10:50 pm)Shell B Wrote: People stick up for him and stand by him because he does the sometimes thankless job of keeping this heap running, not because he's a dictator. He deals with the type of bullshit being slung at him here with barely a whisper of complaint. He spends hours of time cleaning up after people who can't handle being an adult on the Internet. He does this all calmly, kindly and with more consideration than people like Thump deserve. Ex-staff and friends know this, so don't think you'll get far ripping into him around this joint. The only power he has is that people like him and are grateful to him. I'm not sure you'll find people are as willing to defend you against him. Good luck, though.

https://youtu.be/dVobO9rLTgI

Ave!
(October 20, 2016 at 10:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: https://youtu.be/dVobO9rLTgI

Ave!

That looks like an ancient gay bathing club.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 20, 2016 at 10:33 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(October 20, 2016 at 10:17 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: You don't own it? You don't collect the donations? You don't pay the bills?

Sure, I "own" it in the sense that my name is tied to the domain and the hosting, donations come to an account I control, and I pay for everything out of that account.

However this forum has always been run by staff as a democracy, with each staff member voting on whether or not rule violations occur. The staff come from the community, they aren't hand picked by me. I get a vote the same as every other staff member. I don't surround myself with "yes" men. I've been outvoted countless times.

This whole "Tib owns the forum and he's basically some secret dictator and he calls all the shots" argument comes up every time someone disagrees with how we do things, and quite honestly I'm tired of it.

Well it's a good thing I never said that, then. I don't think you call all the shots -- but I know if you say something about how you want the forum run, the Staff will pay attention. Pretending that isn't the case does you no favors.

You clearly don't want to listen, so I'll leave off. You don't need badgering, and I don't need bullshit.

(October 20, 2016 at 10:45 pm)The_Empress Wrote:
(October 20, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm sure his voice is just one amongst many, given no special accord.

Seriously: it's not. As ex staff, I can honestly say it is run as a democracy. Every little thing- reports, rule-changes, rule alterations, etc.- is voted on for the good of the forum by regular forum members who have been picked by other regular forum members who were picked by... you get where I'm going.

I'll have to take your word for it.

(October 20, 2016 at 10:42 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yep.  I used to have a little fun by ribbing him about being the dictator he's not, lol.

I knew I saved this for a reason

[Image: 7IlagUO.jpg]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Pretty sure the staff can express their own opinions about how the forum should be run without me telling them what to think, thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Quick Update Tiberius 4 1920 January 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious