Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 3:55 am

Poll: Are you an atheist and also bisexual?
This poll is closed.
Yes
25.00%
13 25.00%
No
75.00%
39 75.00%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism & Bisexuality
RE: Atheism & Bisexuality
(April 21, 2009 at 3:41 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(April 20, 2009 at 11:21 am)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: I'm a little late on the argument, but I think on some level, we are all bisexual. I just think alot of people lie to themselves, lol.

Yeah, I think that's probably true and that sexuality is, in part at least, socially conditioned. That's' not me questioning that I'm straight but I think it likely that there are others who are "more straight" than me and others who are less but I nevertheless fit into the general category of straight ... ultimately, whilst I can apprecaite and admire an man's looks/image, there's nothing much I find sexually attractive about men (and I can't abide the camp ones regardless of whether they are gay or not ... I just find them irritating).

Kyu

Well I'm entirely straight because I'm not remotely attracted to men.

Also, for example, if I'm in a room without any women at all - I wanna see some nice looking women. Get sick of looking at all the men lol. I.e.: I like girls. I'm not attracted to males, only females.
(April 21, 2009 at 2:10 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I swear, if I wasn't an skeptic I'd start believing in Karma. I used to run a bulleting board for transsexuals in the Netherlands. Your story is one I've read probably dozens of times. It is saddening to know that so many transsexuals are not coming forward out of fear and shame. I also know that because of the hormonal and emotional rollercoaster ride transsexuals get into as they go into transition the suicide rate is very high. I've lost some friends from the transsexual community to suicide. All the more reason to make sure transsexuals get the best care possible in their journey.
Just curious, but are you a transsexual leo?
(April 21, 2009 at 9:39 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(April 21, 2009 at 2:10 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I swear, if I wasn't an skeptic I'd start believing in Karma. I used to run a bulleting board for transsexuals in the Netherlands. Your story is one I've read probably dozens of times. It is saddening to know that so many transsexuals are not coming forward out of fear and shame. I also know that because of the hormonal and emotional rollercoaster ride transsexuals get into as they go into transition the suicide rate is very high. I've lost some friends from the transsexual community to suicide. All the more reason to make sure transsexuals get the best care possible in their journey.
Just curious, but are you a transsexual leo?

Understandable question, but no I am not. I just happened to get involved with a girl who is a transsexual and therefore met more transsexuals.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(April 21, 2009 at 7:41 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Well I'm entirely straight because I'm not remotely attracted to men.

Also, for example, if I'm in a room without any women at all - I wanna see some nice looking women. Get sick of looking at all the men lol. I.e.: I like girls. I'm not attracted to males, only females.

I would only be attracted to a room full of men if there was free beer there (some kind of decent real ale of course).

My problem with women (not all women of course) is some of the interests they have, in my experience (and maybe it's just because the friends I have are the ones I've chosen) men don't tend to gossip, don't tend to be over-interested in reality TV or soaps, tend to talk about things that I can relate to.

I suppose ultimately I prefer mixed company.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Firstly, talking percentages I consider myself to be 95% - 98% male orientated. I can look at another man and decide if he is good looking, but I don't have any sexual attraction towards men. I have thought about this subject deeply, but it did not take me long to decide.

Having said that,

1. Why is it that alot of gay men are unhappy with being gay and are tormented by the choices they have made? Most will say it is not a choice made it is biological.

2. Is there evidence to suggest men and women are 'born' gay? In a biological sense.

3. Is it just a psychlogical phenomenon?

4. Why are so many people ( not all ) confused about sexuality in today's society?

5. Why are so called 'straight' men scared of gay people?

6. Is there more to this phenomenon than meets the eye?

7. Does being gay coincide with natual environment? Are there other gay animals in the natural world outside of human beings?

8. Does it relly matter what orientation people are?

9. Do gay people have a negative or positive impact on society?

10. Does Atheism & Bisexuality have anything in common?
(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: Firstly, talking percentages I consider myself to be 95% - 98% male orientated. I can look at another man and decide if he is good looking, but I don't have any sexual attraction towards men. I have thought about this subject deeply, but it did not take me long to decide.

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 1. Why is it that alot of gay men are unhappy with being gay and are tormented by the choices they have made? Most will say it is not a choice made it is biological.

Because the social environment they live in has a serious problem with gay people, making them social outcasts. That is not an easy thing to deal with.

Quote:2. Is there evidence to suggest men and women are 'born' gay? In a biological sense.

Scientific researchers specializing in human sexuality have shown that homosexuality is genetic (and that people are born gay). I am unaware of any study that has ever suggested that sexual orientation is a choice.

Scientific research from October 2004 that was replicated in June 2008 stated that scientists have found that women tend to have more children when they inherit the same genetic factors linked to homosexuality in men. This fertility boost more than compensates for the lack of offspring fathered by gay men, and keeps the “gay” genetic factors in circulation. A lead researcher said "You have all this antagonism against homosexuality because they say it's against nature because it doesn't lead to reproduction. We found out this is not true because homosexuality is just one of the consequences of strategies for making females more fecund" and that their findings offered "a solution to the Darwinian paradox and an explanation of why natural selection does not progressively eliminate homosexuals."

A 2005 study reported genetic scans showing a clustering of the same genetic pattern among gay men on three chromosomes - chromosomes 7, 8, and 10. The regions on chromosome 7 and 8 were associated with male sexual orientation regardless of whether the man got them from his mother or father. The regions on chromosome 10 were only associated with male sexual orientation if they were inherited from the mother.

A study published in Human Genetics in February 2006 examined X chromosome inactivation in mothers of gay sons and mothers whose sons were not gay. Researchers found extreme differences between women who had gay sons and women who did not.

A study from 2006 said that researchers have known for years that a man's likelihood of being gay rises with the number of older biological brothers, but the new study found that the so-called "fraternal birth order effect" persists even if gay men were raised away from their biological families & that "the research suggests that the development of sexual orientation is influenced before birth."

Sources:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6519
http://www.livescience.com/health/080617...ality.html
http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/n...e-gay-gene
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6612
http://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/tb/3641

Quote:3. Is it just a psychlogical phenomenon?

No.

Quote:4. Why are so many people ( not all ) confused about sexuality in today's society?

What do you mean?

Quote:5. Why are so called 'straight' men scared of gay people?

Not all, some are. Why? Insecurity, social stigma, who knows.

Quote:6. Is there more to this phenomenon than meets the eye?

I don't know, I doubt it.

Quote:7. Does being gay coincide with natual environment? Are there other gay animals in the natural world outside of human beings?

Yes, and there have been studies about the homosexual behaviour in animals both in the wild and in captivity. Most studies have shown however that while animals do engage in homosexual activities in the wild, they do not tend to prefer sex with the same gender only but do want to mate with another gender when the opportunity occurs.

Quote:8. Does it relly matter what orientation people are?

Not to me. I can't speak for others.

Quote:9. Do gay people have a negative or positive impact on society?

That depends on what they do, not what they are.

Quote:10. Does Atheism & Bisexuality have anything in common?

Besides having a stigma from society? Not to my knowledge.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Interesting thank you.

Can it then be said that gay people are defective?

No offence intended, although I am sure this question must offend some people. Sorry.

4. There seems to be alot of confusion about sexual orientation. I have found through conversation that alot of men and women spend alot of thinking about whether they are gay or not. Once again, it is only through my own research and introspection.
(April 22, 2009 at 8:04 am)g-mark Wrote: Can it then be said that gay people are defective?

Defective in what way?

Quote:4. There seems to be alot of confusion about sexual orientation. I have found through conversation that alot of men and women spend alot of thinking about whether they are gay or not. Once again, it is only through my own research and introspection.

Well for me my bisexuality became very apparent, there wasn't much thinking involved. Not with my head anyway. Smile

The truth it is very hard to determine for some people where their sexual preferences lie because it is not that black and white for everyone. For me it was quite easy. I prefer women over men, but have had sexual relationships with men in the past that I enjoyed and might have them again if the situation occurs.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 1. Why is it that alot of gay men are unhappy with being gay and are tormented by the choices they have made? Most will say it is not a choice made it is biological.

Whilst Leo's reasoning seems good I wonder who says they are?

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 2. Is there evidence to suggest men and women are 'born' gay? In a biological sense.

I believe there is some evidence to suggest it and in a TV program (not the greatest source I admit) they cited research which suggests that the more male children are born into a family the more gay they tend to be. I have absolutely no idea if that is true.

I see Leo has answered this quite comprehensively already.

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 3. Is it just a psychlogical phenomenon?

I would suggest not though there may be some culture influence.

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 4. Why are so many people ( not all ) confused about sexuality in today's society?

Who says they are?

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 5. Why are so called 'straight' men scared of gay people?

Are they? Perhaps Quentin Crisp had the answer when he suggested (?) that the reason macho men beat on gays is because they are trying to prove they are not in any way.

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 6. Is there more to this phenomenon than meets the eye?

Not idea, what makes you think there might be?

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 7. Does being gay coincide with natual environment? Are there other gay animals in the natural world outside of human beings?

Apparently sexuality varies as much in other animals as it does in humans.

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 8. Does it relly matter what orientation people are?

IMO no.

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 9. Do gay people have a negative or positive impact on society?

I'd suggest they have as much of an impact on society as the rest of us, possibly more because society is (or was) largely geared towards heterosexuality so gay positive changes will be more noticeable.

(April 22, 2009 at 7:20 am)g-mark Wrote: 10. Does Atheism & Bisexuality have anything in common?

Only, I suspect, in the sense that education leads towards more liberal attitudes and liberal attitudes lead to greater tolerance which is something that both atheists and gays need to be open about what they are.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(April 22, 2009 at 4:27 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(April 21, 2009 at 7:41 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Well I'm entirely straight because I'm not remotely attracted to men.

I would only be attracted to a room full of men if there was free beer there (some kind of decent real ale of course).

My problem with women (not all women of course) is some of the interests they have, in my experience (and maybe it's just because the friends I have are the ones I've chosen) men don't tend to gossip, don't tend to be over-interested in reality TV or soaps, tend to talk about things that I can relate to.

I suppose ultimately I prefer mixed company.

Kyu

However I wish men talked more...

Cos I tend to out-talk girls lol - either that or I shut up altogether.

It's all or nothing for me really when it comes to conversation (regardless of the person I am talking to's gender).