Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 24, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogue One
RE: Rogue One
(December 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(December 30, 2016 at 1:20 pm)Jehanne Wrote: The crawler implies, clearly, that it was "long, long ago" in a galaxy "far, far away", and so, clearly, it takes place in this Universe with its (our) universal constants.

Well... maybe it's so far away that it's in a part of the multiverse with slightly different laws of physics Smile

But I think it is always possible to attribute feats which seemingly contradict established physics to still undiscovered new physical phenomena which allow exceptions and loopholes.

It's a part of universe where space if filled with not just dark Energy, but a type of ether that allows sound to propagate and be heard by the ear.
(December 30, 2016 at 1:20 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 30, 2016 at 12:28 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Does it?  It's essentially a swords-and-sorcery fantasy story.  This is a universe where - essentially - magic is a real thing.  Our physics obviously do not universally apply in the SW universe.

The crawler implies, clearly, that it was "long, long ago" in a galaxy "far, far away", and so, clearly, it takes place in this Universe with its (our) universal constants.

Yet, magic. It's clear from that - and other things - that physics don't work in SW like they do here.
Long Long ago and far far away how does that refer to our universe?

how do you know it's not referring to it's own universe

(December 30, 2016 at 1:48 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm)Alex K Wrote: Well... maybe it's so far away that it's in a part of the multiverse with slightly different laws of physics Smile

But I think it is always possible to attribute feats which seemingly contradict established physics to still undiscovered new physical phenomena which allow exceptions and loopholes.

Yes, you are correct!  That damn multiverse is always a way out.  F = ma appears to apply in some Star Wars scenes but not others.

some physics may be similar others not I don't see a problem
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 30, 2016 at 3:26 pm)Orochi Wrote: Long Long ago and far far away how does that refer to our universe?

(December 30, 2016 at 1:48 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Yes, you are correct!  That damn multiverse is always a way out.  F = ma appears to apply in some Star Wars scenes but not others.

[Image: 4633000725_8817dcedb9_b.jpg]
Just watched it... Liked it... here I found a nice video that describes how I liked it:

OOOPPPs, wrong universe!
What?! weren't you guys talking about universes?

Was I the only one who looked at the rag-tag team on Rogue One (the ship) and thought "Red shirts! Where are the red shirts?!!" ?
(December 30, 2016 at 4:00 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 30, 2016 at 3:26 pm)Orochi Wrote: Long Long ago and far far away how does that refer to our universe?

[Image: 4633000725_8817dcedb9_b.jpg]

this doesn't address my point

how do you know it's referring to our past

and why can't some physics be the same and others different

(December 30, 2016 at 4:01 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Just watched it... Liked it... here I found a nice video that describes how I liked it:

OOOPPPs, wrong universe!

Was I the only one who looked at the rag-tag team on Rogue One (the ship) and thought "Red shirts! Where are the red shirts?!!" ?

most rebel soldiers are red shirts and to be fair all stromtroopers
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 30, 2016 at 4:01 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Just watched it... Liked it... here I found a nice video that describes how I liked it:

OOOPPPs, wrong universe!

That's because they were the Red Shirts! lol

oops, ninja'ed by Orochi! Big Grin
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(December 30, 2016 at 4:17 pm)Aroura Wrote:

OOOPPPs, wrong universe!

That's because they were the Red Shirts! lol

oops, ninja'ed by Orachi! Big Grin

Indeed young grasshopper

Inuit Proverb

It would help if people stopped trying to rationalise these things as separate universes and took them for what they are - escapist entertainment. As long as their rules are internally consistent, who cares if they work in the real world? That's covered by the 'fiction' part of science fiction (and I'm sure I don't need to go into 'fantasy' for you). The Empire needed a planetary shield at that point because the story required that none of the characters involved escaped, never to be heard of again. There's sound in Star Wars space because it's their take on WW2 dogfighting. Stormtroopers are shit at aiming? Script immunity of the main characters.

Hey, maybe there's a universe where a whole lot of talking jungle animals decided to re-enact Hamlet? Or maybe Disney 'borrowed' the idea of Kimba the White Lion to make money? We may never know.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 30, 2016 at 4:41 pm)Stimbo Wrote: It would help if people stopped trying to rationalise these things as separate universes and took them for what they are - escapist entertainment. As long as their rules are internally consistent, who cares if they work in the real world? That's covered by the 'fiction' part of science fiction (and I'm sure I don't need to go into 'fantasy' for you). The Empire needed a planetary shield at that point because the story required that none of the characters involved escaped, never to be heard of again. There's sound in Star Wars space because it's their take on WW2 dogfighting. Stormtroopers are shit at aiming? Script immunity of the main characters.

Hey, maybe there's a universe where a whole lot of talking jungle animals decided to re-enact Hamlet? Or maybe Disney 'borrowed' the idea of Kimba the White Lion to make money? We may never know.

I want to see a movie that combines Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien v. Predator, and above all, Wonder Woman!