Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 19, 2024, 3:36 pm

Poll: How do you define atheism?
This poll is closed.
Absence of a belief in god
95.12%
39 95.12%
Belief that there is no god
4.88%
2 4.88%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Atheism?
RE: What is Atheism?
(March 11, 2017 at 1:45 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: "I lack belief in god because....(insert reason)"

To give a reason is to express a belief.

No. To give a reason is to justify why you lack a belief. That is not expressing a belief.

Believing in a claim is to become convinced that it is true. The only way you could say that it is expressing a belief is in the sense of "I believe the claim has not met its burden of proof".
"Faith is the excuse people give when they have no evidence."
  - Matt Dillahunty.
(March 11, 2017 at 1:45 am)Nonpareil Wrote: This really is the most bizarre discussion.

"What is the definition of this word?"

"Here it is."

"That's not the definition, though!"

"Yes, it is. You can look it up in a dictionary."

"But here are some people that don't fit the definition-"

"Then it doesn't apply."

"But I want to call them that!"

"That doesn't matter. The definition still doesn't apply."

"But in the past the definition was different!"

"That doesn't matter. The definition is what it is today."

"But it can actually be whatever anyone wants it to!"

...It's like watching an endless Abbott and Costello bit, only there's never a punchline. Or a gag. Or anything, really. Just people tilting at the dictionary hard enough to make Quixote's head spin.

It's important to note that dictionaries do not define words; they record word usage. In the States, a pavement is the bit of the street that cars use, while over here it's what Americans know as the sidewalk. If the dictionary was an authoritative diktat, we would all agree on a definition.

Similarly, grabbing someone by the fanny over here would get you crushed nuts and a place on a register faster than you can say "Donald Trump".
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Matt Dillahunty has a great analogy to explain an atheist lack of belief.

A jar is filled with gumballs, and there is either an even number of gumballs or an odd number of gumballs. If someone claims that there is an even number of gumballs in the jar, I don't have to believe that there is an odd number of gumballs in order to disbelieve their claim of an even number. I simply hold out on belief until there is enough evidence to show whether it is odd or even.
(March 11, 2017 at 1:45 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: "I lack belief in god because....(insert reason why I should")

Fixed that for you with my bolded.
I don't need a reason to lack belief in a claim (atheism) . I need a reason to believe in a claim (theism)

I don't need to account for anything you do because you claim to know

And what is proposed without evidence (not mental jerking off) can be dismissed without evidence
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(March 11, 2017 at 3:47 am)Orochi Wrote: I don't need a reason to lack belief in  a claim (atheism) . 

Not necessarily. If you lacked a belief in the claim "cars have makers", you would need a pretty good reason to hold such a position.

However, atheists can give a reason very easily: theistic claims fail.
"Faith is the excuse people give when they have no evidence."
  - Matt Dillahunty.
(March 11, 2017 at 4:16 am)ma5t3r0fpupp3t5 Wrote:
(March 11, 2017 at 3:47 am)Orochi Wrote: I don't need a reason to lack belief in  a claim (atheism) . 

Not necessarily. If you lacked a belief in the claim "cars have makers", you would need a pretty good reason to hold such a position.

However, atheists can give a reason very easily: theistic claims fail.

well true in the context of this thread I think my original comment holds l
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

But you know the "real truth" of things, PGJ? Go back in your sock drawer.
I really don't care, PGJ. You'll be tossed into the hamper with all your other socks soon anyway.
(March 11, 2017 at 1:45 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: "I lack belief in god because....(insert reason)"

To give a reason is to express a belief.

I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe in fairies.

I think its a silly idea that in no way conforms to the reality I see and has no evidence to support it.

Now if some one was to actually capture a fairy and show it to me I'll have to admit I was wrong.

I wont hold my breath.

Is this fair enough?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27865 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12745 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12282 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10614 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12111 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38613 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack