Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 19, 2024, 3:28 pm

Poll: How do you define atheism?
This poll is closed.
Absence of a belief in god
95.12%
39 95.12%
Belief that there is no god
4.88%
2 4.88%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Atheism?
RE: What is Atheism?
(March 12, 2017 at 4:33 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:
(March 12, 2017 at 3:26 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I see little point in continuing until people stop using the word 'evidence' in a way that begs the question, i.e. as something already proven. This, as opposed to something evident (obvious, apparent, plain) presented to support an assertion.

My apologies if I have come off as thick.  My posts have been aimed at trying to gain a better understanding of your perspective on matters of theism and atheism.  Could you please elaborate on the part quoted in bold above.  From a theistic perspective, what do you define as something that is 'evident' (obvious, apparent, plain) and can be presented to support an assertion?

something with evidentiary support. Something that can be confirmed scientifically, just like you know everything else that you believe in.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 12, 2017 at 3:26 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(March 12, 2017 at 5:58 am)Stimbo Wrote: This is a little obscure and esoteric, but there is a scene from an early episode of Steptoe and Son in which Harold, the son, challenges Albert, his dad, to show him the shrapnel wounds he claims to have received in WW1 and which he often uses as an excuse to get out of any hard work. Albert keeps prevaricating, throwing out red herrings and threats of violence. Anything to avoid having to actually back up his claim. As a last resort he says "I've got medals in that drawer", as though it's incontrovertible proof.

Long story short, that's what I picture whenever we get logical acrobatics and other smokescreen tactics in place of the evidence for which we ask.

I see little point in continuing until people stop using the word 'evidence' in a way that begs the question, i.e. as something already proven. This, as opposed to something evident (obvious, apparent, plain) presented to support an assertion.

Hey, it's not my fault if you can't support your case. Like I often have to say, evidence is only a problem for someone who has none.

But I'm not going to lose any sleep if you don't think you can talk to me. I'm sure I'll live.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 12, 2017 at 6:39 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I see little point in continuing until people stop using the word 'evidence' in a way that begs the question, i.e. as something already proven. This, as opposed to something evident (obvious, apparent, plain) presented to support an assertion.

"Evidence" is anything that can objectively demonstrate the truth of a claim, which you have failed to provide. In what way are we using "evidence" in a way that begs the question? You have resorted to a strawman fallacy and are once again refusing to provide the evidence.

In other words, you do not have evidence, so I will not be interested in you providing it from here on.
"Faith is the excuse people give when they have no evidence."
  - Matt Dillahunty.
(March 12, 2017 at 3:26 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I see little point in continuing until people stop using the word 'evidence' in a way that begs the question, i.e. as something already proven.

No one is using it that way. We are using it as the term is defined: anything that supports your conclusion.

The key word there is "supports", though. Claims don't support anything.
"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
  - A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
irontiger Wrote:This means you know shit, and your understanding is shit and you don't have an ounce of credentials for anything.  You have no real thought of our own that can quantify into argument, because you don't have any knowledge of it .  The best you can do is take shit from another Atheist and rehash it.

There's really nothing you could have said to better illustrate that you've no deep understanding of logic or philosophy no matter what credentials you may have. For starters, credentials really are irrelevant to the argument, either your argument can stand on its own merits, or it fails, no matter what letters you may be able to put after your name; and understanding that fact is fundamental to the philosophical endeavor.

A is lacking particular credentials, therefore A is wrong.

The above is a fallacy.

irontiger Wrote:  Dodo, I am  not trying to redefine atheism from your English dictionary.  And your English dictionary does not mean shit to other parts of the world. 

That might make a lot more sense if we weren't communicating in English. People who are native speakers of English get to define what words in English mean. If the definition of a word in English in an English dictionary isn't the definition you mean, you're using the wrong word.

Neo-Scholastic Wrote:"I lack belief in god because....(insert reason)"

To give a reason is to express a belief.

If so, that belief is likely not a belief in God. The definition of atheist is not 'has not beliefs whatsoever', so what's your point?

Brian37 Wrote:
TheAtheologian Wrote:How do you define atheism? It may seem simple, but small variations exist in accepted definitions.

Individuals, diverse in politics and class and nationality and exist all over the world. Outside that the only core thing we have in common is "off" or "empty" on deity/god claims. I hate "ism" being attached to the word "atheist". It is to me like trying to accuse and empty glass of having a club. 

An 'ism' can also be a condition or state (albinism, metabolism, etc.). Atheism is the state of not being a believer in a God or gods. Theism is the opposite state. Neither really amounts to the sort of 'ism' that amounts to being in a club (communism, contrarianism, etc.). Frankly, the first question you should get after someone finds out you're an atheist is 'what's your basic philosophy?'. It's like being so incurious that upon finding out someone was a theist, you weren't a bit interested in which religion they identify with, if any. When someone says they're an atheist or theist, they're hardly telling you anything at all about themselves.

Orochi Wrote:
Quote:On the other hand if God exists, then it does have profound significance

Not really the mere fact his exists doesn't make him profound

Depends on which God, eh?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(March 11, 2017 at 1:22 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Apparently the word atheist means whatever any given self-described atheist says it means, which is that it basically means nothing at all.

Isn't that true for the word "Christian" as well and even more so for the words "true xtian" as used by any self-described Christian?
(March 10, 2017 at 11:21 pm)irontiger Wrote: Everybody has the right to define atheism in their own terms and does not have to meet your definition from whatever source you happen to use.

No, they don't  Can I define atheism as a sect of Christianity?  Sure, but i would be wrong.

A=none; lack of

theist=a believer in a god.

Atheist=one who lacks a belief in a god.

(March 11, 2017 at 1:22 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Apparently the words "fact", "evidence" and "truth" means whatever any given self-described christian says it means, which is that it basically means nothing at all.

fixed it for you.

(March 11, 2017 at 1:45 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: "I lack belief in god because....(insert reason)"

To give a reason is to express a belief.

No, it doesn't.

(March 12, 2017 at 3:26 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(March 12, 2017 at 5:58 am)Stimbo Wrote: This is a little obscure and esoteric, but there is a scene from an early episode of Steptoe and Son in which Harold, the son, challenges Albert, his dad, to show him the shrapnel wounds he claims to have received in WW1 and which he often uses as an excuse to get out of any hard work. Albert keeps prevaricating, throwing out red herrings and threats of violence. Anything to avoid having to actually back up his claim. As a last resort he says "I've got medals in that drawer", as though it's incontrovertible proof.

Long story short, that's what I picture whenever we get logical acrobatics and other smokescreen tactics in place of the evidence for which we ask.

I see little point in continuing until people stop using the word 'evidence' in a way that begs the question, i.e. as something already proven. This, as opposed to something evident (obvious, apparent, plain) presented to support an assertion.

There is nothing obvious, apparent or plain to support your god theory.

When I use "evidence", I am talking about objective, testable evidence.  And there is none for your god.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

I cannot address all the individual points in the flurry of responses, so my apologies in advance to anyone who feels ignored.

Suppose Joe Blow is on trial for murder. It is incumbent on the prosecution show Joe is indeed guilty. The prosecution presents as evidence a bloody garment found in Joe’s car, a witness who says he heard Joe arguing with the victim, and a gun in Joe’s apartment that matches the caliber of the bullet found in the victim’s body. At this point, the defense does not say to the jury, “See! They have no evidence!” Instead the defense must give reasons why the evidence does not support prosecution’s case. Maybe, Joe cut himself in an accident. Maybe the witness isn’t reliable because of dementia. Maybe it wasn’t the same gun as the murder weapon. Unless the defense comes up with plausible reasons to not accept the evidence, the facts of the case will stand in favor of the prosecution.

With respect to the proposition that God exists, lots of evidence has been presented. I will even agree that not all of the evidence supports the conclusion that God exists. For example, I think the design arguments are particularly weak. But it would be silly for me to deny the clear and obvious fact that living systems do indeed appear to be designed. Sure it’s evidence but not evidence that supports the claim.

So if I tell my friend the Good News about Jesus Christ, he may ask me why I believe it. In reply I could perhaps present the ‘minimal facts’ argument about the resurrection. If he says I didn’t convince him that means he obviously harbors some objections to the ‘minimal facts’ - objections I failed to address. It would be dodgy of him, after having heard my schpeel, to pretend like I didn’t give him evidence and that he didn’t have reasons for not believing me. That is why I simply do not buy the whole ‘lack of belief’ story. Sure atheists lack belief, but they are also incredulous. They have objections and those objections are also subject to scrutiny.
(March 13, 2017 at 2:23 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I cannot address all the individual points in the flurry of responses, so my apologies in advance to anyone who feels ignored.

Suppose Joe Blow is on trial for murder. It is incumbent on the prosecution show Joe is indeed guilty. The prosecution presents as evidence a bloody garment found in Joe’s car, a witness who says he heard Joe arguing with the victim, and a gun in Joe’s apartment that matches the caliber of the bullet found in the victim’s body. At this point, the defense does not say to the jury, “See! They have no evidence!” Instead the defense must give reasons why the evidence does not support prosecution’s case. Maybe, Joe cut himself in an accident. Maybe the witness isn’t reliable because of dementia. Maybe it wasn’t the same gun as the murder weapon.  Unless the defense comes up with plausible reasons to not accept the evidence, the facts of the case will stand in favor of the prosecution.

With respect to the proposition that God exists, lots of evidence has been presented. I will even agree that not all of the evidence supports the conclusion that God exists. For example, I think the design arguments are particularly weak. But it would be silly for me to deny the clear and obvious fact that living systems do indeed appear to be designed. Sure it’s evidence but not evidence that supports the claim.

So if I tell my friend the Good News about Jesus Christ, he may ask me why I believe it. In reply I could perhaps present the ‘minimal facts’ argument about the resurrection. If he says I didn’t convince him that means he obviously harbors some objections to the ‘minimal facts’ -  objections I failed to address. It would be dodgy of him, after having heard my schpeel, to pretend like I didn’t give him evidence and that he didn’t have reasons for not believing me. That is why I simply do not buy the whole ‘lack of belief’ story. Sure atheists lack belief, but they are also incredulous. They have objections and those objections are also subject to scrutiny.

We know Joe exists.  BIG difference.

I don't know what "minimal facts" refer to, but there is NOTHING outside the bible to corroborate the resurrection. That's not being dodgy, that's fact.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

Not familiar with that story, but yea, with religion it is all the same, an apology, and no different when you expose the Vegas "magician" or street con ball and cup or 3 card Monty. It isn't that the people selling this don't believe it, some do, most do with a passion. 

The cons don't care. The deluded who are honestly fooling themselves but don't realize it are the majority. I think the attitude of "I cant be wrong" is a product of evolution. If it seems to work, people fail to understand most of the time why it "works". A false claim, sold in honest belief, if sold successfully enough unfortunately does have a real evolutionary benefit that creates safety in numbers. 

All the world's major religions ARE successful, not because religion itself is a requirement for evolution to occur. They are successful because they "work" based on a false perception that multiple people buy into. When enough of a society buys into the claim, that creates the placebo effect that creates the REAL safety in numbers. 

But yea, no matter the religion, it isn't defended by objective neutrality, testing or peer review.  It takes mental acrobatics which really amounts to trying to convince oneself. Just like after your parents tell you Santa is real before you can formulate adult critical thinking skills, after you have been exposed, the desire of having a friend or a cosmic parent or magic gift giver, once you have bought that, before you have critical thinking skills, your reaction to defend these unfounded claims is based on self preservation unfortunately based on false perceptions.

I wish mere mental acrobatics worked, my mom would still be alive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27865 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12745 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12282 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10614 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12111 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38613 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack