Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The U.S.S.R was religious.
The U.S.S.R was religious.
I've heard a thousand times that Stalin was an atheist, so I looked into his life at depth. He was not. People who claim that the former Soviet Union is the result of Atheist power are misinformed, but understandably so.
I will explain.

Vladimir Lenin, not Stalin, is actually responsible for most of the evidence that the Soviets were pro-atheism. You see, back in those days, Russia was starving. Communists under Lenin were quite pissed at the church because it refused to sell church artifacts in exchange for food.

Of course, it is the church's right to keep their property. It is also understandable, however, that the working class was pretty pissed off.

Lenin's role in this is dubious, but his followers raided churches and assaulted the clergy out of desparation. They also demolished several historic holy-sites. Lenin carried this embittered view towards religion throughout his reign, and was a documented atheist. Still, he committed nowhere near the crimes of the religious figures from the same time period. (Such as Hitler)

Stalin, now, was perhaps actually religious. He was a communist, so he could not openly admit it, but look at the facts-

He was raised in a strictly religious home.

He attended a bible-school in Georgia (not the state), funded by the Russian Orthodox church, and graduated top of his class.

He funded and supported the Russian Orthodox church during WWII as a way to drum up support. After the war, all the churches EXCEPT the Russian Orthodox church were persecuted.

The people he stuck in gulags were enemies of the state, which yes, often did include the religious. But this was not, in my opinion, an assault on the theistic. It was church in-fighting.

So why does everyone think that Stalin was an atheist and killed 60+ million catholics and christians? (More than Hitler)

During the cold war, the U.S.A labeled America as Christian saints, and labeled the commies as dangerous Atheists. It was propaganda. Us versus them in the most extreme, purest way. Also note that around the cold war era, Christian fanaticism was at a high. Hence the "under god" in the pledge and "in god we trust" on the coins.

If you want even more evidence of this, consider that the U.S was so opposed to Communism (not saying that communism is good, it actually usually fails in practice), consider that we recruited ex-nazis from Germany to work with our military to combat the threat of the cold war. And shortly after WWII, Germany (formerly the evil ghoul of the world after the holocaust) got American aid and sympathy when compared to the Soviets. The U.S was willing to do almost anything to unite civilians against the communists, and were so afraid that they suspended rational criticism for the most part.

The fact that Stalin and his church eliminated many smaller churches made for seemingly convincing evidence that he was an Atheist, which was simply not true. Of course, like other world history myths such as the lie that Betsy Ross sewed the first American flag or that the Persians were evil and the Greeks were awesome, the winner writes the history.

Also, one last thing, Stalin is at least indicative that religious upbringing causes mental damage, even if you deny that he carried religion into his later life.

As for sources, here is one. The others are the result of research spread out over several years, and sadly, I did not record most of my sources, so people who want to deny this have good ammunition to do so. Even if I provided them, I get the feeling that the theists wouldn't accept them.

http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/stal...tion1.html
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: The U.S.S.R was religious.
A reference to Hitler, on the internet, that is both in proper context and relevant? Worship (large)

Good read Aegrus, I honestly had never looked into this to any depth.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Stalin was mentally damaged? ROFLOL-no.

He made some mistakes (sending his best officers to the gulag)... and was unnecessarily paranoid... but neither of these constitutes being mentally damaged. He turned agricultural russia into an industrial powerhouse.

The united states was not apposed to communism, but a communistic revolution.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Ah crediting Stalin and not The People. To the gulag with you!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 29, 2011 at 4:50 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Ah crediting Stalin and not The People. To the gulag with you!

I credit the leaders who lead an army, or a country, or a civilization. The people are largely one and the same, most often unworthy of being noted the instruments of change.

I don't care who denounces Stalin... he is to me an example of the epitome of soviet leadership.
(August 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Stalin was mentally damaged? ROFLOL-no.

He made some mistakes (sending his best officers to the gulag)... and was unnecessarily paranoid... but neither of these constitutes being mentally damaged. He turned agricultural russia into an industrial powerhouse.

The united states was not apposed to communism, but a communistic revolution.

I probably should have clarified what I meant. Stalin was a very effective leader. Picking up where Lenin left off, he transformed the Soviet Union into one of the two leading world powers of the era. But he was also incredibly paranoid and somewhat mentally unstable. He had a tendency to kill pretty much anyone who could challenge his power in any way.

Though I have to argue, the U.S was terrified of communism. We waged the Vietnam war to stop the spread of it. We armed Iraq and Afghanistan so they could use guerilla tactics to fight the communists. There were many, many people who literally thought that communism was the devil, and Stalin was the antichrist. We didn't just try to stop a communist revolution within our borders, but we opposed its spread everywhere. Even in nations where the majority wanted it, we armed the rebels.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Which is going to be fairly embarrassing for a very long time. In the end I agree with much of it, guess that's the nature of nationalism.
Aegrus Wrote:I probably should have clarified what I meant. Stalin was a very effective leader. Picking up where Lenin left off, he transformed the Soviet Union into one of the two leading world powers of the era. But he was also incredibly paranoid and somewhat mentally unstable. He had a tendency to kill pretty much anyone who could challenge his power in any way.

Thank you, under those conditions I will agree to it. and thus kudos the first post Tongue
It has received Sae's stamp, it is now acceptable to call this thread truth.
(August 29, 2011 at 5:16 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It has received Sae's stamp, it is now acceptable to call this thread truth.

If you post 200 or more posts today, i'll give you a hug Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 13015 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus