Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh no not another free will thread.
RE: Oh no not another free will thread.
(April 23, 2018 at 5:38 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein

Perfect quote.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel about so-called atemporality.
(April 23, 2018 at 5:38 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(April 23, 2018 at 5:26 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: ok

I don't think he meant any harm by his tone. I don't think he knows you too well or knows what a nice person you are.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I've spoken to you that way before too but I get the feeling you don't think much of it because it's me and you know I mean no harm by it, hehe.

I don't mean any harm, but it doesn't mean some of the styles of argumentation do not frustrate me. And in a forum like this, I don't care about personalities as much as I do about the type of thinking being put forth to demonstrate so-and-so. On Skype or Slack or social threads, different story. Most theists here, I'm sure, are nice people in reality anyway. CL just happens to be more popular with the atheists here, partly because she socializes with you guys as well, but it doesn't mean I should therefore go more easy on her than on the other theists (or even atheists who put forth dumb views).
(April 23, 2018 at 6:25 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(April 23, 2018 at 5:38 pm)Hammy Wrote: I don't think he meant any harm by his tone. I don't think he knows you too well or knows what a nice person you are.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I've spoken to you that way before too but I get the feeling you don't think much of it because it's me and you know I mean no harm by it, hehe.

I don't mean any harm, but it doesn't mean some of the styles of argumentation do not frustrate me. And in a forum like this, I don't care about personalities as much as I do about the type of thinking being put forth to demonstrate so-and-so. On Skype or Slack or social threads, different story. Most theists here, I'm sure, are nice people in reality anyway. CL just happens to be more popular with the atheists here, partly because she socializes with you guys as well, but it doesn't mean I should therefore go more easy on her than on the other theists (or even atheists who put forth dumb views).

Yeah. I have my own issues and one of them is I always want all my friends to like each other. Not realistic, I know, lol. But then maybe you don't consider me a friend! I consider you one. I think we Skyped once too?

(April 23, 2018 at 6:25 pm)Grandizer Wrote: (or even atheists who put forth dumb views).

^ On this note... Dennett gets on my tits, and I'm not a fan. But he says some cool things and has some good quotes. Here's one:

[Image: daniel-dennett-quote-theres-nothing-i-li...uments.jpg]
I do consider you an online friend, partly because we're both BigMacDavis fans and because we did have personal chats a few times.
Cool! I'm still checking YouTube repeatedly for his upload as I post on AF lol.
(April 23, 2018 at 5:38 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(April 23, 2018 at 5:26 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: ok

I don't think he meant any harm by his tone. I don't think he knows you too well or knows what a nice person you are.

I just don't understand his need to be rude and condecending. I'm not over here insulting anyone, or telling anyone they have to believe the same things I do. I'm over here doing my best to share my personal perspective on the issue. Nothing more, nothing less. No need to be an asshole to me about it.

(April 23, 2018 at 6:25 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(April 23, 2018 at 5:38 pm)Hammy Wrote: I don't think he meant any harm by his tone. I don't think he knows you too well or knows what a nice person you are.

Yes, you can be an asshole to whomever you wish. Doesn't mean I'm going to like you or have respect enough to engage with you if you are. It doesn't matter if you we are in the forum or on slack/skype. We are still people and there's no reason to be rude and sarcastic to someone who is sharing their perspectives respectfully. Anyway, I'm done talking to you.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 23, 2018 at 7:48 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:

I just don't understand his need to be rude and condecending. I'm not over here insulting anyone, or telling anyone they have to believe the same things I do. I'm over here doing my best to share my personal perspective on the issue. Nothing more, nothing less. No need to be an asshole to me about it.

(April 23, 2018 at 6:25 pm)Grandizer Wrote: I don't mean any harm, but it doesn't mean some of the styles of argumentation do not frustrate me. And in a forum like this, I don't care about personalities as much as I do about the type of thinking being put forth to demonstrate so-and-so. On Skype or Slack or social threads, different story. Most theists here, I'm sure, are nice people in reality anyway. CL just happens to be more popular with the atheists here, partly because she socializes with you guys as well, but it doesn't mean I should therefore go more easy on her than on the other theists (or even atheists who put forth dumb views).

Yes, you can be an asshole to whomever you wish. Doesn't mean I'm going to like you or have respect enough to engage with you if you are. It doesn't matter if you we are in the forum or on slack/skype. We are still people and there's no reason to be rude and sarcastic to someone who is sharing their perspectives respectfully. Anyway, I'm done talking to you.

Haven't I been a a rude condescending asshole to you before but you forgave me because you knew it was out of character for me to talk to you like that? (I often talk to people like that, but they're usually people I don't consider to be as nice a person as you are. They're usually people I don't like).

Or am I being overly hard on myself?

This is the part of me that just screams "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONGGGGGGGGG" in my head lol. I don't expect the people I don't like to be friends with each other but I always want all my friends to be friends with each other. I'm silly lol.

You're both my friends.
(April 23, 2018 at 8:01 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(April 23, 2018 at 7:48 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I just don't understand his need to be rude and condecending. I'm not over here insulting anyone, or telling anyone they have to believe the same things I do. I'm over here doing my best to share my personal perspective on the issue. Nothing more, nothing less. No need to be an asshole to me about it.

Haven't I been a a rude condescending asshole to you before but you forgave me because you knew it was out of character for me to talk to you like that? (I often talk to people like that, but they're usually people I don't consider to be as nice a person as you are. They're usually people I don't like).

Or am I being overly hard on myself?

This is the part of me that just screams "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONGGGGGGGGG" in my head lol. I don't expect the people I don't like to be friends with each other but I always want all my friends to be friends with each other. I'm silly lol.

You're both my friends.

You've had your moments, and I didn't hold it against you because I know how you can get sometimes in the heat of the moment.

This scenario though, wasn't even in heated discussion nor was it a hot button topic at all. So he got it right back lol.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Well, thanks for always being so understanding of my moments. I'm an out of control motherfucker.

I think I've been pretty clear I don't respect every perspective that is shared out there, even peacefully. If it's crap, it's crap. If some of the Catholic or Christian doctrines are garbage, I'm going to point it out here and there in a forum like this and in a thread like this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 5125 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Another Free-will poll, please bear with me! Aroura 53 7677 May 29, 2015 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Implications of not having free will Spacedog 27 8301 February 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho