Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 7:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
RE: Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
(October 10, 2018 at 1:30 pm)Dmitry1983 Wrote:
(October 10, 2018 at 1:21 pm)possibletarian Wrote: I don't assume anything, we do however know there is always a brain involved the question is
Science doesn't know that. Science never observed consciousness. Scientifically consciousness doesn't exist so you can't claim that something that doesn't exist is located inside brain.

Garbage. We observe conscious entities all the time. For that matter, we interact with conscious entities all the time. We can study these entities and figure out what sorts of things affect them and their level of consciousness. We can correlate those observations with other information we collect, say about location of brain damage from strokes or bullets and determine which areas of the brain mediate which aspects of conscious behavior. We have learned how to use brain scans to read simple thoughts, how to use such to direct movement of robotic arms to restore limbs, etc. We have learned the specific chemistry of different brain regions and correlated that chemistry with behavior and other aspects of consciousness.

Everything we have shows that consciousness, thoughts, emotions, feelings, etc are ALL aspects of how the brain processes information.

The concept of a philosophical zombie is a thought-experiment that is ultimately incoherent: such entities could not exist. Once we know the physical aspects of the brain and the senses, the thoughts, emotions, and yes, qualia are determined. As Chalmers would say, everything supervenes on the physical (not what he believed, but that is the language he would use).
(October 11, 2018 at 9:46 am)polymath257 Wrote:
(October 10, 2018 at 1:30 pm)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Science doesn't know that. Science never observed consciousness. Scientifically consciousness doesn't exist so you can't claim that something that doesn't exist is located inside brain.
Everything we have shows that consciousness, thoughts, emotions, feelings, etc are ALL aspects of how the brain processes information.
Can you make computer have subjective experience? What C++ code will make CPU feel pain?

Quote:The concept of a philosophical zombie is a thought-experiment that is ultimately incoherent: such entities could not exist.
Why? Can you prove it scientifically?
(October 11, 2018 at 10:01 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote:
(October 11, 2018 at 9:46 am)polymath257 Wrote: Everything we have shows that consciousness, thoughts, emotions, feelings, etc are ALL aspects of how the brain processes information.
Can you make computer have subjective experience? What C++ code will make CPU feel pain?

Quote:The concept of a philosophical zombie is a thought-experiment that is ultimately incoherent: such entities could not exist.

Well, what is pain? It is an adversive reaction to a potentially damaging stimulus. I don't see any reason why that isn't possible in silicon.

One problem, at this point, is that our computers tend to not be the massively parallel processors that brains are. They are also not programmed to learn from the environment by use of adversive and attractive stimuli. Finally, they are not currently the result of an evolutionary process involving survival and reproduction in a real world situation.

My belief is that most of these will be required in order to actually produce artificial consciousness, but I may be too pessimistic.

Scientific proof, in the current context, consists of noting that every conscious entity we have ever seen has a brain, that brain states are, in fact, sufficient to explain observed conscious behavior, and there is no reason to suspect anything else is involved. I really fail to see any 'hard' problem of consciousness.

I'd also point out that we wouldn't expect the CPU to 'feel pain' any more than individual neurons 'feel pain'. Pain is a processed state not a simple one.
(October 11, 2018 at 10:05 am)polymath257 Wrote:
(October 11, 2018 at 10:01 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Can you make computer have subjective experience? What C++ code will make CPU feel pain?

Well, what is pain? It is an adversive reaction to a potentially damaging stimulus. I don't see any reason why that isn't possible in silicon.
Supercomputers are more powerful than human brains. Reproducing single artificial qualia like feeling of pain should have been done by now
Quote:Supercomputers are more powerful than human brains. Reproducing single artificial qualia like feeling of pain should have been done by now
Care to back that up  Dodgy
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(October 11, 2018 at 10:05 am)polymath257 Wrote:
(October 11, 2018 at 10:01 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Can you make computer have subjective experience? What C++ code will make CPU feel pain?

Scientific proof, in the current context, consists of noting that every conscious entity we have ever seen has a brain, that brain states are, in fact, sufficient to explain observed conscious behavior, 

Behavior is not mind
Quote:Behaviour is not mind
Assertion
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(October 11, 2018 at 10:12 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote:
(October 11, 2018 at 10:05 am)polymath257 Wrote: Well, what is pain? It is an adversive reaction to a potentially damaging stimulus. I don't see any reason why that isn't possible in silicon.
Supercomputers are more powerful than human brains. Reproducing single artificial qualia like feeling of pain should have been done by now

No, they are not. They are uniformly linear processors, based on a Von Neumann technology, which is quite different than the architecture of the brain.

They are more powerful in the sense of being able to process certain types of data faster, but they are not programmed to interact with an environment, learn from mistakes, and to survive. This drastically limits their ability to do the types of things required for consciousness.

(October 11, 2018 at 10:14 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote:
(October 11, 2018 at 10:05 am)polymath257 Wrote: Scientific proof, in the current context, consists of noting that every conscious entity we have ever seen has a brain, that brain states are, in fact, sufficient to explain observed conscious behavior, 

Behaviour is not mind

Behavior shows the effects of mind and can be used to analyze mind. If we can correlate brain states to reported conscious states, that is more than sufficient to establish that consciousness derives from brain states.
Dmitry, what flavor of theist are you?
(October 11, 2018 at 10:19 am)Crossless2.0 Wrote: Dmitry, what flavor of theist are you?

Good question
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 3528 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2766 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3668 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1833 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5285 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 466 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 9067 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3130 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1099 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2770 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball