Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience.
Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience.
"That Jesus was crucified [under Pontius Pilate] is as certain as anything historical can ever be" ~ Liberal Scholar John Dominic Crossan.

There is a unique "Isaiah Argument" for Christianity that exists for no other religion. Isaiah was a Hebrew Prophet in the Royal Court of King Hezekiah. He delivered various prophecies about the future, especially about the Messiah, and what this Messiah would do when He came.

1. Isaiah 53 is one single passage that has probably led to Millions accepting Christ because it such a Clear Prophecy about Him that pre-dates His Birth:

Quote:

This is a Clear Prophecy that the Messiah will offer Himself as a Sacrificial Lamb for the sins of His People. Only Jesus Christ has ever done this.

Here is a Video about this with some 4 MN views from Tree Life of Ministries in Israel itself. It is in Hebrew, but there are English sub-titles.

https://youtu.be/cGz9BVJ_k6s

2. This also shows the Pharisaic/Rabbinic conception of the Messiah is wrong: Although some Pre-Christian Rabbis got it right, that the Messiah would suffer, after Isaiah 53 caused such great controversy that many became Christian because of it, because it was evidently fulfilled in Jesus Christ, some began to deny the Messiah would suffer and die for our sins, and instead claimed this Prophecy was referring to the Nation of Israel. Even a slight knowledge of Isaiah suffices to refute that: Isaiah says the Servant is Righteous and Innocent and suffers for the sins of His People. Right from the beginning of Isaiah, however, the Prophet says the people most certainly are not righteous and sinless, but fallen and sinful! Hence, the Servant is not the people themselves, and that is a Pharisaic/Rabbinic Sophism which Christianity has often answered before.

See Isaiah 1:4 for e.g.: "Woe, sinful nation, people laden with iniquity, offspring who do evil, children who act corruptly, who have forsaken the Lord, who have despised the Holy One of Israel, who are utterly estranged!"

Lol, easiest false argument to ever knock down. Granted that the people are a sinful nation, therefore, and the Messiah is an Innocent Victim suffering for their and the world's sins, it clearly follows that the Servant/Messiah is not the people themselves, but the Messiah who dies for the sins of His people. Next, the Messiah is not Israel, but a Son of Israel, whose mission/vocation is to gather in the Gentiles/non-Jews, and bring God's Salvation to the ends of Earth. Isaiah 53 is actually the 4th of 4 Suffering Servant Passages in Isaiah, and this is clearly stated in an earlier one, Isaiah 49: "5 And now the Lord says, who formed me in the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob [Israel] back to him, and that Israel might be gathered to him, for I am honored in the sight of the Lord, and my God has become my strength— 6 he says, “It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the survivors of Israel; I will give you as a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”

The Messiah is someone who has to spread God's Message of Salvation to every Nation, as Jesus Christ alone has clearly done in history; there were other false messiahs in Jesus Christ's time, some of them are mentioned in Acts and by Josephus, but neither of them did these 2 things.

3. Why this Prophecy is evidence for Divine Omniscience: So, as mentioned, only 2 things are taken for granted here (1) That Jesus Christ truly was crucified, which even Crossan says is as certain as a historical fact can ever be. (2) That Christianity did spread throughout the world, bringing the message of salvation from the God of Israel and His Suffering Messiah, exactly as the prophecies of the Servant in 49 and 53 require.

So, how did all this come about? Just a "chance" fulfilment as usual? Gotta love that chance. Rather, since it's extremely unlikely Jesus Christ could ever have known that the True Messiah was supposed to die and sacrifice Himself for our sins - as most of the Rabbis have held otherwise - unless in fact He were the True Messiah and Son of God and, even having done that (as Crossan and others acknowledge He did), could never have ensured that His Message would live on and reach the farthest ends of the Earth, as it had to per Isaiah 49, and as it actually has in history, then that's further evidence of Christ's Omniscience and Omnipotence. He was able to foretell these things and then bring it about because He was God.

Thoughts?
RE: Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience.
Poppycock.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I have a much simpler explanation, Nishant:

The writers who composed the Gospels deliberately wrote fictional scenes based on the Old Testament to make it appear that prophesies were fulfilled.
Bible is not history but a collection of fairy tales.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Wall o text
How unsurprising
Content? : Clear lack of linking atheism to Marxism.

The impressive part of the post: John whoever thinks the crucification of JC is a fact. Dude, I'm SO impressed. 🥱
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
He keeps using that sentence across threads, lol, like he's trying to cast a magic spell...but I'm pretty sure that we're much more certain things went tits up in pompeii.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 23, 2023 at 1:02 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Bible is not history but a collection of fairy tales.

No,  it is a collection of a range of lies, all very low low class, chosen annd assembled with very specific and very self serving propaganda agenda in mind.
In Case for Christ, Lee Strobel recounts how Louis Lapides, who was a Devout Jew prior to reading Isaiah 53, reacted upon reading it. He was amazed! He ended up becoming a Christian. Messianic Prophecies have led Millions to Christ over the Centuries. They will show Atheism to be false.

Astreja, that cannot be because the only thing this prophecy requires to have happened is the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ under Pontius Pilate, a fact virtually universally admitted, even by Atheists and Liberals. The quote from John Dominic Crossan was to establish that. Even Cornelius Tacitus, the distinguished official biographer of the Roman Emperor Tiberius, frankly says that Christ was killed under their governor Pilate.

Here is the Excerpt from Case for Christ on Isaiah 53 and Lapides:

Quote:

Sure, that's it. Magic book miraculously made someone who already believed in god..believe in god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Rather, someone who did not believe in Jesus Christ as the True God, upon seeing the Amazing Proofs of His Divinity and Omniscience, by the help of God's Grace and his free will surrender to the Holy Spirit, came to confess that Truth. As St. Paul said: "Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord." (1 Cor 12:3) God Bless Louis Lapides. His life is a testimony to Christ, and what Christ is doing for His Jewish People. Unless chance is your god, you should realize these prophecies couldn't have been fulfilled by chance. Crucifixion hadn't even been invented yet, when David and Isaiah spoke of Christ being pierced in the hands and feet, and in time, He was. For us and for our sins, that all who believe in Him and are baptized may receive the remission of all their past sins and go to Heaven if they just avoid mortal sin in the future. Christ's Blood has made forgiveness possible, and Isaiah bears witness to the fact that the Messiah's Sacrifice washes away sins.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2481 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3356 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1657 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1854 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
  Christianity in Africa stats: <10 MN in 1900, 700 MN today. Nishant Xavier 75 3804 July 24, 2023 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8124 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2876 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1048 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2593 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 50471 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII