Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 2:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science is inherently atheistic
RE: Science is inherently atheistic
(December 1, 2018 at 10:47 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: You're losing your grip bud, lol.

Be nice. Your leaders are saying to embrace the atheist church.  Even if you disagree with other atheists on it, you must follow what the leaders have set before you.  It's fine though.  It's an observation of modern day evolutionary change.  Yesterday, no church, today church.  Yesterday, no hymns, today atheist hymns.  Yesterday, no offering plate.  Today, atheist offering plate with tax deductions.  Yesterday, eat at home alone.  Today, atheist potluck.

Hey, if you invite me to one of your potlucks, it's a "yes" in advance, and we don't even have to argue, or talk about anything as far as that goes.

Anyway, "Secular Talk" says it's okay to copy all this.  So don't be mad at me.  I'm agreeing with him on it.

lelz.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:BTW, what is your favorite hymn?

This always works.  Good for a laugh, anyway.

(December 1, 2018 at 10:55 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Your leaders are saying to embrace the atheist church.  

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to say that atheism per se is a religion. It's true what we atheists often point out: that in the strict sense atheism is merely a lack of belief in a god or gods. 

Nonetheless, we atheists would be disingenuous if we used this strict definition to avoid admitting that each of us has some intellectual commitments by which we judge things, and even some metaphysical principles. And that by and large, the atheists posting here share nearly all of those commitments and principles.

For example, an atheist could be a sort of Neitzschean fundamentalist who holds that the universe is in fact pure chaos, and any order we think we perceive is an illusion created by the mind. That would be compatible with atheism, and there may even be some such atheists out there. 

As far as I can tell, though, every atheist posting on this site (and any other atheist site I have visited) is not such an atheist. We all share the commitment that the facts science tells us are a more or less accurate representation of the way the world is (this is a metaphysical view). 

We hold that the types of evidence given for religious belief (e.g. natural theology, revelation, etc.) do not constitute persuasive evidence, based on our principles concerning what constitutes good evidence. When an atheist says he doesn't believe in God because there is a complete lack of evidence, what he is saying is that he has certain views on what evidence must be, he has evaluated religion's claims based on these views, and he has formed a judgment. 

So the repetition of certain slogans, like bald not being a hair color, shouldn't let us atheists ignore the fact that we do have beliefs (where the term "belief" simply means "I hold it to be true.") And every atheist arguing with you here is a member of a group which shares nearly all of these beliefs in common. 

Which doesn't mean that atheism per se is a religion. But it does mean that your interlocutors here share a system of beliefs. 
We only have one thing in common, as atheists, Bel.  If you poke around long enough you'll find that there are a great many beliefs that we don't have in common. If you counted on atheism, a lack of belief, to entail that we shared some other actual belief, you would be massively disappointed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 2, 2018 at 12:02 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: We only have one thing in common, as atheists, Bel.  If you poke around long enough you'll find that there are a great many beliefs that we don't have in common.  If you counted on atheism, a lack of belief, to entail that we shared some other belief, you would be massively disappointed.

Is science the best method we have of learning the truth about the physical universe?
Science isn't even in the truth business.

See what I mean?
(December 1, 2018 at 11:59 pm)Belaqua Wrote:
(December 1, 2018 at 10:55 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Your leaders are saying to embrace the atheist church.  

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to say that atheism per se is a religion. It's true what we atheists often point out: that in the strict sense atheism is merely a lack of belief in a god or gods. 

Nonetheless, we atheists would be disingenuous if we used this strict definition to avoid admitting that each of us has some intellectual commitments by which we judge things, and even some metaphysical principles. And that by and large, the atheists posting here share nearly all of those commitments and principles.

For example, an atheist could be a sort of Neitzschean fundamentalist who holds that the universe is in fact pure chaos, and any order we think we perceive is an illusion created by the mind. That would be compatible with atheism, and there may even be some such atheists out there. 

As far as I can tell, though, every atheist posting on this site (and any other atheist site I have visited) is not such an atheist. We all share the commitment that the facts science tells us are a more or less accurate representation of the way the world is (this is a metaphysical view). 

We hold that the types of evidence given for religious belief (e.g. natural theology, revelation, etc.) do not constitute persuasive evidence, based on our principles concerning what constitutes good evidence. When an atheist says he doesn't believe in God because there is a complete lack of evidence, what he is saying is that he has certain views on what evidence must be, he has evaluated religion's claims based on these views, and he has formed a judgment. 

So the repetition of certain slogans, like bald not being a hair color, shouldn't let us atheists ignore the fact that we do have beliefs (where the term "belief" simply means "I hold it to be true.") And every atheist arguing with you here is a member of a group which shares nearly all of these beliefs in common. 

Which doesn't mean that atheism per se is a religion. But it does mean that your interlocutors here share a system of beliefs. 

I don't necessarily disagree with any of your statements.  I like you stated your beliefs (if you will) well, even if that entails certain "disbelief" in certain things.  Many people say they aren't religious, and I don't think anybody is necessarily wrong.  It's about how we choose to define something.  People don't want to get grouped into something that they don't feel defines them.

What I take exception to are people who go around telling everybody else their beliefs are wrong, stupid, incorrect, or the like because it doesn't match their own.  We all believe what we believe for a reason.  Sometimes we get things right, and sometimes we get things wrong, but at least we're trying to figure it out.  That's more than some people do.  When people care, but at the same time respect others, then I respect them.
(December 2, 2018 at 12:54 am)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: We all believe what we believe for a reason. 

Yes, this is important. 

Quote:Sometimes we get things right, and sometimes we get things wrong, but at least we're trying to figure it out.  That's more than some people do.  When people care, but at the same time respect others, then I respect them.

I've discovered that people go about these things differently. To me, the mockery and insults show a lack of humility. We'd all be better off criticizing ourselves, probably.
I don't know that anyone has enough time in their lives to hear me lay out my many..many faults, lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 6019 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 8351 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4451 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe