Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 2:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science is inherently atheistic
RE: Science is inherently atheistic
Yeah, sure, maybe.  The only way to figure that out is by you supplying me with the correct interpretation that obviates any real or perceived inconsistency.  

I'm still wondering very simple things.  What makes vampires somehow less credible than ghosts, or if you prefer..do you think that vampires -are- less credible than ghosts and on what basis.   Additionally, how have you determined that the cause of gravity is not supernatural..and why would it matter if some cause were supernatural if it had natural effects..vampires, ghosts, or gravity....with respect to what science can and can't study?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 3, 2018 at 11:46 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Yeah, sure, maybe.  The only way to figure that out is by you supplying me with the correct interpretation that obviates any real or perceived inconsistency.  

I'm still wondering very simple things.  What makes vampires somehow less credible than ghosts, or if you prefer..do you think that vampires -are- less credible than ghosts and on what basis.   Additionally, how have you determined that the cause of gravity is not supernatural..and why would it matter if some cause were supernatural if it had natural effects..vampires, ghosts, or gravity....with respect to what science can and can't study?

I don't know that either ghost or vampire would be more credible.  Maybe depending on how you define them.  Some people believe ghosts are remnants of deceased humans, and some people believe vampires are cursed humans that feed on the blood of other humans, which has the potential to change them into another vampire.  Maybe those are more probable.  As far as monsters who turn into bats or specters that slime people, I doubt either is real. Maybe someone will show me otherwise.  Maybe the vampire or ghost will.  Until then, I don't look for them, and if the exist, hopefully they don't come looking for me.
Oookay.   Is there some reason in particular that science couldn't study either of them, if they did exist?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 4, 2018 at 12:18 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Oookay.   Is there some reason in particular that science couldn't study either of them, if they did exist?

You or anybody else can study whatever you like.  You can attempt whatever methods you think will work.  You can present them to whatever peers you believe can validate (or invalidate) your findings.  I'll even cheer you on while you're doing it.  You can even call it "science" if you choose or whatever else you might want to name it.
Awesome, good to know.  Can you see, by reference to your earlier remarks, why a person may have gotten some other impression?
(December 4, 2018 at 12:30 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Awesome, good to know.  Can you see, by reference to your earlier remarks, why a person may have gotten some other impression?

People have different views on scientific study. I stated earlier that I was going to "bow out" because I didn't want to round-n-round with it.  Not because I didn't care or didn't want to be considerate of the alternate view, but it didn't appear to be going anywhere.  When people start accusing me of being someone else, then to me that is a bit irritating.  I value truth and I don't intentionally try to deceive people. It doesn't mean I don't muck up sometimes, but such is life.  My hope is to gain something from conversation, no matter who is right or wrong.  To me it isn't a competition.  I just enjoy learning and hopefully others feel the same way.  But anyway, thanks for asking. Smile
What alternative view, of what?
Oh please, you put yourself in a corner, and your waffling and pretense that you are looking for something else is just an attempt to extricate yourself from that corner without doing any actual work.

Your motives and behavior are stunningly transparent.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 4, 2018 at 1:45 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: What alternative view, of what?
Scientific study.  But it's okay though. I did manage to find a "scientific" institute that allows for the application of numerical values to the lives of vampires.  It also allows for the application of "metaphysics" as solutions to difficult problems.

What alternative view of scientific stuidy?  Do you mean the earlier view..that you expressed..which isn't so much an "alternative" as it is "wrong"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 6019 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 8351 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4451 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe