Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 6:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science is inherently atheistic
RE: Science is inherently atheistic
(December 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:

I love it!
(December 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm)Cherub786 Wrote:
(December 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:

I love it!

Thank you sir.  I found it during a scientific exploration for vampires on Youtube.
Funny, we just had a bunch of theists leave because they were being mocked by atheists. I find your appeal to ridicule a fascinating twist.

But thank you for putting to rest the lie that it is only atheists who engage in mocking instead of serious discussion.

Regardless, you had a great opportunity to learn something by responding to my Socratic questioning about gravity, a point which Gae Bolga aptly picked up on and repeated. Instead you chose to deflect so as to avoid confronting the reality and learning from the experience. You had the opportunity to learn, and you made other choices. It's clear that your claim to want to learn from nice people is another lie, and the only reason you want to concentrate your energies on nice people is because they are less likely to call you out on your bullshit.

Again, your motives and behavior are stunningly transparent.

[Image: PbYc.gif]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I've never really understood "hiddenness" arguments.  They seem like the last thing a person looking to establish (or at least maintain the credibility of) somethings existence would want to field.

The only conclusion science could reach in the case of some hidden thing is..that..if it exists, it;s doing such a great job at playing hide and seek we can;t tell it;s existence from non-existence.

OFC, with respect to gods, ghosts, and vampires...that;s not really true, is it?  Theyre all over our folklore.  Ghosts were practically falling out of the trees, you had to beat the vampires back nightly, and gods popped down to chit chat with randos about nothing important....to hear the tales told.  So they weren't very good at hiding, then.  It's only now, when there's a camera in everyone's pocket, that we find them thin on the ground.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 4, 2018 at 3:11 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: I've never really understood "hiddenness" arguments.  They seem like the last thing a person looking to establish (or at least maintain the credibility of) somethings existence would want to field.

The only conclusion science could reach in the case of some hidden thing is..that..if it exists, it;s doing such a great job at playing hide and seek we can;t tell it;s existence from non-existence.

OFC, with respect to gods, ghosts, and vampires...that;s not really true, is it?  Theyre all over our folklore.  Ghosts were practically falling out of the trees, you had to beat the vampires back nightly, and gods popped down to chit chat with randos about nothing important....to hear the tales told.  So they weren't very good at hiding, then.  It's only now, when there's a camera in everyone's pocket, that we find them thin on the ground.

As I said before, these things require "definitions."  What is a ghost?  What is a vampire?

Vampire - A mystical creature that can turn into a bat and feeds off the blood of the living.

Vampire - A high school kid that wears all black, smears ketchup all over their face, and tries to scare people.  (yeah, i know that was exaggerated a bit).  Anyway, they attempt to be Gothic (goth).

Vampire - An electrical device that unnecessarily draws large amounts of energy beyond the intended parameters of its usage and often requires extra maintenance by its owner.

All three definitions apply to things significantly different.
Are any of them beyond what we could study scientifically?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 4, 2018 at 3:47 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Are any of them beyond what we could study scientifically?

Anything has the potential to be studied but that still doesn't mean we'll be able to especially when it comes to things like vampire monsters and flying unicorns.
Why couldn't we study vampire monsters or flying unicorns, scientifically..and what about ghosts, don't they belong here as well? If not, why not?
(December 4, 2018 at 4:09 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Why couldn't we study vampire monsters or flying unicorns, scientifically..and what about ghosts, don't they belong here as well?  If not, why not?

What vampires? What unicorns? What ghosts?
Whichever ones might exist, you offered three versions of vampires, up above, I did ask if any of those would somehow be beyond our ability to study scientifically.  So...how about any of the three of them, again..and if so..why, also again?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 6020 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 8351 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4451 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe