Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 5:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science is inherently atheistic
RE: Science is inherently atheistic
(December 4, 2018 at 4:18 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Whichever ones might exist, you offered three versions of vampires, up above, I did ask if any of those would somehow be beyond our ability to study scientifically.  So...how about any of the three of them, again..and if so..why, also again?

"Might" is a strong word here.  If it truly does exist, we might be able to study it.  But how can we even establish that?  Maybe it is willfully subjects itself to us.  But we have to consider that if it is supernatural, maybe it also has the ability to manipulate every parameter and control we set to study it.  I'm with you on it being possible if we can somehow ensure it will conform to the natural world enough to study it., but that they be "its" choice and not ours, if we can even find it.
Sounds like a no to all three.  Science can't study ghosts, vampire monsters, or flying unicorns.  

That could only be the case if they had no natural effects.  The three vampires you mentioned don't seem to be bereft of natural effects.  

Can you think of some other word we use for a hypothetical thing that has no known natural effects? That does nothing in this world? That can't be seen or heard or felt or detected in any way?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 4, 2018 at 4:32 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Sounds like a no to all three.  Science can't study ghosts, vampire monsters, or flying unicorns.  

That could only be the case if they had no natural effects.  The three vampires you mentioned don't seem to be bereft of natural effects.  

Can you think of some other word we use for a hypothetical thing that has no known natural effects?  That does nothing in this world?  That can't be seen or heard or felt or detected in any way?

Sometimes the best answers are "I don't know" and "maybe." 

Maybe there's a vampire.  Maybe it's friendly.  Maybe we can communicate with it in English.  But I don't know.

Maybe we can start a new method of study and call it the "vampirical method" and lure them in with some sugary cereal and disco music.

I didn't ask you whether or not you knew if there were vampires, if they were friendly, or what language they spoke.  You don't have to know that to know your own mind about the things I have been asking you. 

Any word on that, yet..or is your own opinion as hidden, mysterious, and unknowable to you as any ghost, vampire, or unicorn?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 4, 2018 at 4:42 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: I didn't ask you whether or not you knew if there were vampires, or what language they spoke.  You don't have to know that to know your own mind about the things I have been asking you. 

Any word on that, yet..or is your own opinion as hidden, mysterious, and unknowable to you as any ghost, vampire, or unicorn?

Sorry, but I don't make claims and assertions about vampires, unicorns, and the like.
That's looking like a yes.  You have no idea what you're thinking....and you've made -many- assertions about ghosts, vampires, unicorns and the like, in this thread..so I guess you have no idea what you're doing from one moment to the next, either.

Can you point me in the direction of anyone who -does- know what you think..or what you're doing?
(December 4, 2018 at 4:51 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: That's looking like a yes.  You have no idea what you're thinking....and you've made -many- assertions about ghosts, vampires, unicorns and the like, in this thread..so I guess you have no idea what you're doing from one moment to the next, either.

Can you point me in the direction of anyone who -does- know what you think..or what you're doing?

I know what I'm thinking and I've already told you.  You must first be able to define something.  If you change the context of the conversation, then the problem isn't me.

As stated, I don't believe vampires, unicorns, goblins and ghouls exist, but I've also stated that doesn't mean they don't.  That's my "assertion."  Assuming they exist for the sake of discussion doesn't mean I've stated they exist with any specific quality.
So, no...?  You can't point me in the direction of anyone who knows what you're thinking...or what you're doing.
(December 4, 2018 at 5:08 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: So, no...?  You can't point me in the direction of anyone who knows what you're thinking...or what you're doing.

I think maybe you should be more concerned about what you're thinking and why you are thinking it.

Could it be a vampire is controlling your mind with magical powers?

Sorry, no vampires.  If you believe you've found one and can show me, let me know.
Maybe if I took out an ad in the classifieds we could scrape up somebody who knew what you thought, or what you were doing?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 6020 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 8351 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4451 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe