Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
RE: Evidence for a god. Do you have any ?
At work.

(December 30, 2018 at 10:04 pm)Angelina Wrote: Isn't everything that exists really evidence for God? Do you think the necessary chemicals and other building blocks of the universe could have just materialized out of thin air on their own? If so, how do you justify this belief?

Hello Angelina.

We currently know that the elements found on Earth originate within the nuclear furnace of stars.

Heavier elements require larger energies. These we see looking out into the space around us.

Very heavy elements require the death throws of said large, super luminous, stars.

So no, people do not say the elements 'Come from nothing'.

Cheers.
(December 30, 2018 at 11:18 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

(December 30, 2018 at 10:04 pm)Angelina Wrote: Isn't everything that exists really evidence for God? Do you think the necessary chemicals and other building blocks of the universe could have just materialized out of thin air on their own? If so, how do you justify this belief?

Hello Angelina.

We currently know that the elements found on Earth originate within the nuclear furnace of stars.

Heavier elements require larger energies. These we see looking out into the space around us.

Very heavy elements require the death throws of said large,  super luminous, stars.

So no, people do not say the elements 'Come from nothing'.

Cheers.
How did the stars come to be?
(December 30, 2018 at 11:09 pm)Angelina Wrote: But how is it possible that we are self aware humans with brains and love for each other etc, if there is nothing else like us anywhere in billions of galaxies and maybe multiple universes? 

Maybe we are unique in that, maybe not. I find it likely that there are other creatures elsewhere in the universe who are as cognitively complex as us simply due to the staggering size of the universe. I also tend to think that humans are somewhat enamored with ourselves. I don’t see how we are any better than many other animals or plants. It could be argued we are much dumber than some others. After all, you don’t see dolphins polluting our planet to the point where they might kill themselves off.

Quote:Why would we be unique and more importantly how would we be unique in those ways? Why would we be able to even have any experiences, if there were not some enabler of those experiences?

If you want to ascribe things to an agent you must first establish that an agent exists. If I pick up an object and say “this object is made by Tim” I first must show that there is a person, Tim, to make things. And that is aside from the fact that I have to show that the object was made by some agent.
(December 30, 2018 at 11:09 pm)Angelina Wrote: But how is it possible that we are self aware humans with brains and love for each other etc, if there is nothing else like us anywhere in billions of galaxies and maybe multiple universes?

How do you know there is no life elsewhere, perhaps some that have exceeded our level of intelligence and love ? Is it even logical to assume we are alone in the universe ?
We simply have no way of knowing, if you don't know simply say you don't know. 

Quote:Why would we be unique and more importantly how would we be unique in those ways?

What are you comparing us with to say we are unique, and what makes you believe those ways are the objectively (if such a thing exists) noble ?

Quote:Why would we be able to even have any experiences, if there were not some enabler of those experiences?

We don't know, but what reason do you have to throw a god in the mix ? We could possible be the least intelligent prime species in the universe, we simply do not know.

Again you are simply asserting as truth things you cannot possibly know.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(December 30, 2018 at 11:14 pm)Rahn127 Wrote:

A pot of gold is not evidence that leprechauns exist.
Flowers are not evidence that fairies exist.

Everything that exists is evidence of existence.

The energy of the universe didn't pop out of thin air.
When we observe the universe, we take measurements.
We have observed and noted some very consistent physical laws concerning matter and it's relationship with energy.

We have discovered forces that act upon matter and energy. We have the Gravitational Force, Weak Nuclear Force, Electromagnetic Force, Strong Nuclear Force.

A few physics classes can help you understand these better.

We have laws of motion that help to describe how bodies of matter interact with each other.

Our universe exists and we can explain to the best of our ability how planets & stars form through gravity and how life evolves through evolution.

We have some very exciting experiments that give us a good idea about how organic life can emerge from non organic chemicals, but as of yet we don't have the full picture. In time we will.

We justify all of our beliefs with evidence.

Do you have any evidence that a god exists ?
How are those forces acting upon matter and energy, if not by God? How did energy and matter even come to exist? Life is really the best evidence that God exists. How about that we can feel, taste, smell, hear, experience levels of emotion and fear and pain. I find it hard to believe all those things would just happen, without a creator.
At work.

Hello Angelina.

Stars and the solar systems around them form from the clouds of gas and dust scattered through and amongst the myriad galaxies. Including our own.

If I have time later and remember I shall try and link to an astronomy site which has a good article on such 'Stellar nurseries'.

Smile
(December 30, 2018 at 11:24 pm)Angelina Wrote: How are those forces acting upon matter and energy, if not by God? How did energy and matter even come to exist? Life is really the best evidence that God exists. How about that we can feel, taste, smell, hear, experience levels of emotion and fear and pain. I find it hard to believe all those things would just happen, without a creator.

*bold mine*
Again Angelina you are basing everything simply on belief that a god must be responsible, try dropping 'if not god then'' or ''I find it hard to believe without..'', they really are nothing more than decelerations of faith.

What do terms like 'come to exist' even mean, how do you know they are simply not part of a process for instance ?

Try simply asking how something works, if the answer is we don't know, then that's the answer, no need to add a god in anywhere.

Again try reading this link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/2014110...ist-at-all

And try and answer this question.

How can i tell the difference between faith and no god at all ?
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(December 30, 2018 at 11:22 pm)Natachan Wrote: Maybe we are unique in that, maybe not. I find it likely that there are other creatures elsewhere in the universe who are as cognitively complex as us simply due to the staggering size of the universe. I also tend to think that humans are somewhat enamored with ourselves. I don’t see how we are any better than many other animals or plants. It could be argued we are much dumber than some others. After all, you don’t see dolphins polluting our planet to the point where they might kill themselves off.

Well, ok so you have no problem believing there are other creatures elsewhere in the universe. But if that is true, and those creatures are more complex and more intelligent than we are, then you would have to also assume they may have been the creator of our universe.

(December 30, 2018 at 11:09 pm)Angelina Wrote: Why would we be unique and more importantly how would we be unique in those ways? Why would we be able to even have any experiences, if there were not some enabler of those experiences?

(December 30, 2018 at 11:22 pm)Natachan Wrote: If you want to ascribe things to an agent you must first establish that an agent exists. If I pick up an object and say “this object is made by Tim” I first must show that there is a person, Tim, to make things. And that is aside from the fact that I have to show that the object was made by some agent.

Who made up that rule? I believe God is demonstrated to us by what exists here and that includes life and our ability to be self aware and to experience things on many levels. Not one thing about being human seems like it could have just occured by random chance.
At work.

That's fine Angelina however if you believe that everything is the result of your diety. Plus you only have one diety. Then how do you reconcile 'Evil' being in reality?

Cheers. Smile
(December 30, 2018 at 11:39 pm)Angelina Wrote: Well, ok so you have no problem believing there are other creatures elsewhere in the universe. But if that is true, and those creatures are more complex and more intelligent than we are, then you would have to also assume they may have been the creator of our universe.

*bold mine*
Why are you making these random leaps, why on earth would they have been the creator of the universe ?

Quote:Not one thing about being human seems like it could have just occured by random chance.

Again a belief statement, nothing more.
Evolution is the most trusted scientific theory humankind has at the moment, why not read up on it ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 34 2785 July 17, 2024 at 7:34 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 4623 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 3589 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 4718 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 6610 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 524 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 12412 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 4051 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1198 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 3080 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball